Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 02:35 PM

207 posts, read 611,666 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody! Does anyone know much about the subs over by Sawgrass mall? We have seen some properties over there and they seem pretty nice, but I don't know much about the overall area. Like school, crime, and family friendliness. Let me know your thoughts....thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 11:17 PM

6 posts, read 17,890 times
hi! I dont live in the residences of Sawgrass but I live right around the corner from there off of 8th street right down the street from the sawgrass elementary school. We've lived here for 15 years now and I can tell you its a nice area to live in. I have friends who live in the residences of Sawgrass and they love it there. Low crime and the elementary school is excellent. My son has been there for 4 years now and has never had one problem with anything there. Theres also so much shopping and restaurants, doctors, dentist, everything I need is within 3 or 4 minutes from my house. Hope this helped and good luck!

Old 05-29-2009, 06:57 AM

Thank you, it does seem like a real nice area. All the shopping is there, but the neighborhood is tucked behind it. We are going to look at a few properties there soon. And I was curious about the school info so, awesome!

Old 05-29-2009, 09:23 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,783,258 times
The only glaring negative I can think of for that area is the middle and high schools (Plantation and Plantation, respectively). Everything else is good.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:59 PM

That s okay, I figured that much. But we have a few years till our little one hits middle and high school. I am glad to see that that is the only negative you have with the area. I think all of Broward's upper grade schools need some re-vamping, no? It seems like that is a problem no matter where you move. For the most part we think we are going private, but early on if we can't, for any reason we want a good elementary school, not only for our little one, but resale value.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:18 PM

3 posts, read 9,167 times
Another area of consideration is West Coral Springs or Weston. School system is good - excellent and you have I-75 to connect to all of South Florida. Good Luck!!!

Old 05-31-2009, 10:27 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,416,712 times
When I was in high school (at Plantation where that neighborhood is districted to) I had many friends that lived in those subdivisions. This was before the name change mind you closer to when they were built and called SFH's 13, etc. You get a good deal of bang for your buck but there is not a huge variety in floorplans as they were all designed by a single architect. The curving streets and great and definitely reduce through traffic and the speed bumps help to keep down on speeders but parking may be a problem if you have more than 2 cars or frequent visitors.

Your home elementary school would be Sawgrass Elementary on 8th, not sure of your middle and as I said before Plantation would be your high school. Plant is a bit of a trek from there, about 15 minutes or so and it is not the best public school. If your kids are honor or AP students they will do fine. I was happy with my teachers all through and did well on standardized tests but there are certainly many students there who could care less about their futures. If you are interested in private school, there is a good one on Broward and Flamingo that would be less than 5 minutes away. Not sure if it is denominational or not.

Good luck.

Last edited by surlycue; 05-31-2009 at 10:43 PM..

Old 05-31-2009, 10:33 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,674,595 times
^^^that private school is American Heritage and it's non-denominational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area