Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:37 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times

Advertisements

We have a blacktop asphalt driveway. It needs to be redone. We are debating whether to pull it out and put in interlocking brick or other stone and extend that look to the walkway, etc. I wonder if that will really enhance our property all that much and increase the value.

As I drive around looking at other properties with interlocking brick, I find that most homeowners don't really maintain them even though they may have spent many thousands of dollars on the job. You thoughts?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 12:07 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
I would not think that upgrading your driveway right now would help your property value, but would increase its desirability. I would say if you like it, go for it. Maintaining it is just a matter of Round-up for weeds and pressure-cleaning every 6 months to a year. Anyone who isn't maintaining it, is just slacking off or are renters, and it's the landlord's responsibility. The HOA should be on top of this as well.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:21 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
brick pavers are a waste of money IMO. Stamped concrete looks just as good if not better, is less maintenance and is thousands of dollars cheaper. The only bad thing is that you need a concrete base to begin with. Asphalt is different. I would not spend money on it...I would just re-mop the top every year. But again..thats IMO

Old 09-26-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
brick pavers are a waste of money IMO. Stamped concrete looks just as good if not better, is less maintenance and is thousands of dollars cheaper. The only bad thing is that you need a concrete base to begin with. Asphalt is different. I would not spend money on it...I would just re-mop the top every year. But again..thats IMO
We actually just made a similar choice for around the pool, and went for Kool decking as opposed to pavers. Completely budget motivated as we prefer the look of pavers (esp travertine), but were not convinced the investment was justified. We've never stayed in one house for more than 5 years, so we need to consider that too when making upgrades.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:26 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
I heard that Kool Deck stuff is awesome ! pictures please !

Old 09-26-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
I heard that Kool Deck stuff is awesome ! pictures please !
When it's done, you got it. The guy is working on the coping right now, so hopefully, depending on rain, should be in a week or 2.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:37 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
You can go with concrete base and half-height pavers. No weeds.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:13 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
Ruski - can you recommend anyone?

Fauve - we have a kool deck like product on our deck which we do like. It has been some years and we need it redone - is there anyone you can recommend? Please pm me - thank you!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Ruski - can you recommend anyone?

Fauve - we have a kool deck like product on our deck which we do like. It has been some years and we need it redone - is there anyone you can recommend? Please pm me - thank you!
lol, I'll let you know if he's worth the recommendation after he's done.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:19 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
We had out pool deck done with half height pavers on concrete base. Pool company did the base. The pavers were done by this paver company out of Hollywood, but I can't remember their name off the top of my head. I will try to look them up. The actual bricks were backed by a brick factory somewhere in Pompano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area