Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 12:53 PM

148 posts, read 389,448 times

Advertisements

I live in NYC and I am considering moving down to Broward County to work for the Broward County Sheriffs Office. They are hiring big time and I enjoyed Broward County during a couple of vacations in recent years.I went to college in CT and lived in the northeast my entire life so Florida will be a big change.

My fiance is obviously coming with me and like me she is also college educated and has a good resume so I believe she shouldn't have any trouble finding a decent corporate job.

Can any of you offer any advice of what should I expect life to be like in Broward as a Deputy Sheriff? How can I make such a large transition run smoothly by knowing what to expect living in Broward County?

What towns should I live in if I am seeking a quite and family type area with nice housing/condos. I will be renting for at least my first year and looking to spend 800 - 1400 per month. How is traffic, quality of life, crime, restaurants and schools?

Thank you

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 03:50 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,966 times
Crime is definitely high and the rest varies.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:50 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
u will see much crazier and more bizarre things working as a cop in broward than u ever would in NYC....its the wild west down here with a ton of illegals from 3rd world nations who could care less what the laws are or if u r a cop or not...i would not want to pull over a randon car down here...its a zoo...

Old 05-04-2007, 09:23 AM

518 posts, read 2,226,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimus View Post
What towns should I live in if I am seeking a quite and family type area with nice housing/condos.
Check out Davie, Plantation, Sunrise, Coral Springs, Cooper City and Pembroke Pines. Add Tamarac to the list if you don't mind being around a high percentage of retirees. Weston is very nice but a tad pricey.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:36 AM

937 posts, read 2,889,074 times
Default even though most of the people in Broward are from NY, it's still not like being home

You say that you liked it for vacation? It's a whole different ballgame once you live there. There are nice neighborhoods and all, but you do have alot of crime and violence as well in the surrounding areas. Traffic you ask? It's worse than NY! The houses are tiny and on top of each other in the mid-range neighborhoods, you will be paying close to $450,000 for one of those houses too. We are flying down next week for our son's wedding next week and can't wait to see him, but dread being in that area. People say that NY is crazy? Welcome to Broward County!!
If you are looking for a decent area, try Deerfield Beach. There's a mix of homes and condo's there. Coral Springs is loaded with us New Yorker's too.
Even though we were around people from NY there, I still missed being back up north. We ended up moving back to the Northeast 3 months ago.

Florida is wonderful for vacation, but living there for some isn't the best choice.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:58 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
Sometimes when I read these posts I feel like I am living in a totally different city. But, then again, not being in law enforcement, and just going home-work-home makes for a pretty sheltered existence.

I live in Broward. My office is in Plantation. My home is in Weston. If you are working for BSO which area will you be in -- do you know? One of the other posters mentioned some areas and I have to agree with their recommendation. You will find an apartment in the upper bracket of your price range.

Rent for a while and take day trips or weekend trips around south Florida to get better acqainted with the area. We like living here and have not experienced one iota of the problems other posters have listed.

Welcome to south Florida!

Old 05-04-2007, 11:11 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
"I live in NYC and I am considering moving down to Broward County to work for the Broward County Sheriffs Office. They are hiring big time... "

Be aware of the high-stakes politics going on with Jenne and his detractors. You can almost be guaranteed to be jumping into a sizzling frying pan where members of the force and the public are polarized on the issues. Ask some of the people working there, or who have just left, for their candid opinions. You may find it nothing to be concerned about, or it could affect your decision to hire on. As has been stated above, south Florida ain't Mayberry.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:55 PM

148 posts, read 389,448 times
Default Broward County

I want to thank everyone for their replies, you all have been very helpful. I have a few more questions for those who can help. Is the Broward County Sheriffs Office highly respected by the public? And are they viewed differently then the local town or city police such as Fort Lauderdale police or Plantation police?

Also, anyone know of any website/forum where I can speak to officers about BSO?

Thanks again

Matt

Old 05-04-2007, 06:21 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
IMO, BSO officers are generally decent hardworking people. I respect them more than Hollywood (which isn't saying much), but not quite as much as the Margate officers, who (again, IMO) do a fantastic job of policing without being overbearing. I've seen too many little dictators and misfits in police service, and regard most police forces as more like a group of people scared to lose control and working out their time to retirement than an effective representation of community values, but you could do worse than BSO if you can stand the politics. Try Margate first though.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:31 AM

130 posts, read 155,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimus View Post
I live in NYC and I am considering moving down to Broward County to work for the Broward County Sheriffs Office. They are hiring big time and I enjoyed Broward County during a couple of vacations in recent years.I went to college in CT and lived in the northeast my entire life so Florida will be a big change.

My fiance is obviously coming with me and like me she is also college educated and has a good resume so I believe she shouldn't have any trouble finding a decent corporate job.

Can any of you offer any advice of what should I expect life to be like in Broward as a Deputy Sheriff? How can I make such a large transition run smoothly by knowing what to expect living in Broward County?

What towns should I live in if I am seeking a quite and family type area with nice housing/condos. I will be renting for at least my first year and looking to spend 800 - 1400 per month. How is traffic, quality of life, crime, restaurants and schools?

Thank you

Matt
I come from a family that has a long, long history with BSO.
My Father is retired from there my Brother is a Deputy working in Lauderdale Lakes and have several uncles retired and current working there along with several friends.
I worked for several years as purchasing director/Security operations supervisor for former Sheriff Nick Navarro.You did not mention if you were being hired into the academy or if you were already certified from NY?
I think with the current Broward County living standards (cost of living) infastructure type jobs have taken a huge hit.Hard to live on a starting Deputies salary now compared to if you started 8-10 years ago and bought a home then.With a degree you could try and move up the ranks as you gain seniority.But, until then you could work alot of detail work it is abundant.
Are you selling a home with sizable equity in NY to help the transition period?

This is not the Broward County that New Yorkers invaded years ago.
When New Yorkers first started migrating to Broward they actually sold homes in New York that would fully purchase a home in South Florida and still have alot of money left over.

Broward is not the only County to look into try Southwest Florida, Port St. Lucie,Martin County etc..

P.S. The current Sheriff is not exactly a "Deputies man"
He will throw your a$$ under the bus real quick to save his own.
This Sheriff is a politician/Attorney first Sheriff second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area