Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 06:30 PM

134 posts, read 397,947 times

Advertisements

my husband and I do not have kids...we love them but cannot have them or adopt and where we live now...everything is child friendly...all community events are child oriented and if you don't have kids...most couples our age (late 30's) really don't have interest in being friends with you or cannot relate or don't want to do non child stuff...

i know sunrise and vicinity is very child friendly and i love kids but wondering if there are also couples and gals there without kids in their late 20's, 30's and 40's???

Again...i love kids, as does my husband, but my life is very different than moms and i don't have much in common with those whose lives revolve around their kids and kid friendly activities

so...are there single couples there?? One of my acquaintances who lives in hollywood (happens to be gay) said that most of the single childless couples tend to live in more of the "hipper" younger neighborhoods and the older neighborhoods with a mix of younger families tend to have just that...families...is he wrong??? I hope so!!!!!!!!

Again...don't think i don;t love kids...i just can't and don't have them and am very left out of community activities where we live here and have had trouble making friends with women in my immediate neighborhood because they'd all be at the pool with their kids and all plan play dates, etc and look at me strange when i say i don;t have them (then again....down in AZ people are much more conservative and people have kids pretty early here (or those who have moved here from all over have had kids much earlier on)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 06:42 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,808,456 times
Sunrise probably has more childless couples than families.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:09 AM

134 posts, read 397,947 times
Default really????

wow...i thought it was the opposite..is this because of the lower cost of living compared to other nice cities in s florida??? It's nice to know there will be single gals or childless couples...so we have a chance to make some friends

Old 08-27-2009, 07:18 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,175,250 times
There are many childless couples in this area. My husband and I waited 8 years b4 having children. I know quite a few teachers who are childless but have second jobs as tennis instructors, aftercare providers, waitresses. So even though they are childless, they are busy.

I know this is not a parenting forum but...

It sounds like you are referring to couples with really young kids. IMO playdates are really not for children to socialize. They are more for the home-bound parents to socialize. When these children get older the parents may have more free time on their hands.

Last edited by crisan; 08-27-2009 at 07:26 AM..

Old 08-27-2009, 08:18 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,342,060 times
Why not check out the demographics? City Data has most if not all this type of data right here if you do a search. You can also go and Google "sunrise florida demographics." Give it a try there is lots of info on the web.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:17 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,808,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nankjay View Post
wow...i thought it was the opposite..is this because of the lower cost of living compared to other nice cities in s florida??? It's nice to know there will be single gals or childless couples...so we have a chance to make some friends
The lower cost of living has to do with the mostly shoddy schools so in a way, yes.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:29 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,175,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
The lower cost of living has to do with the mostly shoddy schools so in a way, yes.
I am very curious about why the schools here are considered bad. I did grow up in the South and from what I heard the schools are different from the North East.

I did notice an article of ACT scores dropping in Florida. Let me see if I can find it.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:46 PM

518 posts, read 2,219,804 times
My wife and I are married and do not have children, and most of our friends fall into that category. While I can't speak for Sunrise specifically, you shouldn't have any problem meeting people whose circumstances are similar to yours and ours. The area's pretty diverse in that respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area