Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 04:05 PM

433 posts, read 1,011,779 times

Advertisements

Im really trying to figure out the scene here and am really getting conflicting information.

If there is no good tech school here I will probably NOT end up in this area, although I may do the upcoming season here and put off school.

Im getting conflicting information. Some act like Ft Lauderdale is a poor man's Miami without Miami problems with a nice night life scene and a modest amount of seasonal jobs and entertainment -- along with nice beaches.

Others make it out to be a graveyard of retired old people, and kind of a trashy area that is spread out and it's only appeal is a short commute to Miami.

So I'd like to hear from the single straight young people from 21-35 to get your take on all this.

If I move to Ft Lauderdale this is the conditions I would require:

-A short commute (30 min tops) to a tech school that can get me a good job and not waste my education.

-A location that is within walking distance (or less than 5 miles) to the nightlife, entertainment, and beaches without getting shot in my head for looking at someone funny.

-A good young social scene/entertainment scene (21-35) That includes trendy clubs of good size.

-A reasonable shot at a service industry job that pays tips by some time in January at the latest if I come down sometime in November and look every day and follow common sense protocol for landing a job.

Is this realistic expectation or is this a pipe dream and why?

If it's a pipe dream where else in Florida might be better for me?

If this is realistic what are some of the area's that I should be looking into to live within fort lauderdale, that would meet these requirements? I know it's kind of spread out a bit so I want to live in a conveniant area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 04:25 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,050,573 times
There is no tech school within 5 miles of entertainment....you have unrealistic expectations.

A good tech school is McFatter in Davie. Davie is very close to 595 which is about 10 miles away from Downtown Ft.Lauderdale. Davie is a nice place to live and has some good nightlife in the way of many sports bars, country western bars and other places such as Gatsby's. You would like Davie.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:37 PM

433 posts, read 1,011,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
There is no tech school within 5 miles of entertainment....you have unrealistic expectations.

Thats not what I asked for Moderator cut: personal attack I don't need to live 5 miles from tech school. I need to live 5 miles or less from entertainment and night life. Like big clubs with real good dj's and a wild scene. No country.

Last edited by fauve; 09-29-2009 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area