Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 05:26 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times

Advertisements

We are considering replacing a sliding glass door with an impact window. Did anybody do business with FHA? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 04:47 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
FHA is expensive...I just had impact windows put in. I would highly recommend East Coast door and windows out of pompano beach. Their prices are less expensive than all the competitors I looked at and this was with PGT windows....the best in the industry in most peoples eyes. Stay away from Storm Wise Shutters though...I had a bad experience with them...just do a search and you will see my ordeal with them.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:42 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
FHA gave us a quote some years ago and it was double what we finally paid for impact windows. We went to the Home Depot in Coral Springs that sells Security and had an excellent installation company do the installation. Excellent customer service from start to finish.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:27 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
FHA is expensive...I just had impact windows put in. I would highly recommend East Coast door and windows out of pompano beach. Their prices are less expensive than all the competitors I looked at and this was with PGT windows....the best in the industry in most peoples eyes. Stay away from Storm Wise Shutters though...I had a bad experience with them...just do a search and you will see my ordeal with them.
Yes, I was reading your post and did not go with them. They were expensive. First, they quoted us $15,000. No, thank you. So the salesman brought it down to $11,000. No, goodbye.

The "vice president" came by and saw us. He quoted us $9,000. No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
FHA gave us a quote some years ago and it was double what we finally paid for impact windows. We went to the Home Depot in Coral Springs that sells Security and had an excellent installation company do the installation. Excellent customer service from start to finish.
I found your posts too and we went ahead with Home Depot in Coral Springs. They had exactly what we were looking for, high impact, double-paned sliding doors.

(Apparently I increase your reputation too many times. I just do it when I read a good post )

Old 08-19-2010, 09:42 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,120 times
I've been approached by windows sales people before working on my mother in law's patio in Winter Haven. Apparently they've been going door to door in the neighborhood and using their strong arm sales tactic to persuade you to buy their vinyl impact windows. I told them what my requirements were and asked about the state rebates and a lot of other questions that they couldn't answer. They still kept sending waves of sales people to me to convince me. I just got really annoyed and once you've agitated someone enough, you've totally lost the sale. Hate sales tactic like that. Very similar to the ones they use in Orlando for Westgate timeshares. Sometimes I just really enjoy watching them squirm and make them work just to say no, no, no , no and giving them scenarios that they can't answer.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:31 PM

157 posts, read 600,952 times
FHA was created by ex Sears window salesmen, they have the same sales technique which Sears has spent big bucks developing and are very convincing, and they also use the same price structure....so, if you're willing to pay about 40% more than you should for windows you might as well use a bigger company with the name behind it that at least will stand by their product.
I personally think you have better choices out there.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:26 AM

351 posts, read 1,126,507 times
For those of you who have installed impact windows, can you give a rough estimate of what you spent; number of windows/doors replaced?

I am looking into a home that needs this done and I'd like to get a ballpark idea...

Thx!

Old 05-05-2012, 09:16 PM

141 posts, read 288,334 times
Default Impact windows a waste

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
We are considering replacing a sliding glass door with an impact window. Did anybody do business with FHA? Thanks.

My home was build back in the late '40s and was added on to twice before I got it. The windows are aluminum frames with single pane glass that use plastic inserts to hold the glass in. I could actually feel the wind blowing by them when it was gusting.

Well, to make a long story short, every window salesman that came over said the same thing: I HAD to get impact windows because they won't break! I said for 20 grand, they had better not!!

I did a little research (namely Youtube) and found out that these impact windows are GOING TO BREAK! Check out "hurricane impact windows" yourself and see.

Needless to say, I didn't buy them. Moderator cut: Please, No advertising. They were installed on the outside (no messy drywall or sawdust mess inside to clean up). It only took 3 weeks to get them and they were installed in less than 3 days.

They made a tremendous difference in stopping the drafts from my windows and my electric bills are much lower. Yes, I still need new windows, but at least Citizens isn't going to dump me and I got a reduction on my homeowners insurance so I'm happy for now.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-06-2012 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area