U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 38,347 times

Advertisements

Hello-

I am planning a move to the fort lauderdale area but am not famililar AT ALL with it. So I apologize in advance if there is need for specific questions! I am looking for a young gay friendly neighborhood near los alos (sp?) im looking to spend between 800-1000 on rent for an apartment or split housing. Any advice would be awesome!

TIA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 08:03 PM

6,993 posts, read 15,950,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutsoon View Post
Hello-

I am planning a move to the fort lauderdale area but am not famililar AT ALL with it. So I apologize in advance if there is need for specific questions! I am looking for a young gay friendly neighborhood near los alos (sp?) im looking to spend between 800-1000 on rent for an apartment or split housing. Any advice would be awesome!

TIA
Wilton Manors is your best bet. That place is where the gay community seems to be centered in. Victoria Park has some gays along the northern side of the area closer to the park there. The further south you go in that area the more families and republicanish it gets. I remember last year parts of the northern section had signs telling people to vote against a law that would prevent gays from marrying. While as you drove further south in victoria park the more signs you read that were for the ban on gay marriage. You also started to see more Mcain Palin signs in front yards too.

So wilton manors is your best bet from what I have seen and even then there is a certain section that is heavily gay. There is another section which is more west (i think the dividing line is andrews avenue) and is mostly haitian. I don't think that area is as gay friendly.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the info. any idea about east ft. lauderdale? not really sure what cities that entails, but looking at housing that seems to be the best for my price range

Old 07-29-2009, 11:02 PM

593 posts, read 1,713,251 times
I have found the beach area in Pompano very gay friendly, despite people warning me away and my friends being scared to hang out in public at first, and despite some unfortunate signs before the election, and imagine Lauderdale by the Sea is even better. . . Galt Ocean Mile has a ton of apartments empty right now and you just pop up Oakland to Wilton Manors (which is really a great gay neighborhood).

It isn't on the surface so much here, but I painted my car about prop 2 and people came out of the woodwork to commiserate. . .

Old 07-29-2009, 11:06 PM

The prices are very soft on the beach in this area right now. The one bedrooms might not be so much so as two, I don't know, but I have found that a two bedroom might be listed at 1800, I offer 1300, and they come back at 1450 - and if you don't want direct ocean it is even more affordable. With a roomate one could live on the beach in a nice building with gym etc, for $700 a month.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:07 PM

but it isn't young. . . however, you can just drive to Wilton Manors and everyone will want to come over afterwards and hang ont eh beach, so it all works out!

Old 07-29-2009, 11:09 PM

Sorry to keep posting, I was thinking that in downtown just west of las olas I saw some sweet rentals. i don't knwo the area well, but the buildings were very hip and young looking on realtor.com.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:40 AM

6,993 posts, read 15,950,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutsoon View Post
Thanks for the info. any idea about east ft. lauderdale? not really sure what cities that entails, but looking at housing that seems to be the best for my price range
the places i named are all east ft. lauderdale! not even 2 minutes fom the beach by car

Old 07-30-2009, 02:47 PM

Thank you everyone! The info has been great, and I hope to say that I have chosen one of these places soon!!

Old 07-31-2009, 02:13 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,063,985 times
South Fl really is a gay friendly place anywhere you go...

Florida likes the Baty Bwoi's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area