Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 6,648 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Orlando and are looking to move down south. I used to live down there but it has been several years. We do not have much money at all and are looking for someplace as cheap as we can stand.

That being said I do not want to worry about getting shot from gang activity or not be able to sleep at night because I am so worried about someone breaking in. I know that some of the rough parts of south Florida are REALLY bad.

We do not have kids, and no plans for the near future, so school quality is not a factor we are concerned about. While I don't speak spanish is it about time I learned to so hispanic neighborhoods are fine.

I have found some very inexpensive places in the West Park area. We were also looking at Hollywood which I drove around recently and it seemed nice enough although things changed a lot from one block to the next.

I was reading through the forum at the places people recommend and while they are all really nice places they are just way out of our price rang. We are a young couple, recently graduated college although with the economy the way it is we don't make much money. We just want a decently safe place we can live for a few years while we save money to live somewhere better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 09:37 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
First, misconceptions cleared. Gang Violence isn't the issue in West Park/Pembroke Park, but burglary is. There aren't a lot of true Hispanic neighborhoods in Broward, although the highest concentrations tend to be in areas where homes are $300k+...

Anyway, don't move to Pembroke Park or West Park. Just not a good area. Anyway, here are some no-frills areas that aren't as high priced...

Hollywood, east of US1.- There are still a lot of apartments/duplexes at the fringe between US1 and the "nice area", and the in between area isn't too bad if you use common sense. Don't look even one block west of US1 though.

Hollywood, between State Road 7 and I-95, north of Hollywood Blvd- Nothing too bad in here, should find a few apartments in the price range.

East Miramar, across from Pembroke Park- Between 62nd Ave and the turnpike is a fairly quiet area, even experiencing some light gentrification. Mostly black if that bothers you. Try not to look into areas right on Pembroke Rd or west of the Turnpike which have more drug related and spillover crime.

East Pembroke Pines- east of Douglas Rd. Much older and less flashy than the rest of Pembroke Pines, but not much crime. The sections of Hollywood that it border on are not much different, so let's just say the area between the Turnpike and Douglas Rd. Pembroke Rd is dodgy but the rest is mostly OK.

Cooper City- East of Nob Hill Rd/ SW 100th Ave, north of Stirling Rd, along SW 90th Ave. This is a working class area with a few duplexes/apartments mixed in where it is VERY safe day or night, and would be the area I would aim for.

You could also consider a mobile home in Davie, but the hurricane risk is substantial.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:57 AM

157 posts, read 487,538 times
Default golly

Sorry to get off topic, but wow, compelled to reply. How do you know such detailed and accurate information? Really this is just a rhetorical question.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:30 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,890 times
No ! Stay away at all costs! The place is pure crime and lots of poverty.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:38 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,891 times
h2go, I know, right? CtR is incredible.

OP, that strip in Cooper City was the first place I thought of. Wold be great for you esp if you like a more suburban environment. The area around Hollywood that CtR describes may be more preferable if you like it more urban, while downtown Hollywood has lots of restaurants, shops, live music, etc and is 'younger.' It's also much closer to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area