Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:30 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,600 times

Advertisements

My gf has been out of a job for 11 months, not a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 03:12 PM

593 posts, read 1,916,545 times
it sounds like you know what you are doing. . . if you don't NEED the job you will fit in perfectly here

Old 08-27-2009, 04:11 PM

157 posts, read 284,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocamom View Post
it sounds like you know what you are doing. . . if you don't NEED the job you will fit in perfectly here
I want the job. I wouldn't consider moving if I knew that, without a doubt, I would not be able to find a job within 6 months. From what I have read, that's a good possibility. It's not that I couldn't survive without the job for a while, but there's no point in moving there if employment is not in the future.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:45 PM

157 posts, read 487,766 times
Being bilingual would be a great asset. I don`t know a thing about corporate finance. But some businesses are doing ok. There are many import/ export companies that deal with South America. Other HQ`S are DHL, Carnival cruise line, Burger king HQ, the port of Miami and Port Everglades,American express, Jackson Memorial Hospital in Dade and other big businesses are here in Dade and Broward Counties. This probably does not help,but you might find something.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harttogo View Post
Being bilingual would be a great asset. I don`t know a thing about corporate finance. But some businesses are doing ok. There are many import/ export companies that deal with South America. Other HQ`S are DHL, Carnival cruise line, Burger king HQ, the port of Miami and Port Everglades,American express, Jackson Memorial Hospital in Dade and other big businesses are here in Dade and Broward Counties. This probably does not help,but you might find something.
That does help. The issue with the big cruise lines is that their revenues are way down right now. Even a lot of the clothing companies HQed up here are hurting, and people can afford to buy clothing long before they can afford to take a cruise.

I'm not specifically relying on a job in that particular field, but the vibe on here gives me the impression that I would be happy as pigs in **** to land something that pays 30k, ha.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:10 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
To get someone to leave a corporate position in Miami at a bad employer takes a miracle. At the top employers such as DHL, Burger King, Ryder, Jackson - again - forget it - its not going to happen. And if it does, someone has been waiting for that position a lot longer than you have.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:26 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmeyer View Post
ha. I hear ya, but living under a bridge would not be a concern. I have family that can help out, so there's no issue at all with being able to pay the rent-even without the roommate, regardless of what happens.

However, moving there for a year and not being able to find a job would certainly be a disaster, mainly because it was just a year wasted in terms of job experience, etc.

I was also considering LA because I have family there as well, but unemployment is just as bad, and the cost of living is double, triple, or quadruple compared to South Florida, depending on which LA neighborhood you're talking about, worse traffic and much farther from home. LA and South Florida are my two options as far as where I have friends and family.
Personally, I would opt for LA, but that's just me....more corporate opportunities, less of the "who you know" culture. CA has problems, but it's not about to drop into the sea anytime soon. Trust me when I say that it's very difficult to land a decent job here....as for me, I basically lucked out and I count my blessings every day.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:07 AM

157 posts, read 487,766 times
Default Brickell Avenue

Quote:

Oh, I might add Brickell Avenue. It is the financial center of Miami. Banks, investment companies, land acquisition companies, big time real estate dealing with high rise condominiums, capital investment particularly in South America.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Oh, I might add Brickell Avenue. It is the financial center of Miami. Banks, investment companies, land acquisition companies, big time real estate dealing with high rise condominiums, capital investment particularly in South America.
Would this be a better option than Ft. Lauderdale?

I'm assuming a commute to Brickell from North Bay Village or Sunny Isles would be pretty bad?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:32 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmeyer View Post
Would this be a better option than Ft. Lauderdale?

I'm assuming a commute to Brickell from North Bay Village or Sunny Isles would be pretty bad?
OP - really think about this - real estate and developement in South Florida's reknown market? LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area