Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:45 PM

8 posts, read 11,605 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am not familiar with the Plantation/Ft Lauderdale area, and just accepted a job offer there, and will be moving from NC by 1 August. I recently was discharged from the military and am starting a job with the IRS, beginning on a decent, but meager, salary of approx 32,500/yr. After 90 days, I hope this will begin to increase! LoL

Being as I have to do all my apt hunting online, I could use any and all helpful info!! I've been told a few neighborhoods to look in (Lauderdale Lakes, Davie, Tamarak, etc) but what I'm actually hoping for would be suggestions on specific complexes..Though any info will be helpful!

What I am looking for is simply a nice 1-2 bdrm apt ranging up to $800?? I don't know how feasible this is, but I'm thinking on that yearly salary, this would be the most realistic...? I don't expect luxury living by any means, but do not want to end up in a run-down, bad area that looks better online that it actually is!

I would prefer 2 bdrms, but could do a 1 bdrm if there was some kind of outdoor storage closet or something, as I have a lot of crap! haha..

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Got about 30 days to make this move, so thank you in advance for your assistance! I'm very excited to become a Florida resident!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 03:30 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,813,454 times
Whoever told you to look in Lauderdale Lakes and Tamarac for apartment complexes must not like you very much. All of the best complexes are in Plantation proper, although for 800 a month you are better off looking at the Coral Springs area. Plantation will run closer to 900-1000 for something decent and in a complex.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:33 PM

Hmm.. Ok, I will try looking in Coral Springs, thank you..

Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,813,454 times
The Pembroke Pines area also has quite a few rentals that might hover around 850. If you don't mind private owner, you can find something in the Bonaventure CC area of Weston (where I live) for 850-950 a month. Very central location and almost too safe.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,433,707 times
Coral Springs is nice, but a little out of the way from Plantation. Whatever you save in rent you'll eat up with gas and tolls commuting. You're much better off living either in Plantation or a surrounding suburb. Look in places like Davie, Sunrise, Pembroke Pines, and Cooper City. I'd stay away from Lauderdale Lakes and Tamarac.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:41 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,825,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
The Pembroke Pines area also has quite a few rentals that might hover around 850. If you don't mind private owner, you can find something in the Bonaventure CC area of Weston (where I live) for 850-950 a month. Very central location and almost too safe.
The OP should be very careful about renting from a private owner. People are having their deposits stolen by owners who go into foreclosure. I know people who have had this happen. It is becoming very common.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:51 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,343,777 times
Yes listen to the above - too many have been burned. Take a look at the Davie area as well. Plantation might be your best bet for location. Check out realtor.com - good luck to you.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:50 AM

Thank you all for the very helpful information.. Based off the first response, I actually found a very nice place in Coral Springs (The Palms at Forest Hills), but am a little leary of the commute.. I origianlly listed my price range as up to 800, but upon further budgeting I am now working with 800-900, which should help the search a little... Will try searching in the above mentioned areas, thanks so much you guys..! Hoping to narrow it down and nail down a new home this week !!!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I'd stay away from Lauderdale Lakes and Tamarac.
I found a very lovely place in Tamarc (Archstone Gardens), just wondered why you suggested I stay away from that area??

Old 07-06-2009, 12:56 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,825,895 times
The nicest part of Tamarac in in the west. The neighborhoods are ok but there are large percentages of senior citizens. There are some sketchy neighborhoods in Tamarac, but most areas west of University are ok. I think the neighborhood you are looking is ok, but I don't know about the specific complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area