Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:44 PM

39 posts, read 134,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Don't frequent ho's ..... I mean prostitutes .... no problem
It isn't so "cutesy" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)---for the people who actually have to live here. If you're here 24/7 and not just for a weekend night, dealing with the open prostitution, drug dealing and the like isn't such a chuckle. Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by fauve; 07-15-2009 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 01:45 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriW58 View Post
Amen! Kudos to both you and "Compelled To Reply". You took the words out of my mouth; Hollywood's problem is that is has been attempting (beginning with Mayor Mara's 20-year dictatorship) to be something it is NOT. This isn't a metropolitan city---it was never intended to be that. It was planned as a bedroom town---a small, quirky beach town. (We used to attract surfers and GENUINE artist/boho types.) So, all they do is keep putting on the rose-colored glasses and making horrible decisions, which, unfortunately, have to be backed up with all-too-real MONEY. And there it goes, down the drain yet again. Wild Style and Compelled To Reply need to get themselves on the commission!
So you want malls, skating, bowling, high end retailers, for it to be more like Ft L beach or Orlando, but you want it to remain a quirky beach town with artists, surfers and true bohos? I'm confused.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
So you want malls, skating, bowling, high end retailers, for it to be more like Ft L beach or Orlando, but you want it to remain a quirky beach town with artists, surfers and true bohos? I'm confused.
I don't know why you're confused. Hollywood WAS all that at one time. How long have you lived here in this city? I've lived here for 48 years. Like I said, Hollywood is MUCH larger than just the Broadwalk or the little Downtown enclave, yet it was always able to maintain the quirky, small town feel. We could hang out at the Broadwalk or the Intracoastal (where you could park for FREE with nothing blocking your view) all day, then go skating, bowling or BACK to the beach to jump on the trampolines or play mini-golf at night.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:25 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Quote:
I don't know why you're confused. Hollywood WAS all that at one time. How long have you lived here in this city? I've lived here for 48 years. Like I said, Hollywood is MUCH larger than just the Broadwalk or the little Downtown enclave, yet it was always able to maintain the quirky, small town feel. We could hang out at the Broadwalk or the Intracoastal (where you could park for FREE with nothing blocking your view) all day, then go skating, bowling or BACK to the beach to jump on the trampolines or play mini-golf at night.

Long enough to remember it when it was a Canadian tourist enclave with no bohemian/artist personality. The highlight was the used bookstore and the plumbing supply store. There might have been a pizza delivery place and some take-out Chinese. The broadwalk was ugly and the shops along it were all tacky t-shirt places.

If you're nostaligic for the old Hollywood you might want to check out Daytona Beach.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:34 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post

If you're nostaligic for the old Hollywood you might want to check out Daytona Beach.

And the main difference is that the world used to end at State Road 7. Then they built all of that stuff out in Pembroke Pines which didn't exist before, so that's why Hollywood lost it's mall and all what not. You can still go skating and then go to the beach, but you do have to drive another 20 minutes west and the beach is more adult oriented now, even though in an odd way it probably attracts a younger overall crowd now.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post

And the main difference is that the world used to end at State Road 7. Then they built all of that stuff out in Pembroke Pines which didn't exist before, so that's why Hollywood lost it's mall and all what not. You can still go skating and then go to the beach, but you do have to drive another 20 minutes west and the beach is more adult oriented now, even though in an odd way it probably attracts a younger overall crowd now.
What I meant was that you could do all those things and never leave the Hollywood city limits. I remember when we had to go to North Miami to shop for school clothes because there was nothing in Hollywood and then all the stores and malls arrived and you had everything you needed right here. My sister used to surf at the beach and we could put a boat right into the water along the Intracoastal and water ski all day. I've been hearing since the 1980s how Downtown Hollywood is on the VERGE of becoming a thriving, vibrant community and to this day, that has not happened. So, you'll have to forgive me if I get a bit annoyed hearing the same shpiel over and over again as I cruise by vacant storefront after vacant storefront. Oh yeah, and the Arts Academy just closed as well, after 15 years. They were selling off the contents of the place last weekend. Yes, you can still go skating or bowling or shop at great stores, but you have to leave Hollywood to do it.
Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by fauve; 07-16-2009 at 06:39 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 07:30 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
What I meant was that you could do all those things and never leave the Hollywood city limits. I remember when we had to go to North Miami to shop for school clothes because there was nothing in Hollywood and then all the stores and malls arrived and you had everything you needed right here. My sister used to surf at the beach and we could put a boat right into the water along the Intracoastal and water ski all day. I've been hearing since the 1980s how Downtown Hollywood is on the VERGE of becoming a thriving, vibrant community and to this day, that has not happened. So, you'll have to forgive me if I get a bit annoyed hearing the same shpiel over and over again as I cruise by vacant storefront after vacant storefront. Oh yeah, and the Arts Academy just closed as well, after 15 years. They were selling off the contents of the place last weekend. Yes, you can still go skating or bowling or shop at great stores, but you have to leave Hollywood to do it.
Moderator cut: rude
Yeah that sign the owner left in front of the arts academy was pretty sad.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I'm a South Florida native, born in Miami, but lived in the Hollywood area since the age of 2 in the early 60s. I still live here now and I have to say, I agree with your assessments of this city. The areas that "Fauves" keeps mentioning as "hip and affordable" are two relatively small areas and that is part of the problem. Hollywood consists of a LOT larger area than the beach and the Downtown district and the rest of it is seriously neglected. Wild Style's "long post" hit the nail right on the head. I can remember when this town really WAS a vibrant place with desirable residents and lots of things to do, but no more. We used to go skating, bowling, shopping at the malls (yes, we really DID have all those things at one time)-------now, you have to leave the city limits in order to find anything like that. My goddaughter, who was born and raised here as well, went away to college at UCF in Orlando and when she comes home for breaks or holidays now, she and her friends complain how "ghetto" Hollywood is. She got away from this place and saw what an actual thriving town REALLY was so she now has something by which to judge it. She and her friends frequent Ft. Lauderdale beach more than they do Hollywood when they're home. And of course, they HAVE to leave the city if they want to shop at an actual high-end retailer and not the Dollar Store.
Oh and by the way, those "upscale" loft apartments are doing real well in Downtown Hollywood. If you take a ride down there at night, there are maybe TEN lights on in the ENTIRE Radius building! I'm all for being optimistic, but SOME of us have been waiting for those "good things" to happen to Downtown since the 1980s when it had its FIRST makeover with the cobblestone streets and lamp posts. It isn't JUST the economy, since there have been some good times, too, and that area has ALWAYS struggled.
Over the last two years I have been spending time walking around Hollywood on foot. The downtown and the north and south lakes area to be specific. Taking pictures and getting to know the area. I do this for almost every older part of Ft. Lauderdale. I have done this in rio vista, victoria park, Flagler village, progresso village, sailboat bend, riverside, tarpon bend, and on and on. I have to say the two places I have seen with the poorest outlook are hollywood and dania.

Hollywood does have a chance IF they got rid of every city official and start from scratch. They would need to get rid of ALL those half way houses and rehabs near the downtown and beef up police patrols and do a host of other things. But from the sounds of things I don't see that happening. I hope for you residents it gets better though. I was very close to renting over there but when i saw the guy with his goods on display I washed my hands of the place.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Over the last two years I have been spending time walking around Hollywood on foot. The downtown and the north and south lakes area to be specific. Taking pictures and getting to know the area. I do this for almost every older part of Ft. Lauderdale. I have done this in rio vista, victoria park, Flagler village, progresso village, sailboat bend, riverside, tarpon bend, and on and on. I have to say the two places I have seen with the poorest outlook are hollywood and dania.

Hollywood does have a chance IF they got rid of every city official and start from scratch. They would need to get rid of ALL those half way houses and rehabs near the downtown and beef up police patrols and do a host of other things. But from the sounds of things I don't see that happening. I hope for you residents it gets better though. I was very close to renting over there but when i saw the guy with his goods on display I washed my hands of the place.
Didn't you say you were working on a "project" of some sort regarding these photos? I'd really be interested in seeing it when you've finished. Were you here taking pictures a few years back? Back around 2006, my friend called to tell me there was a homeless man in a wheelchair sitting on the sidewalk by the street at Young Circle and he had died right there. Someone just covered him up with a sheet and business was going on all around him as usual. There is a homeless shelter on Federal Highway, North of Young Circle----people nicknamed it the Pigeon Roost. There are sex offenders residing in that place along with the regular homeless. We aren't talking quirky, eccentric characters here, we're talking SCARY, criminally insane people. I believe when you washed your hands, you were smart. I just hope you used anti-bacterial soap!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Didn't you say you were working on a "project" of some sort regarding these photos? I'd really be interested in seeing it when you've finished. Were you here taking pictures a few years back? Back around 2006, my friend called to tell me there was a homeless man in a wheelchair sitting on the sidewalk by the street at Young Circle and he had died right there. Someone just covered him up with a sheet and business was going on all around him as usual. There is a homeless shelter on Federal Highway, North of Young Circle----people nicknamed it the Pigeon Roost. There are sex offenders residing in that place along with the regular homeless. We aren't talking quirky, eccentric characters here, we're talking SCARY, criminally insane people. I believe when you washed your hands, you were smart. I just hope you used anti-bacterial soap!
Yes I am working on a photography series, specifically about the affects of this economic storm we are in. I have taken two pictures in Hollywood and I am taking others around fort lauderdale. I don't want the series to be Hollywood specific, but about south Florida in particular. So i am traveling around taking pictures which shed light on the devastation that is being caused right now.

As for that area north of young circle. Yeah, there was a article in the sun sentinel about what you are saying. They said the residents in that area are really upset about it and they have been complaining about it to the city.

I couldn't find the news article about it but here is the Hollywood Lakes Section Civic Association website saying basically what the Sun Sentinel said

Quote:
RAC Moratorium on Institutional Facilities the HLSCA was asked to participate in a new group of concerned residents that represent the east Hollywood area including Downtown Hollywood. The group will consist of the Downtown Hollywood Business Association (DHBA), the Hollywood Landlords Assn., the Royal Poinciana Civic Assn. and the HLSCA. Some residents, property owners and civic leaders living in Central Hollywood and the Downtown area, are frustrated by the perceived lack of action on behalf of the City regarding the crime and the heavy influx of institutional facilities such as social service agencies, halfway houses and parole offices located around Downtown. In addition, there has developed a faulty perception or stigma about Central Hollywood. The East Side Coalition will be looking at solutions and making recommendations, not just to City officials, but to County and State officials. One such recommendation would be to enact an ordinance limiting the number of social services agencies in residential neighborhoods and, perhaps, setting a boundary in between these facilities. We are happy to report that the City Commission, at their May 20th Commission meeting, voted to enact a one (1) year moratorium on institutional facilities in the Regional Activity Center (RAC) which covers most of central Hollywood to 17th Ave. on the east. The HLSCA Board of Directors supports this moratorium. Because crime in the Lakes is a constant concern of the HLSCA Board of Directors, we will be monitoring this effort and will report on any progress. On July 1st, the Commission passed on first reading this moratorium but limited the area to the Regional Activity Center (RAC) and reduced the period to six months.

link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area