Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,683 times

Advertisements

Hey!

I'm going to be attending Barry U for the next 2.5 years or so and was wondering where I should be living and how much I should be expecting to pay. I am aiming towards living around Biscayne Park and Miami Shores, and by sheer coincidence they are both right next to Barry U and among the better places to live (or so I've read).

I've seen most places on craigslist around 700-800 for a single/studio, is this reasonable? I was looking towards keeping it under 600/month and saw a couple, but I dont know if they can be trusted.

Any guidance is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 10:12 PM

282 posts, read 803,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphanman View Post
Hey!

I'm going to be attending Barry U for the next 2.5 years or so and was wondering where I should be living and how much I should be expecting to pay. I am aiming towards living around Biscayne Park and Miami Shores, and by sheer coincidence they are both right next to Barry U and among the better places to live (or so I've read).

I've seen most places on craigslist around 700-800 for a single/studio, is this reasonable? I was looking towards keeping it under 600/month and saw a couple, but I dont know if they can be trusted.

Staying under 600 a month will be very challenging in nearly all of South Florida. If you have a potential deal I would definitely check it out before agreeing to anything... it's very possible it's a dump.

I knew someone in Miami shores who was paying 800 or so to live in a tiny studio above someone's garage...

Sorry for the less than stellar info, but S. FL is not so cheap. :/

Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 AM

351 posts, read 1,122,679 times
There is a separate subforum for the Miami area that is better suited to your questions about that area.

If I were you, I would get a roommate which is more economical and will afford you a better place in a more secure location. With the number of condo units for rent on the market now, there are very good deals available for 2 BR units you can share.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:07 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,429,004 times
tphanman>

I would avoid the areas you mentioned. Look in midtown. There are lots of newer studios there in nice buildings. There is an over-abundance of empty studios last time I checked so prices should be reasonable right now. The design district is nearby too and I've heard there are nice studios. Also, look in Aventura (might be pricey), Hollywood Beach/Hallandale Beach area, N. Miami Beach (stick with US1 corridor though), Miami Beach (North Beach or South Beach sections), or Brickell (might be a bit pricey).

You will want to avoid anything west of I-95, the city of Miami Gardens, and some parts of North Miami Beach and Miami Beach. I would strongly recommend taking a trip down here for a few days, renting a car, and driving around the area to get familiar with these places and decide which is best for you.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:29 PM

44 posts, read 107,465 times
Quote:
Hey!

I would look at areas like Aventura and Sunny Isles. The communte isnt terrible, but it can get pretty bad with all those stoplights.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:40 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,739,433 times
Quote:
Hey!

Your best bet is to go to Barry U and look in their Bulletin Board they have always lots of adds of people around the area willing to rent a room or apt. And discuss the areas with people on Barry U, They are really helpful.

Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area