Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,892 times

Advertisements

Moving from boynton beach. I find it nice but BORING!! We have to move due to my husbands job. We have a 5yr old boy. Are there lots to do for kids. I like to go out to clubs sometimes but dont want to party at home or community. Would like to move to a safe community. Any info would help. THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 01:26 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,117 times
Plantation is slightly more exciting than Boynton Beach and Weston. Plantation is closer to Fort Lauderdale and the beach than Weston. Also, Plantation has more young people than Weston or Boynton Beach. Weston is more family-oriented.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:54 PM

99 posts, read 304,009 times
Off the top of my head, a good idea would be to look up a free publication that is published quarterly called Sports and Activities. It is left around town in Plantation, Weston and Pembroke Pines. If you don't have a copy, I can send you one, DM me your info and I will have my office send a copy to you.
Both areas are fun - there is alot to do in both towns. In Plantation, look up Volunteer Park, on Sunrise Blvd., Central Park off Cleary. Weston has alot of parks, and the largest is Weston Regional Park. But the surrounding areas provide lots to do - and they are very close. CB Smith Park for the water park, Davie has ranches for riding horses, lots and lots.
I'll think up more - write you later.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:20 PM

326 posts, read 1,452,611 times
If boredom is an issue for you, then I would recommend you stay east of I95. Choose Fort Lauderdale or the other towns along the coast. Trying to find a different level of boredom between Weston and Plantation is, in my opinion, splitting hair. It is suburbia, yes, Plantation as well. People like it, and the suburbia character is what they like about it. I respect that opinion, which is good otherwise there would not be enough space for the rest of us out east (lol!)

Old 06-01-2009, 07:28 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,706,856 times
^^^^ Agreed!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:16 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Both are very boring but there is no way I would call Plantation any younger or more exciting than Weston. Plantation has entire 55+ communities and the only the most generic in shopping and dining, albeit there are a few good mom and pop options mixed in. Weston acutally has a couple of small clubs and bars and some nicer restaurants along Weston Rd and Town Center, and the Bonaventure area (where I live) is mostly younger people without children or younger families that are "starting out", although there are quite a few empty nesters and retirees mixed in as well. Strangely, Weston has a sleepier feel to it, though.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:12 PM

245 posts, read 1,171,145 times
plantation is better.......weston is way out in the boonies to me....

Old 06-04-2009, 12:46 PM

157 posts, read 487,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakalakaboomboom View Post
Moving from boynton beach. I find it nice but BORING!! We have to move due to my husbands job. We have a 5yr old boy. Are there lots to do for kids. I like to go out to clubs sometimes but dont want to party at home or community. Would like to move to a safe community. Any info would help. THANKS!!
OK here I go.
Weston has 6 rollerblade hockey rinks,brand new YMCA with olympic size swimming pool,basketball courts,tennis courts,jogging/biking path, 6 soccer fields,6 baseball fields.These facilities are all at weston regional park. It also has a big optimists sports leagues. Many city parks like Indian trace park,indian mound park. Weston also has a bicycle lane on all its major roads for avid cyclists. Many good quality daycare centers for little ones. Good schools but overcrowded. Can get your car serviced in Weston at Rick Case honda. Many fast foods restaurants. Health spa in Weston. Many PGA golf courses. Major hospital is in Weston, the Cleveland Clinic. Nearby Markham County park has a mountain bike trail,a gun range, a remote control model airplane field,a dog park,many paths,barbecues and gazebos.Very good restaurant. best pizza at Anthonys. Nearby ikea is an awesome furniture store. Sawgrass mills mall is pretty close. I think it is one of the biggest malls. Weston is near everglades fish camp where one can take get an airboat ride and watch an indian wrestle an alligator,can launch a boat there as well as at Markham. Can jet ski at Markham park, Also remote control toy boat lake. Many nearby dude ranches in Davie to go horseback riding.Nearby Vista view County park has the only hills/mountains in Broward county though admittedly it was a landfill and the hills/mountains are made from the mounds of trash. Take 595 to beaches, about 20 minutes away. Alligator alley is nearby for a scenic drive through the everglades in the evening when the sun is setting.
I could go on. Plantation is nice too, but that would be another long story.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:54 PM

157 posts, read 487,448 times
Oh, I forgot to mention nearby Bergeron rodeo in Davie if you would like to watch a cowboy rope a steer. Also they have AKC dog competitions there.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:14 PM

207 posts, read 613,987 times
PLANTATION, it has beautiful parks, love My Gym, my daughter as been there for almost a year now, it is such a great program for wee bites and the staff, awesome. Plus they have a great deal of community activities. I am not familiar with that many 55+ communities, I know there are some, but I do not feel like I am swamped with an older crowd. Besides at least I know the older ones are not going to steal from me, right, he he. My little one is also starting Soccertots this Sat....Weston I find far from the beach and very busy. And I found it to be a little snooty compared to the families I have met in Plantation. The area I like the best in Plantation is Jacaranda, they have many walking paths and mature trees. Plus where we are located we can walk to alot of shopping which is great, and I think that is hard to find in SoFla. That is just my experience, everyone is different and likes different things. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area