Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,495 times

Advertisements

As a 20 year resident of Plantation who attended elementary, middle, and high school there, I would not recommend it. It was great back in the 70's and 80's but times have changed. If you have enough money to live where you want and to go to private schools, Plantation can be livable. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and try another city in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,448,889 times
SFLORIDIAN-

I agree with you about the stores being far away from housing in Weston. I don't live in Weston, but I've spent a good number of times visiting. Almost every other suburb in Broward, you have multiple Publix's, Winn-Dixie's, and other stores of convenience in every direction in close proximity. In Weston, it seems like the nearest Publix is 15 minutes away from housing. There is no Winn-Dixie to my knowledge and no Target. I guess Weston keeps these lower-end stores out. So you have to drive to Sunrise or Plantation to find a Target.

I also dislike the overall fake, cookie-cutter feel of Weston. It is a beautiful suburb, but just not for me. Too many gated communities and artificial palm trees for my liking. I prefer the appearance of Plantation with the older, unique style housing. I also like how Parkland looks, if it wasn't for the Chinese Drywall.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:45 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,849,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
SFLORIDIAN-

I agree with you about the stores being far away from housing in Weston. I don't live in Weston, but I've spent a good number of times visiting. Almost every other suburb in Broward, you have multiple Publix's, Winn-Dixie's, and other stores of convenience in every direction in close proximity. In Weston, it seems like the nearest Publix is 15 minutes away from housing. There is no Winn-Dixie to my knowledge and no Target. I guess Weston keeps these lower-end stores out. So you have to drive to Sunrise or Plantation to find a Target.

I also dislike the overall fake, cookie-cutter feel of Weston. It is a beautiful suburb, but just not for me. Too many gated communities and artificial palm trees for my liking. I prefer the appearance of Plantation with the older, unique style housing. I also like how Parkland looks, if it wasn't for the Chinese Drywall.
I don't think there is a city in South Florida with more Publix stores per-capita then Weston. I have 4 Publix stores within a 5 minute drive- Indian Trace at Saddle Club, Weston Town Center, Glades at 75, and Country Isles. There is also Publix at Griffin and 75, on BOTH sides of the highway. Big box retail is a different story. Plantation has just finally started to fill in with Publix stores (the new store at Peters and University is fantastic). Regardless, there are no less then 5 Publix stores in Weston, and some cities in Broward County with nearly double the population don't even exceed that number.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:55 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,065,984 times
Quote:
SFLORIDIAN-

"Artificial Palm Trees" .. wow and to think the entire time I lived in Weston .. I could have sworn the big palm tree in front of my house was real ... by the way I now live in Parkland ... no Chinese Dry Wall in my house ... I cannot think of two communities in South Florida and maybe all of Florida that are more similar in look , feel and aesthetics .. why one would feel "cookie cutter" and the other would not makes no sense to me ???

Nolefan your posts are usually right on ... but this one leaves me perplexed

Old 02-24-2011, 04:58 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,065,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I don't think there is a city in South Florida with more Publix stores per-capita then Weston. I have 4 Publix stores within a 5 minute drive- Indian Trace at Saddle Club, Weston Town Center, Glades at 75, and Country Isles. There is also Publix at Griffin and 75, on BOTH sides of the highway. Big box retail is a different story. Plantation has just finally started to fill in with Publix stores (the new store at Peters and University is fantastic). Regardless, there are no less then 5 Publix stores in Weston, and some cities in Broward County with nearly double the population don't even exceed that number.
As usual Compelled ... right on ... when we were moving from Weston to Parkland ... the Publix in the NW quadrant of Weston near 84 was just about to open ... I do remember at least four in the city ... my wife and I always felt Weston was missing a Whole Foods Market and maybe a Borders or Barnes and Noble bookstore .

Old 02-24-2011, 05:02 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,859,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
"Artificial Palm Trees" .. wow and to think the entire time I lived in Weston .. I could have sworn the big palm tree in front of my house was real ... by the way I now live in Parkland ... no Chinese Dry Wall in my house ... I cannot think of two communities in South Florida and maybe all of Florida that are more similar in look , feel and aesthetics .. why one would feel "cookie cutter" and the other would not makes no sense to me ???

Nolefan your posts are usually right on ... but this one leaves me perplexed
Yeah when I lived in Weston all the palm trees were real. I do not remember seeing a fake one in the entire 10 years I lived in Weston. My son still plays football and lacrosse in Weston and I haven't seen any artificial palm trees since I moved out either. At least not on Indian Trace or at Tequesta Park.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:48 PM

Rock Newman-

I did not mean that they are literally artificial. I meant that they are not natural to the area. Everything in Weston is man-made and artificial looking. There is little or no natural foliage, lakes, or ponds. Weston is mostly gated communities with cookie-cutter homes with Mediterranean architecture. I realize you love it there and others on this board do too. I just prefer older houses that have unique architecture. I do not like neighborhoods where every house looks the same. I guess that makes me crazy?

And nowhere did I say that ALL houses in Parkland have Chinese Drywall. But you have to admit it is very prevalent in Parkland compared to other suburbs. I like the rustic feel of Parkland in some areas.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Compelled-

That was my point. You have 5 Publix grocery stores, but zero Winn-Dixie's, zero Targets, zero Wal-Marts, zero K-Marts, zero shopping malls, etc. There is very little choice or competition in Weston. Just about every other Broward suburb has more choices and more competition. You have to drive for miles to hit other types of stores.

Other Broward suburbs may not have as many Publix's per capita as Weston, but that is because we have other options. I'm not sure I even agree that other suburbs have less Publix's. It seems like everywhere in Broward you have multiple Publix's within 1-2 miles any direction. We have plenty of shopping in Broward.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,804,299 times
Quote:
SFLORIDIAN-

5 minutes.

You can get from one side of Weston to another side in about 10 minutes.

Palm trees are not fake.

Different [gated] developments in Weston have pretty different home designs.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:11 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,804,299 times
Quote:
Rock Newman-

I did not mean that they are literally artificial. I meant that they are not natural to the area. Everything in Weston is man-made and artificial looking. There is little or no natural foliage, lakes, or ponds. Weston is mostly gated communities with cookie-cutter homes with Mediterranean architecture. I realize you love it there and others on this board do too. I just prefer older houses that have unique architecture. I do not like neighborhoods where every house looks the same. I guess that makes me crazy?

And nowhere did I say that ALL houses in Parkland have Chinese Drywall. But you have to admit it is very prevalent in Parkland compared to other suburbs. I like the rustic feel of Parkland in some areas.
If natural look means dry grass and dusty roads with tumbleweed rolling on them, I don't want that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area