Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 09:37 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times

Advertisements

-
MONEY
-

Quote:
WHY WE LOVE IT
A gated community where your neighbors are gators.

Population 69,081
Median Home Price $365,000
Property Tax $7,672
Unemployment rate 4.5%
Commute time 30 minutes

Just about any location worth its spot on the Best Places list can brag about great green space, and Weston—with a dozen sports fields, nearly 50 miles of lined bike lanes, and the 100-acre Weston Regional Park—is no exception. But Weston residents enjoy the kind of open space you won’t find in many places in the country. About 25 miles to the east is the Atlantic Ocean. And on Weston’s western flank is the Everglades, a resource that’s so iconic, there’s a likeness of it right on Weston’s town crest.

Geography is key to much of Weston’s success. Located within easy commuting distance of Miami and Fort Lauderdale, this planned community also offers abundant employment options, at companies including Cleveland Clinic Florida and Ultimate Software. Weston is at the top of our list for economic opportunity, a category driven largely by purchasing power. That means residents have to sink less of their household income (the median is $99,690 a year) to buy a home than residents in most places around the country. It’s also family-friendly: All the public schools have earned an A average from Florida’s Department of Education. “Weston,” says Pam Fishman, a stay-at-home mom and New York City transplant, “offers a truly wonderful quality of life.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 10:12 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Weird, I don't see Long Island anywhere on the list..... Must be broken.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:31 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
LOL..saw this AFTER I posted in in another thread.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:40 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Weird, I don't see Long Island anywhere on the list..... Must be broken.
LI is on the list! But writer must not live here & know Huntington at all. The Huntington Station area of Huntington is now officially one of the worst areas here. Gangs/Illegals/Drugs. Daily struggle for people in that part of Huntington. Loaded with illegal rooming/boarding houses. Really disgusting. Based on that alone Huntington itself should have never made this list. Oyster Bay is # 34. And Huntington came in at #39. But for Huntington yeah...if you go to far north portion by the water you can get $2 million dollar homes. Go further south closer to the LIRR station it is all abandoned & foreclosed homes with squatters. Looks disgusting. This is how I came across this as it was in our local Bellmore Patch since that is where we live for now. When I looked at entire list that was when I saw Weston was #8. And not all of Oyster Bay is good. Yeah it is nice by the water & our friends live on Oyster Bay Cove which is very nice. But there are parts of Oyster Bay that are not so good. But I am shocked at the 2 that made the list from LI. Would never have picked those 2. http://patch.com/new-york/bellmore/s...ntent=bellmore

Last edited by loribell38; 09-19-2016 at 11:50 PM..

Old 09-23-2016, 10:52 AM

633 posts, read 581,734 times
Weston es muy importante, la escuela fantastico.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
-
MONEY
-
99K average income is a joke. how can you afford to live?

Food, gas, electric, water, taxes, morgtage, HOA fees, groceries all expensive.

I am being serious. I see tons of one million dolllar homes for sale in Weston with 11K property taxes and monthly HOA fees, plus pool and lawn service. How can you do that on 99K

Old 09-23-2016, 11:14 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
99K average income is a joke. how can you afford to live?

Food, gas, electric, water, taxes, morgtage, HOA fees, groceries all expensive.

I am being serious. I see tons of one million dolllar homes for sale in Weston with 11K property taxes and monthly HOA fees, plus pool and lawn service. How can you do that on 99K
Do you know what "median" means?

I mean, the median income in Long Island is $10k/year LOWER and yet the median house price is $100,000/year HIGHER..... I would ask how you can afford to live in NY....

The people who live in $1M homes make a lot more than $99k/year.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Do you know what "median" means?

I mean, the median income in Long Island is $10k/year LOWER and yet the median house price is $100,000/year HIGHER..... I would ask how you can afford to live in NY....

The people who live in $1M homes make a lot more than $99k/year.
I can afford to live in Long Island as I have two little crappy homes with no mortgage. One is rented and the rental income covers full costs of both properties so I actually pay zero for housing.

Florida jobs pay around 80K less per year from what I see at my level.

I also got a job offer around Virginia area for around 35k less.

Both jobs heavily advertise lower cost of living. But not true. It is a much better quality of life. I can live in a huge 4K square foot house with a pool in a gated community, drive to work and work less house. It seems great.

Just not cost effective. In NYC for lets say a Head of household with a stay at home spouse and 2-3 kids who is a professional with a grade degree, 200K-250K jobs are a dime a dozen. In florida they make you feel like you won lottery. And then what happens if you lost job? And Florida jobs are spread out, Boca, Palm Beach, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville. While NYC jobs are nearly all in Manhattan or within 10 miles of Manhattan.

I am doing it and hope it works out. But I am not selling either of my homes. Too risky. Florida real estate does not appreciate as much and if I lose job and want to come back to NY I wont be able to afford it.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:47 PM

443 posts, read 896,095 times
Based on your collective posts in this forum, it really sounds like you should stay in New York. South Florida is not for you. You would be very unhappy here.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:56 PM

240 posts, read 262,127 times
CC and Weston's safe bike lanes are a huge plus and it's a very safe area as crime is non-existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area