Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:45 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
You admitted you based your opinion of HOllywood on you frequenting restuarants in the area. I on the other hand have provided first hand knowledge of the actual neighborhoods in downtown Hollywood from news articles, from what I have seen first hand, what 3 people I know who have lived there and a realtor friend who handles a lot of the foreclosures in that area for two banks. I also had a friend living there who now lives in North Miami. His apartment in downtown Hollywood was burgalrized while he was sleeping inside.
I have friends who live in Hollywood too. One in a house in the Lakes and another who lived in an apt on Van Buren west of US1 and south of Hollywood Blvd for 6 years. The friend who lived in Hollywood before the gentrification is the interesting one. We frequently visited him and walked home from clubs at 1 or 2 in the AM. Yes, it was sketchy but there were 5 of us and we felt safe. Would I have walked home as a single female alone? No. But, I dont think any former Nyc-er would lack the street sense to try this.

My daughter recently had her 17th birthday party at the Marriott on Ocean Dr. Would you really think I would take her personal safety or those of her friends casually? Do you think their parents (all the parents of private school kids) would have allowed their kids to attend if they thought the broadwalk was unsafe? Please.

I also have friends in Weston. Have they been robbed? Yes. Not while they were in the house, but alarm systems and locked doors are good things to have wherever you live.

And, btw, you were seriously considering living there a few weeks ago. How acquainted with it could you be? I've been visiting Hollywood for the past 20 years and have been downtown on an almost weekly basis for the past 5 years.

Quote:
To recommend something like this to a person based on non facts is irresponsible. Never knew wanting to be safe should be taken so casually :S
My facts are as solid as yours. Just a difference in personal tolerance. That's why I suggest to everyone that they need to check it for themselves. I do not take personal safety casually AT ALL.

And btw, I hate arguing with you (or anyone for that matter). Can we please just get along?

Quote:
To the OP there are about three or four news articles I provided in the link I gave about Hollywood, I think a few of them are not even two or three months old. By all means read them and go check the neighborhood out for yoruself if you can. Don't just go to restuarants or to the beach as you will not be living in either of those. Go into the neighborhoods, walk around and see the people and whats going on in the neighborhood itself.
Check out east of A1A in the Lakes area for garden apt and the broardwalk if you want a beach condo.

Last edited by fauve; 07-05-2009 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 02:08 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I have friends who live in Hollywood too. One in a house in the Lakes and another who lived in an apt on Van Buren west of US1 and south of Hollywood Blvd for 6 years. The friend who lived in Hollywood before the gentrification is the interesting one. We frequently visited him and walked home from clubs at 1 or 2 in the AM. Yes, it was sketchy but there were 5 of us and we felt safe. Would I have walked home as a single female alone? No. But, I dont think any former Nyc-er would lack the street sense to try this.

My daughter recently had her 17th birthday party at the Marriott on Ocean Dr. Would you really think I would take her personal safety or those of her friends casually? Do you think their parents (all the parents of private school kids) would have allowed their kids to attend if they thought the broadwalk was unsafe? Please.

I also have friends in Weston. Have they been robbed? Yes. Not while they were in the house, but alarm systems and locked doors are good things to have wherever you live.

My facts are as solid as yours. Just a difference in personal tolerance. That's why I suggest to everyone that they need to check it for themselves. I do not take personal safety casually AT ALL.

And btw, I hate arguing with you (or anyone for that matter). Can we please just get along?

Check out east of A1A in the Lakes area for garden apt and the broardwalk if you want a beach condo.
Thank you for confirming pretty much everything I stated in my previous post. As for arguing. I made a statement to the OP, you in turn decided to make it a personal issue and address me and what i said for some odd reason. As for being from NYC, err what in the heck does that have to do with anything. I am from the junction in Flatbush. Didn't have people standing on corners showing their private parts. Didn't have tons of homeless and people with mental issues wondering about. So your equating being from NYC and dealing with unsafe areas is sort of out there. Not of all NYC is the same. Mott Haven as compared to Clinton Hills is a world a part. Also what does having locked doors have to do with anything? My friend had his door locked and people broke in. That is usually how burglary works

PS

As I said in my original statment, unless the person will be living on the boardwalk, in a hotel or in a restuarant those examples of yours having some party at a hotel doesn't really make much of a argument for that area. Most of the apartments over there are on the north and south sides of that downtown area and then there are a FEW near the north and south lake areas. The areas with the apartments are not the best/safest. Besides you can get decent rents in far safer areas in Downtown Fort Lauderdale. I have seen three bedrooms in the downtown fort lauderdale neighborhoods for 1100 and 2 bedrooms for 800/900. And they would be able to walk downtown Fort lauderdale where there is a heck of a lot more going on entertainment wise than Hollywood and you are with in walking distance of the ocean (I would sooner bike than walk though)

I will add the only thing I can see going for Hollywood is, it is closer to Miami than hollywood. You would shave 10 to 15 minutes off your commute.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:34 PM

593 posts, read 1,916,545 times
It is fun to start by getting a one bedroom by las olas in oe of the nicer buildings with a sweet pool and other amenities and get to know the area and then decide where you want to be permanently after you find a job

Old 07-05-2009, 04:36 PM

593 posts, read 1,916,545 times
if you want to walk AND be on the beach, i think Hollywood is great, but I grew up there so I'm partial.

Las Olas/strip and Lauderdale by the sea area also good spots to walk places and be on the beach and in a nice area.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Thank you for confirming pretty much everything I stated in my previous post. As for arguing. I made a statement to the OP, you in turn decided to make it a personal issue and address me and what i said for some odd reason. As for being from NYC, err what in the heck does that have to do with anything. I am from the junction in Flatbush. Didn't have people standing on corners showing their private parts. Didn't have tons of homeless and people with mental issues wondering about. So your equating being from NYC and dealing with unsafe areas is sort of out there. Not of all NYC is the same. Mott Haven as compared to Clinton Hills is a world a part. Also what does having locked doors have to do with anything? My friend had his door locked and people broke in. That is usually how burglary works

PS

As I said in my original statement, unless the person will be living on the boardwalk, in a hotel or in a restaurant those examples of yours having some party at a hotel doesn't really make much of a argument for that area. Most of the apartments over there are on the north and south sides of that downtown area and then there are a FEW near the north and south lake areas. The areas with the apartments are not the best/safest. Besides you can get decent rents in far safer areas in Downtown Fort Lauderdale. I have seen three bedrooms in the downtown fort lauderdale neighborhoods for 1100 and 2 bedrooms for 800/900. And they would be able to walk downtown Fort lauderdale where there is a heck of a lot more going on entertainment wise than Hollywood and you are with in walking distance of the ocean (I would sooner bike than walk though)

I will add the only thing I can see going for Hollywood is, it is closer to Miami than hollywood. You would shave 10 to 15 minutes off your commute.
If it makes you happy to think anything I said confirmed anything you said, be happy, and let's end it on that note before I call in another moderator to infract us both for hijacking the thread!

OP....it seems like WS and I agree that the only good apts are the ones east of A1A near Hollywood Blvd and along the Broadwalk. These are the only ones anyone in your price range would be considering anyway. The others are low-end motel type looking places.

Last edited by fauve; 07-05-2009 at 06:15 PM..

Old 07-06-2009, 07:56 AM

39 posts, read 128,241 times
wow! thanks all! i'll have to look into these areas more. and yes, we can deal with some place slightly sketchy if it's cheaper. we do live in east harlem right now, so we're used to it!

Old 07-06-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awleavingNYC View Post
wow! thanks all! i'll have to look into these areas more. and yes, we can deal with some place slightly sketchy if it's cheaper. we do live in east harlem right now, so we're used to it!
I have cousins in East Harlem. Hollywood and East Harlem are different stories. East Harlem you might have robbery or shoot outs. Hollywood on the other hand you are dealing with not only that element but you also have a LARGE abundance of half way houses and other centers that cater to mentally ill people and a lot of them live and frequent that area. If you don't mind dealing with that then Hollywood might be tolerable to you.

Last edited by Wild Style; 07-06-2009 at 09:07 AM..

Old 07-06-2009, 09:01 AM

I just realized that throughout this thread I said to stay east of A1A when what I really meant is to stay east of US1! Do stay east of A1A though if you want to be within a block or so of the beach.

Well, my memory of East Harlem is 20 years old and I remember being told to lock the car doors as we went north of 96th St, so I can't really compare it to Hollywood. It would be amazing if it were as safe. I might consider moving back up there myself. What do 2 bedrooms rent/sell for?

Old 07-06-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I just realized that throughout this thread I said to stay east of A1A when what I really meant is to stay east of US1! Do stay east of A1A though if you want to be within a block or so of the beach.

Well, my memory of East Harlem is 20 years old and I remember being told to lock the car doors as we went north of 96th St, so I can't really compare it to Hollywood. It would be amazing if it were as safe. I might consider moving back up there myself. What do 2 bedrooms rent/sell for?
Can you get 2 bedrooms for 1,000 or under east of A1A? I have no clue to be honest. I think I could do east of A1A, its just that downtown I think is crazier than cat ish.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Can you get 2 bedrooms for 1,000 or under east of A1A? I have no clue to be honest. I think I could do east of A1A, its just that downtown I think is crazier than cat ish.
Well, she did say she was open to a 1 bedroom, however I have seen some 2 bedroom condos starting at $1100 right on the beach. We actually looked at a 3 bedroom single family house right behind Toucan's, so literally within spitting distance of the ocean, for $1800/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area