Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
you don't do the shopping in your home do you.
Yes I do. I didn't say that it would cover the food bill.

Maybe you don't understand that food stamps were never meant by the USDA to provide 100% of a persons monthly grocery bill, but rather to supplement the budget in order to help provide more nutritious foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 06:48 PM

5 posts, read 12,911 times
Go to Cornerstone Church or behind the Davie Police station, there is ..I forgot what it's called..but they have a one time thing program to get groceries there.
Cornerstone helped a couple of people I know and they were not members even of that church.
That's the way things should be in these times.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:29 PM

13,621 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
Unfortunately, I have about 600 a month in bills (car payment, insurance and credit card bills) and I'm not exactly a teenager without any expenses to pay for.

I have expenses I have to pay for and I need to get full time work soon.
To the OP, I know I'm jumping in late here, but I DON'T FEEL SORRY FOR YOU. In November, I quit my job where I was making $675/week so I could go back to school. I have a wife and baby, and I had a $375/month truck payment. Guess what I did, I sold the truck and bought an older one cash. No more payment. I'm working 18 hours a week for $10/hour right now in addition to full-time school, I have never had any credit card debt because I don't buy crap I don't need. I don't have cable TV. Don't go begging for assistance from the government when you are living well above your means.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:07 AM

305 posts, read 805,530 times
Im in the process of selling my car and going to school, I appled for a school loan and when I get the loan, Im going to use the eextra money topay off CCCS. That's 120 a month and that should be a huge load off.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:29 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
To the OP, I know I'm jumping in late here, but I DON'T FEEL SORRY FOR YOU. In November, I quit my job where I was making $675/week so I could go back to school. I have a wife and baby, and I had a $375/month truck payment. Guess what I did, I sold the truck and bought an older one cash. No more payment. I'm working 18 hours a week for $10/hour right now in addition to full-time school, I have never had any credit card debt because I don't buy crap I don't need. I don't have cable TV. Don't go begging for assistance from the government when you are living well above your means.
Yes you're jumping in late and don't know anything about the OP. He has medical conditions including Sickle Cell. He lives with his MOM and pays for some of her expenses too, because she was a realtor nuf said about her income having changed. He paid a couple of thousand dollars for an IT program that scammed him. He's BEEN going to school AND WORKING.

And if you wanna do comparisons he never got himself in the position of having to support a wife and BABY that he can't afford, it's just him and mom.

He is practically qualified for SSI but for his medical condition being SOMEWHAT under control but if you don't know about Sickle Cell then you really can't speak to his issues. Sickle Cell limits a person very much. Not even discussing his "other" conditions having to do with speech.

People are not able to work 18 hours per day with Sickle Cell, they're lucky to work 40 without collapsing. One might suggest YOU"RE living "above your means" by having children you can't support without working 18 hours per day, but that would be rude, right? Hope you don't get Sickle Cell on top of it.

Why would you have a 375 per month car payment making 10.00 per hour? Hello? I never had that big payment and always made over 30.00 per hour as a union worker not even including making alot more as management.

You're working 38 hours per month for your truck BEFORE taxes so if you're in a 17 percent bracket you're working 46 hours per month after tax for the truck. Not exactly a family vehicle either.

See it gets dicey picking someone else's personal life apart when you're in a similar situation but yours was of your own doing, the OP had medical challenges from the jump.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:36 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Yet another helpful, compassionate post

Old 07-15-2009, 10:38 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhostr View Post
Go to Cornerstone Church or behind the Davie Police station, there is ..I forgot what it's called..but they have a one time thing program to get groceries there.
Cornerstone helped a couple of people I know and they were not members even of that church.
That's the way things should be in these times.
AHHHH I'm so glad you said that it reminded me of Angel Food Ministries.

Several families in my office used Angel Food Ministries. You pay like 25.00 for a good bunch of food it's a national network. It's not "charity" it's a program for anyone who wants to participate by businesses who I think donate overstock at a cheaper rate.

Here's how it works and the menu you can pick from. It's not bad, normal stuff.

Welcome*- Angel Food Ministries

BOCA RATON Victory Christian Center 561-391-2800

COOPER CITY The Pentecostals of Cooper City 954-680-0710
954-680-0670

DAVIE Calvary Chapel Sawgrass 954-424-8046 x14

HOLLYWOOD First Assembly of God 954-536-3024
954-536-3459

Harvest Time Church 954-966-8444
305-432-5108

MIAMI Sunrise Presbyterian Church 305-821-5841

MIAMI LAKES Panorama Christian Center 305-698-0765

MIRAMAR Keys to Life Church 954-987-3611

TAMARAC Community Christian Church 954-724-7400 x23

Old 07-16-2009, 08:36 AM

552 posts, read 592,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yes you're jumping in late and don't know anything about the OP. He has medical conditions including Sickle Cell. He lives with his MOM and pays for some of her expenses too, because she was a realtor nuf said about her income having changed. He paid a couple of thousand dollars for an IT program that scammed him. He's BEEN going to school AND WORKING.

And if you wanna do comparisons he never got himself in the position of having to support a wife and BABY that he can't afford, it's just him and mom.

He is practically qualified for SSI but for his medical condition being SOMEWHAT under control but if you don't know about Sickle Cell then you really can't speak to his issues. Sickle Cell limits a person very much. Not even discussing his "other" conditions having to do with speech.

People are not able to work 18 hours per day with Sickle Cell, they're lucky to work 40 without collapsing. One might suggest YOU"RE living "above your means" by having children you can't support without working 18 hours per day, but that would be rude, right? Hope you don't get Sickle Cell on top of it.

Why would you have a 375 per month car payment making 10.00 per hour? Hello? I never had that big payment and always made over 30.00 per hour as a union worker not even including making alot more as management.

You're working 38 hours per month for your truck BEFORE taxes so if you're in a 17 percent bracket you're working 46 hours per month after tax for the truck. Not exactly a family vehicle either.

See it gets dicey picking someone else's personal life apart when you're in a similar situation but yours was of your own doing, the OP had medical challenges from the jump.
Good post RWS.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:11 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yes you're jumping in late and don't know anything about the OP
Yep good post.

He could have worded the whole thing differently, maybe suggest selling the car, avoiding getting into more debt, if his true intention was to help the OP

Old 07-18-2009, 12:18 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
you work part time. try working full time and file again. part time is an automatic denial

11$ is WAY over the minimum wage. automatic denial.

should i go on? but im sure its been covered in the 14 pages already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area