Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 AM

433 posts, read 1,011,528 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot about people being materialistic and shallow in south florida but I hear the same about south california. I hear that the people are fake and it's all about what kind of car you drive and what your image is and all that.

I work for people from the area and they seem fine to me, although they did relocate out of that area, they still visit there.

I talked to a guy at a local tech school in south florida and he was very helpful and didn't seem to be stuck up at all.

I don't drive a nice car, my image isn't trump tight, my future goals don't immediately lead to riches.

Im just a dude who likes to go out and have a fun time, and who works hard at his job. My car is a 2001 Honda Coupe. There is no bad ass stereosystem or wild rims. I don't have 300 dollar jeans and I have needed a new pair of shoes for a while now. When I buy them I will probably go on ebay and buy a 100 dollar pair of shoes for 50 bucks. My dressy buttondown shirt and the ability to style my hair is about the pinnacle of my image. Pretty much Im just a down to earth guy. My teeth whitener has been sitting in the junk drawer for weeks.

Anyways the point is I am strongly considering moving to Hollywood. With a reasonable crime rate, a low murder rate, and proximity to Fort lauderdale and Miami for work it seems to be a good choice on paper. There even seems to be some quality bars and clubs in Hollywood and certainly next door in Miami and Fort Lauderdale -- but how exclusive is this community?

Will I be weeded out by people my age because Im not on the brink of fame? Will no one want to be seen with me because my teeth are not perfectly white and straight? Will my car be a detriment to me? Will I be made to feel like a loser?

Whats the real deal here guys? I want to go down there, take advantage of the season and work in some restaurants. Obviously I want to meet some people and make some friends. Is it so tough in south Florida -- is there such a big difference in the people and establishments that I should actually seek to AVOID south florida in favor of central Florida in order to meet my goals or is this just another stereotype that I will certainly run into but that will by no means define my success in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 11:56 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
There are so many different groups of people here and I am not referring to ethnicity - from all walks of life. To be sure, yes we have those who are pretentious, shallow, with too much money or not enough money who want to be and look the part (whatever that may mean). You will find every different facet of society here.

Attitude speaks volumes. If you are a decent human being then you will find your niche here - conversely if you are the opposite you will also find your niche here. The only thing you might not find here is a job - those are pretty scarce.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:21 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
No, many people here are really not that bad. There are many who are not from here so getting to know new people takes time especially if you judge somebody poorly and then have to weed them out.

My husband and I have rules we live by when it comes to meeting new people:
1. Never sell ourselves out. It is too obvious when we do it. However, I did have to improve my social skills as I came from a small town where everybody knew each other.
2.If we have way more invested in a relationship with another person, it is time to weed them out.
3. Don't worry about snobby people because they probably just have a superiority complex. People we worked with 10 years ago are now business owners. We know corporate lawyers, lawn mowers, university professors, roofers. There are too many people out there to be worrying about snobs no matter how rich or well connected they are.

One thing we did notice when we first moved here was that some people would ask us to hang out and then flake out. It mostly happened with those who we really did not have anything in common with except that we worked in the same place. Funny thing though, this was how we made many friends in Fort Worth.

Good luck. Other people know Hollywood better. I think there was a great thread about Hollywood just recently.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
There are so many different groups of people here and I am not referring to ethnicity - from all walks of life. To be sure, yes we have those who are pretentious, shallow, with too much money or not enough money who want to be and look the part (whatever that may mean). You will find every different facet of society here.

Attitude speaks volumes. If you are a decent human being then you will find your niche here - conversely if you are the opposite you will also find your niche here. The only thing you might not find here is a job - those are pretty scarce.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:35 PM

Right now the bad rep the people get is the only thing keeping me from moving to the area because the south florida region is the only region in florida that has schools AND seasonal jobs in the restaurant industry. Tampa doesn't have a season and Orlando doesn't have that much of a snowbird season. Daytona and Sarasota DO but they don't have schools. So either I'm looking at moving to South Florida or I am looking at moving to central florida and having an hour long commute to get to work or to get to school.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Right now the bad rep the people get is the only thing keeping me from moving to the area because the south florida region is the only region in florida that has schools AND seasonal jobs in the restaurant industry. Tampa doesn't have a season and Orlando doesn't have that much of a snowbird season. Daytona and Sarasota DO but they don't have schools. So either I'm looking at moving to South Florida or I am looking at moving to central florida and having an hour long commute to get to work or to get to school.
I had a co-worker who kept her waitress job just for the purpose of making friends. It was easier for her to do it that way.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:47 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
I have very few friends.....mostly spend time with my family and my wife. I work about 70 hours a week though too....must have something to do with it. For the most part, and this is going to sound sad, I always have my guard up and rarely trust anyone down here. My wife is the same way too. So we just really enjoy each other. We are best friends and have a blast together. I have seen too many couples "try" to have mutual couple friends and it backfires....the end up having a strain on their relationship because the friends get in the way. Then the guys hang out with the other guys too much...the wife hangs out with the lady friends too much and the couple starts growing very distant. Sooner or later, divorce happens. I am getting of topic though here. Only thing I can tell you like Fauve mentioned is that there are MANY groups here, so you are bound to find people you like. Lot of diversity. Every metropolitan area is going to have the snooty and snobby types that will ALWAYS stick together no matter what and then you have the down to earth people. We have both. Good luck

Old 10-08-2009, 02:18 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Only thing I can tell you like Fauve mentioned is that there are MANY groups here, so you are bound to find people you like. Lot of diversity. Every metropolitan area is going to have the snooty and snobby types that will ALWAYS stick together no matter what and then you have the down to earth people. We have both. Good luck
lol, that was jhlcomp, but am flattered by your confusion!

Eagle, I think she said it best too, tho I'm a bit more pessimistic. I think as a single 20-something, you'll be fine. The restaurant business does attract its share of transients, the hard-ups and the druggies, so as long as you're selective, you should be fine.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
I have very few friends.....mostly spend time with my family and my wife. I work about 70 hours a week though too....must have something to do with it. For the most part, and this is going to sound sad, I always have my guard up and rarely trust anyone down here. My wife is the same way too. So we just really enjoy each other. We are best friends and have a blast together. I have seen too many couples "try" to have mutual couple friends and it backfires....the end up having a strain on their relationship because the friends get in the way. Then the guys hang out with the other guys too much...the wife hangs out with the lady friends too much and the couple starts growing very distant. Sooner or later, divorce happens. I am getting of topic though here. Only thing I can tell you like Fauve mentioned is that there are MANY groups here, so you are bound to find people you like. Lot of diversity. Every metropolitan area is going to have the snooty and snobby types that will ALWAYS stick together no matter what and then you have the down to earth people. We have both. Good luck
You sound like my husband and I thought he was like that as a result of living in a communist country.

We definitely started out that way for the first 5 years in Fla. My husband always tried to figure out why someone would befriend us, especially me.

Then I started socializing more because of work but something amazing happened that weeded out "those" others -- I had my baby. Out of all of my "friends" only one has consistently come by to see me, call me and wait for me to get out more. It has been tough with a baby who HATES the carseat; I haven't been able to travel for more than 5 miles.

All the others are just people I remain friendly with because I have helped them out before and I hope they would do it for us someday but I am not holding my breath. Anyway, our friends in Texas have come through for us more often.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:25 PM

I make friends or acquantances or connections with outgoing down to earth laid back people. I don't need them to be my lifelong best friends, just people who share some of my interests like going out or hitting up the beach or getting together for some beers and barbeques. I make friends with outgoing people the easiest. People who have walls up or trust issues or keep to themselves or judge and harass those around them I just tend not to befriend. People who are snobby don't take me seriously at all, there's always something they can find to critisize or some reason they can find to put distance between myself and them.

I don't mind people that have attractive images they try to live up to, as that tends to make me more socially aware and it seems to productively rub off on me. I don't see it as fake, I see it as striving to move up the social ladder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area