U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 09:30 AM

593 posts, read 1,724,988 times

Advertisements

I am renting a condo from a california owner. i am in pompano on the beach. at some point, my balcony was painted white. a neighbor says it was like that for 20 years. it is the condo color (murky brown) on the outside of the railing, but the rest is white.

suddenly this is an emergency they need access to my unit with my emergency key to repair while i am at work. I have been there for over two years and i am not ok with that AND the balcony looks good white, i have decorated to match that. The entire unit looks out to the balcony and i have done everything nfromt he paint up in blue and white. the brown will be ugly AND they do not have the ability to meet my work hours and want to go itno my unti with a "condo rep" and a painter when i am not home.

my landlor is not concerned one way or the other. can i keep these &%(&%(&^%s out of my home?

the condo secretary says that a new owner has put in windows that are not approved so that means it IS an emergency that they paint MY porch. that's bogus, no?

should i tell them i am talking to a lawyer? shoudl i tell them i will call teh police? the key i gave them was supposed to be used only in emergency.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 09:31 AM

593 posts, read 1,724,988 times
i am the only renter my landlord has had since he bought in early 2007 -- with the white porch

Old 10-09-2009, 09:48 AM

2,517 posts, read 10,262,391 times
If it's indeed a cosmetic issue, then it should not be an "emergency" Send them in a letter in WRITING (verbal attemps do not hold up in court) and send it CERTIFIED return receipt mail clearly stating that nobody is allowed in your condo without your permission and painting to the balcony can only be done when you are there, at your convenience.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:27 PM

141 posts, read 369,015 times
Unfortunately as a renter you have little or no standing with the condo. You will need the Owner to write a letter, making the point that a cosmetic change is hardly an emergency and they are to make arrangements with him at his convenience. Have him send it certified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area