Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:58 PM

35 posts, read 99,515 times

Advertisements

I live in South Beach actually south of 5th and I really don't like it. I'm directly across from my boys "top rated" elementary school but the street (Alton Rd) is too dangerous for them to cross because traffic just does not stop and the flashing lights do nothing. Often times when both lanes eventuall stop somone flies around them in the left turn lane and proceeds straight. It's frighteneing and after 2 years too many, we are finally moving. I too love the beach and wish there were more families here. I considered Surfside, but then I found Satellite Beach. Really low crime, excellent schools... and I mean excellent. The bonus... 200k for a home will get you a block or two from the water. Rentals range from just under 1k to 5k. There are millon dollar homes if you desireand a few condo developments but not many. Excellent programs for kids and so much too both Parks 'n' Rec and otherwise. Satellite beach is mainly single family homes and a family neighborhood. Only 1 hotel on the beach, not very touristy just made for families. Future community re-development restrictions ensure that it will remain that way as well. Very "Mayberry" and they want to keep it that way. Most of the homes are older, many are updated and a few are just plain ugly, not as shiny new as some would like, but it is a classic "Old Florida" beach town and if you're really itching for newly built home in a new community (there's just the one) Mecedes Homes is building the Monticello development there. You can check it out online... it's a steal and by the beach!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 08:30 AM

469 posts, read 1,323,132 times
also wondered this about the schools near beaches. We would live walking distance near a beach in a heartbeat if we could find a safe community with decent schools.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:19 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,775,767 times
I see Satellite Beach is near Cape Canaveral. Current administration is slashing NASA budget and cancelling programs, Space Shuttle is going to be retired soon. I wonder how this will affect the economy of the that region. Nearby Titusville is already a pretty depressed town, from what I hear.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:20 AM

346 posts, read 1,336,494 times
How about the Lighthouse Point area? If you want communities with kids this is the place. The elementary school (Norcrest Elementary) is starting an IB (International Baccalaureate) program. The middle school that is zoned in the area also has the program as well as the high school nearby. We are bordered by Pompano Beach, but the Lighthouse Point parents are driving the schools cirriculum to a higher standard. My son attends the elementary school right now and we love the program so far. The parents are very involved with the school and that's a key to making any school better. People think that living east is not for people with children, but I moved from west to east and I hate even the though of crossing I-95 to do or go anywhere. If you want to see what Lighthouse Point is like you should go to our city and parks here on the weekends and you'll hear the sounds of children everywhere! You'll see people jogging all day and night long, children riding their bikes or walking to their friends place, organized sports done by the city, and parents taking their kids to the parks to play. It's quite a close knit community. I've invited a friend of mine who lives in Parkland to visit with his kids on the weekend and he says his city doesn't have this type of atmosphere. We're a really kids friendly community. Check it out.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:17 PM

622 posts, read 1,657,985 times
Boca has great schools, and if you're thinking Ft Lauderdale, check out the Victoria Park area (as mentioned before) as well as Poinsettia Heights. Great neighborhoods, very charming, older, but very well maintained, and decent schools in the area too. Also check out www.browardschools.com for ratings. Good luck!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:12 AM

35 posts, read 99,515 times
Hey Ruski...

You are right, they're looking at shutting down the existing space program, but also looking at other programs that will employ some of the current work force as well. Titusville has a high concentration of people that will be affected by these changes, as does Cocoa and Merritt. That aside, this county also has a tremendous amount of technology and other industries that are not connected and will not be impacted. It is far more diversified than people see at first glance. Undeniably there will be the trickle down effect, but like almost every other community, they all have their weakness in this current economy and job market.

However.... For the third time this year, Brevard County has been highlighted as a thriving, stable community. The Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) took the #18 spot on Forbes Magazine’s Best-Bang-For-The-Buck Cities annual list.

I'd think (lol... or hope) they do a little more research than I and have a more complete picture. All kidding aside, Satellite Beach had and still has my vote as the best beach community to raise your family, or just live your life.

Last edited by SuperMom...; 03-21-2010 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: typo :)

Old 03-22-2010, 07:01 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,129,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
How about the Lighthouse Point area? If you want communities with kids this is the place. The elementary school (Norcrest Elementary) is starting an IB (International Baccalaureate) program. The middle school that is zoned in the area also has the program as well as the high school nearby. We are bordered by Pompano Beach, but the Lighthouse Point parents are driving the schools cirriculum to a higher standard. My son attends the elementary school right now and we love the program so far. The parents are very involved with the school and that's a key to making any school better. People think that living east is not for people with children, but I moved from west to east and I hate even the though of crossing I-95 to do or go anywhere. If you want to see what Lighthouse Point is like you should go to our city and parks here on the weekends and you'll hear the sounds of children everywhere! You'll see people jogging all day and night long, children riding their bikes or walking to their friends place, organized sports done by the city, and parents taking their kids to the parks to play. It's quite a close knit community. I've invited a friend of mine who lives in Parkland to visit with his kids on the weekend and he says his city doesn't have this type of atmosphere. We're a really kids friendly community. Check it out.
I grew up in LHP in the 70s and lived there after I married and had kids. Was just back a couple of weeks ago and it is still beautiful.

After investigating the school situation (middle and high), I've decided to move to east Boca. We can live within biking distance to the beach and the public schools are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area