Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,089 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move from Fort Lauderdale to Chicago. Can anyone tell us what state the mountains are in? How far is that state from Florida? How long is the drive? What are some of the questions we should be asking the truck rental company? We will be driving a 24 footer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 03:44 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,786,946 times
Don't move to Fort Lauderdale if you are looking to be close to mountains. The closest ones are at least a days drive in far north Georgia. To be honest, you would be better off flying. If you are looking to be near beaches, this area can be a good bet. If you are looking to be near mountains, try stopping the truck in Atlanta or Charlotte.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:32 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,675,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFrancesEye View Post
We are looking to move from Fort Lauderdale to Chicago. Can anyone tell us what state the mountains are in? How far is that state from Florida? How long is the drive? What are some of the questions we should be asking the truck rental company? We will be driving a 24 footer.

Are you asking because you are concerned about running into mountains along the drive from here to there? What time of year will you be driving? Plan your route using mapquest. How long it will take will depend a lot on how long you spend on the road each day. Once you have an estimate of how long the entire trip will take, just divide by that many hours.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:33 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,786,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Are you asking because you are concerned about running into mountains along the drive from here to there? What time of year will you be driving? Plan your route using mapquest. How long it will take will depend a lot on how long you spend on the road each day. Once you have an estimate of how long the entire trip will take, just divide by that many hours.
If that's the concern, I agree with this and must say that I'm pretty embarrassed.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:04 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,757,818 times
If your post is because you are driving to Chicago from Fort Lauderdale, if you keep to the western route - you will likely not encounter much in mountains. The mountain ridges are on the eastern end (the Carolinas, West Virginia etc.). I would get information from the trucking company and then post on the travel or general moving forum on this site.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:46 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,335,567 times
Try searching this forum a bit as you may find a similar post as yours. See the following and it may answer your question.

* City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Driving from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale in March (Atlanta, Tennessee: construction, tornado)

I just drove this in June with no problems. Excellent highways and minimal mountain range. Some sections of highway were curvy.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:19 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,675,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
If that's the concern, I agree with this and must say that I'm pretty embarrassed.
you should be, lol! j/k

OP, try posting this in the general moving forum on city-data as well - you should get some good answers there too:

//www.city-data.com/forum/general-moving-issues/

Old 10-11-2009, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,703 times
No mountains here, but Michigan and Wisconsin have passable skiing. Not the rockies, but doable for a three day weekend from Chicago.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:30 PM

59 posts, read 155,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFrancesEye View Post
If you want to trade route ideas, message me. I'm making the drive November 15 down there from Chicago myself

I plan on driving there in about 25 hours with rest stops in Hotlanta and Orlando.

P.S. I'm even bringing all the famous Chicago fast food I can for friends in Florida (White Castle, Portillos, Five Faces, Ginos)

Old 10-17-2009, 09:56 AM

5 posts, read 12,604 times
It took us 22 hours in a 24 foot truck last October. With 2 overnight stops. Not a bad drive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area