Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 11:36 AM

4 posts, read 4,111 times

Advertisements

In an effort to perform some due diligence, I have read several threads within this Ft. Lauderdale forum from beginning to end. That being said, I still would appreciate some feedback specific to my situation.

I am a 42 year old, single, straight, white-collar professional (IT Consulting) currently based in NYC. I work for a small IT consulting company, all of my work is done remotely (meaning, no immediate need for a job search). I may have to fly back to NYC once per month, but no need to be close to an airport.

I would like to relocate near Ft. Lauderdale, I want to get out of the cold weather, change of pace, etc., I plan to rent first before buying but I want to rent in the area I would eventually like to settle in; but where??

Where can I rent a 1BR for $1200 per month from Jan thru April? An area where I can walk for a coffee in the morning? Walk to some lunch options in the afternoon? (walk or short drive)

At night, an area with Bars and Lounges, that I can frequent a few times per week.

I don’t need to be ‘on the water’, I guess I want to be ‘east of 1-95’ (not mandatory).

Does all of this ‘add up to’ a certain location??

I have heard Downtown Las Olas might be the place, but don’t know the specifics.

Thank you in advance for any insight you provide.

FourWedges
(yes I love to golf also)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 12:24 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
3 places that I would suggest you look at - Las Olas, Hollywood Beach high-rises over the broadwalk & downtown Delray Beach (which is a short way north of the Broward-Palm Beach line). I would also suggest places out west like Weston near Town Center (so you could walk to coffee & lunch), if you'd like some of the same thing but with more of a suburban vibe.

Also, welcome to the board & forum!

Old 09-25-2009, 02:21 PM

392 posts, read 1,260,834 times
Excellent locations mentioned by Fauve.......

However, you mentioned renting from Jan - April. That is the height of the tourist season here where people are getting TOP Dollar for a 4 month rental... I'm thinking they're probably in the range of 2,000 to 3,000 a month.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:02 PM

Thanks for those responses.

Given the 'peak season' issue, perhaps I will modify my ideal location in order to get closer to my price .. and then visit those preferred locations to get a feel for them.

Is $1200 per month not realistic, even furthur West??

Thanks

Old 09-25-2009, 03:41 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWedges View Post
In an effort to perform some due diligence, I have read several threads within this Ft. Lauderdale forum from beginning to end. That being said, I still would appreciate some feedback specific to my situation.

I am a 42 year old, single, straight, white-collar professional (IT Consulting) currently based in NYC. I work for a small IT consulting company, all of my work is done remotely (meaning, no immediate need for a job search). I may have to fly back to NYC once per month, but no need to be close to an airport.

I would like to relocate near Ft. Lauderdale, I want to get out of the cold weather, change of pace, etc., I plan to rent first before buying but I want to rent in the area I would eventually like to settle in; but where??

Where can I rent a 1BR for $1200 per month from Jan thru April? An area where I can walk for a coffee in the morning? Walk to some lunch options in the afternoon? (walk or short drive)

At night, an area with Bars and Lounges, that I can frequent a few times per week.

I don’t need to be ‘on the water’, I guess I want to be ‘east of 1-95’ (not mandatory).

Does all of this ‘add up to’ a certain location??

I have heard Downtown Las Olas might be the place, but don’t know the specifics.

Thank you in advance for any insight you provide.

FourWedges
(yes I love to golf also)
Flagler Village, Rio Vista, Tarpin River (bit of a further walk to the downtown), Colle Hammock, Victora Park (southern half of this area), Sailboat Bend.

Those are your choices for areas in and near downtown Ft. lauderdale where you can walk to things. You should be able to find something in your price range in those areas. As for change of pace, take it from one NYer to another. The grind is the grind, no matter where its at. Don't come expecting mayburry (the Andy Griffen Show). The vibe/pace in the areas I named would be more downtown Brooklyn than Manhattan though if I could compare it to anything.

Friend of mine at work is from The Bronx. She is moving downtown Fort Lauderdale too. Says it reminds her more of NY than any other part of Fort Lauderdale in that its more urban. even though you don't care about the water you can get to the beach if that becomes your thing fairly quickly by bike or walking fairly easy from the areas I named.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWedges View Post
Thanks for those responses.

Given the 'peak season' issue, perhaps I will modify my ideal location in order to get closer to my price .. and then visit those preferred locations to get a feel for them.

Is $1200 per month not realistic, even furthur West??

Thanks

If you're looking for a regular 12 month lease, you will be looking at places with normal prices. They only go up for short-term rentals - like for the period *only* between Jan and April. You should definitely be able to find a one year lease on a 1 bedroom for $1200 in the areas mentioned.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:04 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
Surprised no one has mentioned downtown Hollywood.

But I agree that getting a peak season short-term for $1200 would be difficult. Also, my understanding is that further west is less touristy, also less corporate rentals, and it may be harder to find short-term at all.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned downtown Hollywood.

But I agree that getting a peak season short-term for $1200 would be difficult. Also, my understanding is that further west is less touristy, also less corporate rentals, and it may be harder to find short-term at all.
I feel downtown Hollywood is a great addition to the places mentioned. There are others on this board who fervently disagree, so in the interest of keeping the peace, and avoiding the umpteenth debate on the subject, I skipped it. Sad, but true, lol.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Flagler Village, Rio Vista, Tarpin River (bit of a further walk to the downtown), Colle Hammock, Victora Park (southern half of this area), Sailboat Bend.

Those are your choices for areas in and near downtown Ft. lauderdale where you can walk to things. You should be able to find something in your price range in those areas. As for change of pace, take it from one NYer to another. The grind is the grind, no matter where its at. Don't come expecting mayburry (the Andy Griffen Show). The vibe/pace in the areas I named would be more downtown Brooklyn than Manhattan though if I could compare it to anything.

Friend of mine at work is from The Bronx. She is moving downtown Fort Lauderdale too. Says it reminds her more of NY than any other part of Fort Lauderdale in that its more urban. even though you don't care about the water you can get to the beach if that becomes your thing fairly quickly by bike or walking fairly easy from the areas I named.

Thanks for this reply and all others as well. Valuable info!

Reading some other threads has opened my eyes a bit to the reality of 'living somewhere' vs. 'vacationing somewhere'.

But I guess thats what 'renting first' is all about.

FourWedges
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area