U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 10:03 AM

64 posts, read 163,055 times

Advertisements

Curious how far people commute..

Have a job offer in West Palm but want to live in Lauderdale
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 11:45 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,077,323 times
Would be a nightmare commute. Don't do it. I hate being negative, but really, it would be awful.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:28 PM

3,757 posts, read 7,832,782 times
The extent of the pain depends on where in Broward/Ft. Lauderdale you would love vs. where you would work. Unless its very north broward county and very south palm beach county - it will be awful. Good luck.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:06 PM

593 posts, read 1,712,875 times
That drive would be dangerous if you have to do it twice a day. Living in West Palm sounds like much more fun to me. You can commute to Ft. Lauderdale to go out if you like

I was talked out of moving to West Palm by people who insisted that the crime was rampant, but really, I still doubt that from the Citiplace area it is that bad. And there are so many empty apartments at Citiplace that one should be able to get a great deal.

But I don't love the Ft. Lauderdale nightlife. It reminds me of Boca. You can go to Bova, Living Room, Blue Martini (yawn). Personally, I prefer going to Palm Beach or to Clematis or downtown Lake Worth or even Atlantic Ave in Delray and that is all convenient to West Palm.

There are nice apartments near Atlantic Ave in Delray and that's a lot easier to West Palm and has a less problematic reputation. But again, I'm not convinced that the area around Citiplace is that bad that is ought to be avoided. I went up there four or five times this summer, alone, when I was looking at properties, and found it very comfortable and felt safe enough. but I am from Boca and perhaps naive.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:13 PM

4,278 posts, read 6,409,742 times
I used to commute from Weston to Delray one summer.

My neighbor, a border guard officer, commutes from Weston to Riviera Beach, he tolerates it, but he leaves VERY early.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:45 AM

64 posts, read 163,055 times
What are the complexes near Atlantic Ave in Delray?

Old 08-06-2009, 07:13 AM

259 posts, read 758,988 times
I used to commute from Greenacres to Sunrise everyday and it was about an hour each way (with minimal traffic). However because I both lived and worked out west, I was able to avoid I-95 which is a whole new ball game and definitely a nightmare. Either way, I still wouldn't recommend it due to the wear and tear on your car, the stress from bad drivers, and the tolls that add up (depending on what area you drive to/from). In South Florida, I always recommend living no more that 30 minutes from your job but that's just my personal advice and I realize that for some it may not be possible. If I were you I would pick some place in the middle (south palm beach/north broward) like boca, coconut creek, parts of deerfield beach, ect. that way you can commute to both and the drive wouldn't be that bad each way.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:57 AM

There's a few, and I don't know what they are called. I was looking into the pineapple grove area. Don't go more than a block west of the Tennis Center if you want the best area for nightlife and walking to the beach. The beach area around Atlantic is walking distance to the nightclubs et al as well. Anywhere within two blocks of Atlantic between the beach and the tennis center is great.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:59 AM

Clubs like Dada and the blue Fish are fun, and there's all sorts of events and such, and lots of bars and galleries, and a ton of internationals, and a true mix of ages

Old 08-07-2009, 01:35 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,077,323 times
Darn bocamom, you're making me want to move to delray again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area