Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:08 PM

134 posts, read 399,788 times

Advertisements

p.s. i am just waiting to get a ton of negative comments from this post like "shut up already" and just deal with wherever you live" but try living where you cannot drive more than 5 to 10 minutes or not at all at times and cannot make friendships because allil the hot spots or places younger people hang out are too far for you to drive....i knew there were alot of older people in florida,...my sister assured me there were alot more young people than I thought but then I learned that you have to pay more to live by them. I guess it's not like here where young people live all over (even couples without children) and that all areas are very child oriented and focused or old fogie land
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 10:58 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,712,467 times
lake worth is really far - live between the 2 and you'll be close to neither and probably nowhere very interesting.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:08 PM

l also wrote this in the other thread becoz I saw that one first, you are looking at a REALLY long drive to lake worth - it's like halfway to orlando practically (slight exaggeration) so id just not even factor shaving off 20 minutes from that drive. pompano beach isnt a bad idea tho for entertainment and quirkiness tho. check out lauderdale by the sea too.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:03 AM

593 posts, read 1,916,958 times
there is live music and affordability near the beach in pompano, but things aren't all spiffed up. . .

i go to boca and delray from pompano every day and it isn't bad. i drive a1a most of the way, though. lake worth starts to be a haul, though.

i found a great cottage in downtown delray for 1200. it wasn't advertised at that but that's what they went to. prices are soft there. from delray you can commute to lake worth. from pompano it is a hike up a1a. maybe for those that take the big roads it is easier.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:13 AM

make offers in the areas where you want to be, as prices are soft.

you can get into downtown lake worth or delray at your budget and then you will be be where YOU need to be, If you are moving here for the help it makes no sense to move 40 minutes away.

the humidity makes most of us lazy round here, you'll likely be no exception, and if you move 40 minutes from your most useful family member they won't be as useful as they would be if you lived closer.

you want a situation where you park right in front of your place, it is private, yet not too private, where young people do live music things that are not child oriented regularly, and the family member who wants to help you out most is in lake worth, so i think you're all set. it is all right there. you might even like it better than az. i bet you do. just focus on getting into a nice area there

i've been around and it is a nice scene in lake worth, i don't care what anyone saw on COPS or whatever. . . if you go right to downtown it is sweet. perfect, based on all you have posted, to suit your needs and expectations, except you might have to give up 100 sq ft or more to have a cottage right there.

if you want a down to earth environment that doesn;t cater so much to old people and kids, i think lake worth will suit you better than delray. delray does a lot of kid centric stuff, and is more spiffy and less alternative, and more expensive for drinks and food and parking etc. downtown lake worth has a semi-visible police presence, but they aren't looking for me and you jaywalking, they are securing it. it is what it is.

your husband can pop onto 95 and go to ft lauderdale or miami and you can still get to sunrise too. if she has offered to help you out and you need the help go there.

i don't know what they are telling you, but it isn't hell here. even where i live, in retiree heaven, there are lots of single couples with no children in their early 40s and 50s which aren't exactly "old people" - these are couples who go to work every day and are really nice and friendly but no kids. there's only one kid in the building. Well, there are more adult kids showing up all the time. Unemployed kids and nieces and nephews are living the snowbird units while mom and dad are at the met. So there are young people all over these days. Yup, people coming from all around to compete for jobs in an already overloaded market.

woohoo

it is not hell here, but i never imagined such steep competition for simple jobs.

Last edited by bocamom; 09-08-2009 at 12:51 AM..

Old 09-08-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njay View Post
btw....not quite sure how davie and weston is halfway between west palm and sunrise..they are very close to sunrise according to my sister andthe map. Pompano beach seems to be a good half way point but hearing mixed thnings about it. I have to mapquest coconut creek...sister says it's far fromher.....sister says coral springs is a whole lot closer toher than to lake worth....we'd LOVE to be near the atlatic ave of delray beach because we have had a few people in the music field tell us we;d LOVE it based on the types ofstuff we like to do but people are right,,,,only areas we can afford are going to be retiree areas.
i have a good friend who owns several homes in cresthaven (a pompano neighborhood) that they rent and they have nothing but great experiences to count - they even manage to retain their bikes, which is almost impossible everywhere i live. it is easy to get to 95 from Cresthaven and it is very mixed ethnically and agewise and you can get a whole house in your budget. Their elementary school is good but it isn't all kids, there are all ages back there. And we have a lot of tiki bars not far east of it

Old 09-08-2009, 01:04 AM

there is a lot of live music in pompano and it is low key - more young working people than boca or downtown delray but they are totally different people for the most part. pompano is more down to earth. more motel - better bang for the buck and a short commute to many places.

but for me, the nightlife in pompano is about a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10. Downtown lake worth is more like an 8. The music here in Pompano is good, but it is all these sort of young to middle aged people with no visible kids who seem to party a lot. Smokers. not my scene.

I like the way lake worth has a gay scene and a culture vibe. in pompano you will hear bands play classic rock covers a lot. in lake worth/wpb you can hear good bands play original music live every night of the week.

maybe i can hear that in pompano too, i am not aware of it.

Last edited by bocamom; 09-08-2009 at 01:14 AM..

Old 09-08-2009, 02:25 AM

wow, bocamom, that price for a cottage in that area is amazing! I hope you grabbed it!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:19 PM

Default hmmm confused

sunrise to delray on mapquest says 40 minutes...my husband drove from delray to lake worth and said it wasn't too long...so i am bit confused

lots of people told me stay away from pompano beach too because alot of shady areas

we couldn't live in delray..that's why i am looking halfway between...or between lake worth and sunrise...

my mother in law said there will be nothing halfway between because sunrise is much more west and south of lake worth and we might find something 30 minutes from her but then 40 minutes from sister or 20 minutes from sister but 40 from her...

i am stupid that way...i figure..they live 50 mins apart so if i can find something that is about 25 minutes from each, that would be great but doesn
t seem to be working

only thing i found is deerfield beach..about 30 mins from both of them but have read is an old fogy area LOL or the areas we'd be able to afford anyways lol

Old 09-08-2009, 04:25 PM

thanks bocamom!! we couldn't live in lake worth though because then i'd see my nieces like once a month because 50 mins for us to travel is hard given my issues and husband's work and my sister said if we lived right near his mom sh couldn't give us any help so we'd only be getting help from one person (I also can't stand my mother in law) but that's besides the fact..and seeeing my nieces faces isone o the the reasonjs i want to move downs so that's why we're thinking half way between the 2 but there doen't seem to be places from what others say..it's either too far one way or too far the other...except for deerfield beach which i mapquested about 30 mins from each but was told old fogey ville

no i don't consider 40 and 50 old..i am getting up to 40 and hubby is 41
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area