Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 03:21 AM

823 posts, read 1,125,956 times

Advertisements

So, this must be a Florida thing? I also get treated unprofessionally and with disrespect from the people in middle management. I've been threatened with termination at least 3 times, they throw that around like there's no repercussions to them for wrongfully terminating someone. (The latest termination threat was by a manager who told me he would fire me if I used sick leave, even though I've had perfect attendance since starting this job)
I hate to turn it into a discrimination thing, but all of the middle managers at my job are Cubans and I never see them treat other Cuban employees this way, but they have no problem taking cheap shots at the white guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 04:42 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffany08 View Post
Okay i quit my job becasue was getting yelled at and cursed out and it was 86 degrees in the office my sister owns the company, so i sent in a letter of resignation: Moderator cut: removed actual names
Please accept this letter as notification that I am leaving my position with Moderator cut: removed name of actual company as of June 22th 2009. I am sorry to inform you that I feel I can not work in a unethical, unprofessional and unbearingly warm work enviorment.

Best Regards,
And they send me 2 letters: i really dont give a ****!!!! you guys are a bunch of traders and conspirators good luck and god bless!!! peace!!!
:: and :: you dont need to give me a resignation you were fired!!!!!!!

meanwhile I waws never told i was fired or got a letter of termination
There has to be employee rights.. you cant keep cursing and screaming at employees and keep them in 86 degrees what an i do legally????
Go file unemployment, You might have to wait 6 weeks to collect, but if it is found in your favor that you had to leave or were fired for complaining about the work environment then you might get to get back unemployment for those 6 weeks

You can only collect if you were fired so don't say you quit.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:03 PM

440 posts, read 517,504 times
Default Get Real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
RMD

a lot of people believe that non sense and it simply isn't true. Of course you have rights. There are federal laws (which supersede state laws) that employers can not cross. Why do you think they try to document EVERYTHING before firing someone at a job (unless you work for morons). You can turn around and sue them for wrongful termination or discrimination. For example not giving a person the necessary tools to complete their job, that's grounds fora law suit. Or creating or fostering a hostile work environment. You guys gotta learn your rights man. People don't organize into unions down here which is a shame, but you gotta hold these companies accountable. Some of these places are being run by barbarians.
Unless it's a case of out and out racial discrimination or sexual harassment, most labor attorney's in South Florida aren't interested in our case, if you can find a labor attorney here as they are few and far between.

You can't file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission unless the company has 15 or more employees. That's the law. I got them to investigate a case because a major national employer never contacted me for an interview after they asked me the year I was born and also the year I graduated from high school on their job application, which gave anyone who could do basic math my age. This employer has a long standing reputation for only hiring "young" people to work in it's retail clothing stores.

My case that the EEOC accepted dragged on for over a year and a half because the agents were, "receiving a record number of cases to investigate," and all they came up with after all that time that they were supposed to be investigating my case was "inconclusive," in regard to their findings and told me I had a certain amount of time to find my own attorney, but none of the few law firms that handle employee complaints against employers wanted to handle a case that the government had labeled, "inconclusive."

When I asked for a copy of the report about the investigation to determine why I was never called for an interview even though I had extensive job experience and asked if the EEOC had determined the ages of the people who were called for interviews and who was hired, I was told that information was only available to me if I got a subpoena for it through an attorney. All the documentation I received was just a copy of a letter written to the EEOC from the CEO of the company I filed the complaint against in which he stated, "We don't discriminated based on age." End game as far as the EEOC seemed to be concerned.

When I couldn't find an attorney to handle the case, I contacted the American Civil Liberties Union and was told by one of their executives, "We don't consider age discrimination a civil rights issue."

There was another case I was involved in locally where a director of a museum run by the State of Florida was taking things that were owned by the State of Florida and giving them away so I blew the whistle on the director by reporting it to the State.

Guess what? There's nothing in the Whistle Blower Law in Florida that covers protecting an employee from being fired for reporting their boss stealing from the State, plus the State set it up so you can't receive punitive damages from a judge or jury for blowing the whistle on a State employee breaking the law if you should be fired, as I was, for doing so.

All you can get if you sue and win is your job back and pay for the time you weren't allowed to work for the State. I was lucky that my case was settled out of court because the State didn't want all the bad publicity about their museum director, who was eventually, after years of complaints, retired from their job with a nice pension, but I was told I could never work for the State of Florida again, even though I was the honest person who upheld the law in regard to stealing State of Florida property.

I have been called derogatory names in front of co-workers and customers by a boss at one job, cut out of getting hours that another boss was telling male employees weren't available that he was telling female employees to sign up for at a major department store in Fort Lauderdale, was denied being scheduled for previously given preferred hours based on seniority after I became the top person in seniority at that job, and on and on.

None of this sort of thing ever happened to me when I lived and worked in places outside South Florida so I'd suggest you should think twice before telling someone they have protections in the Fort Lauderdale area as the work force here is treated like they live in some third world country.

There really are no worker rights that are enforced much here like you read or hear about in other places so it's probably not a good idea to put in writing that a person has worker rights in South Florida unless you can find an attorney who will try to get them enforced in the Good Old Boy network where business works hand in hand with government here and that government, supposedly run by and for the people, is set up to protect the businesses and not afford workers here labor rights. Right to Work in Florida doesn't mean you have the right to work in Florida. The Right to Work law in Florida means that the employers have all the rights if you want to work here.

And even if you can find an attorney to take on a blatant case of the violation of the flimsy amount of rights workers have in South Florida that are in place only because of mostly federal laws, it could end up that attorney will only be acting like they are going to help you in order to take a free ride on your bank account which has also happened to me with three different law firms in the Fort Lauderdale area where they got the money and none of what I thought were my rights were diligently fought to be upheld.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:57 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
If you feel you are experiencing discrimination (verbal, etc) start a paper trail. Turn on your IPhone to record, write a transcript of the conversation. The recording is not admissible in Florida, but the transcript becomes your record.
But remember that Florida like most states are at-will employment, meaning unless you can prove discrimination AND you are a 'protected ' class (every race but white) you are SOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: