Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 PM

6 posts, read 11,807 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to West Miramar in the next month and would like to know the easist way to get to Turnpike North. I saw that there is no exit ramp from I-75 eastbound to Turnpike north, and only a southbound exit.

Anyone else here really annoyed with the I-75/Turnpike interchange? You cannot get I-75 from turnpike southbound, and you cannot get Turnpike from I-75 westbound. They built all these new houses close by and no proper highway access.

Any realtime estimates from Miramar blvd to Turnpike North would be great. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:47 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,674,595 times
You should be able to get on the Turnpike Extension at Red Rd, and take that east until it turns north. I'm sure I have done this.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
You should be able to get on the Turnpike Extension at Red Rd, and take that east until it turns north. I'm sure I have done this.
Thanks Fauve, I was thinking that would be the easiest and fastest way. I'm wondering what the ride is like between 7-8am

Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,783,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTinMIA View Post
Thanks Fauve, I was thinking that would be the easiest and fastest way. I'm wondering what the ride is like between 7-8am
It will be a pretty easy ride, there isn't too much morning traffic in the area, but depending on how far north or east you have to go, you may want to just consider taking I-75 to another appropriate cut over. Also, there can be long delays at the Dykes Rd and Red Rd traffic lights due to awful synchronization. Assuming you live all the way out west of 184th Ave, this will take about 20 minutes at absolute worst (say you live deep into Sunset Lakes, hit every red light, etc), and less if you live any further east. Average ride would be closer to 10-15 minutes.

Also, I'm assuming you meant Miramar Pkwy, or did you really mean Miramar Blvd? Both are fairly major streets but the parkway is the bigger one.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
It will be a pretty easy ride, there isn't too much morning traffic in the area, but depending on how far north or east you have to go, you may want to just consider taking I-75 to another appropriate cut over. Also, there can be long delays at the Dykes Rd and Red Rd traffic lights due to awful synchronization. Assuming you live all the way out west of 184th Ave, this will take about 20 minutes at absolute worst (say you live deep into Sunset Lakes, hit every red light, etc), and less if you live any further east. Average ride would be closer to 10-15 minutes.

Also, I'm assuming you meant Miramar Pkwy, or did you really mean Miramar Blvd? Both are fairly major streets but the parkway is the bigger one.
Yeah sorry about that. I meant Miramar pkwy. We will actually be very close to I-75 (We thought about that when choosing a home). We are off Dykes and Miramar. I guess the biggest time stopper will be the Red Road light as you say, but considering i'm making a right from Dykes to Miramar and a right from Miramar to Red Rd, I should be ok.

Thanks for the input guys. My wife works in Downtown FT laud and I'm thinking Turnpike North to Broward Blvd will be the fastest route vs I-75 NB to I-595 EB.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:10 PM

141 posts, read 403,328 times
Quote:
My wife works in Downtown FT laud and I'm thinking Turnpike North to Broward Blvd will be the fastest route vs I-75 NB to I-595 EB.
I would use Dykes to Sheridan, Sheridan to I-75, I-75 to 595 assuming she would not be traveling during school drop off time.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. My wife works in Downtown FT laud and I'm thinking Turnpike North to Broward Blvd will be the fastest route vs I-75 NB to I-595 EB.
Yeah, in which case, this will be the fastest way. 75 to 595 is not a good bet at this time of day, but past the turnpike, most of the morning congestion has ended. On the other hand, afternoon delays can reach all the way to State Road 7 at their worst and usually end past University Dr, but aren't as severe as mornings for whatever reason. It's also not uncommon to get a smooth ride west bound, and typical afternoon is just a slight 45 mph bottleneck at University Dr.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffeer View Post
I would use Dykes to Sheridan, Sheridan to I-75, I-75 to 595 assuming she would not be traveling during school drop off time.
I don't think this is a good way, they will be stuck at every light on Dykes Rd and there is very easy access to 75 right from Miramar Pkwy if they wanted to go to 595, especially since they are making a right at Dykes. If anything, taking 75 (from Miramar) to Griffin Rd east bound to Davie Rd to meet back with 595 could be a good way to avoid morning rush hour delays without using the turnpike. While the lights seem to be sequenced fairly well on Griffin Rd, I still don't think this would cut any time compared to just getting to the turnpike unless you were driving very fast on Griffin.

Then again, I think West Miramar is probably the most inconvenient place to commute to/from downtown in Broward County.

Also, watch your speed on Miramar Pkwy- infamous speed traps, especially on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Only Davie is worse for this IMO.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:26 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,674,595 times
Quote:
It's really not too bad. The turnpike extension will be empty vs 595E which is a nightmare. Turnpike north won't be bad either. The most traffic she'll have will be on Broward Blvd headed east.

Last edited by fauve; 06-16-2009 at 11:07 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 03:42 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,011,996 times
yes...red road. Im assuming you live in Silver Shores. Best route :

North on Dykes to Pembroke...East on Pembroke to Red Road, South on Red road to Turnpike....Turnpike to Broward. Avoid 595 at all costs !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area