Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:51 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times

Advertisements

Who has moved from NJ to FL? Are you happy in FL now? DO you regret it?How did you make the transition? Job first or apt.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:36 AM

188 posts, read 587,715 times
I have moved from NJ to FL but I lived in south Jersey which is quite different from central or north Jersey. My transition wasn't hard because I have lived in other parts of Fl before. I don't regret the move but if you like seasons and cooler weather, it could be difficult. I feel a little isolated here also. In NJ you are able to get to several different areas (New York, Philly, Washington DC etc...) in no time. Here, you have to fly no matter where you want to go. On the flip side, cruise ports are right here, Disney is 3 hours away and you always have a beach available.
I would never come down here without a job. I don't work but I do know salaries are much lower here than up north. From a south Jersey standpoint, the cost of living is more expensive down here. I don't think that is the case in Central and most areas of north Jersey
Good luck.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 AM

36 posts, read 135,648 times
Hey Reven,

I am doing this now and started a thread yesterday asking for advice. I'm definitely working to line up a job before I attempt to move... but I am hoping the change will provide me with a little more stability in the labor market - and a few extra days of sunlight.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:48 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
expatNYC>

The job market is horrible here, probably much worse than NJ. Don't move here until you have a job lined up or else you could be setting yourself up for financial ruin. To make your job hunt easier, I'd strongly recommend renting a P.O. Box here in Ft. Lauderdale so that employers will either think you live here already or that you have already begun to move down. That way they will take you seriously as most employers don't waste time with people from out of state. You can always have the P.O. Box mail forwarded to your NJ address in the meantime, so you never even have to leave NJ until you actually have an interview set up down here.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:33 AM

17 posts, read 41,685 times
There are many pros and cons to moving to Fl. I have been here for 14 years and the first year I hated it. One of the main differences you will find is that in the north east you have generations of families and a sense of community. You will find Fl has low salaries, no state labor laws only federal. You can be fired on the spot, no 3 write ups before dismissal. Employer not required to give you a lunch hour, so they can demand that you work thru lunch. Overtime is after 40 hours, and if there is a holiday in that week, or you take a sick day you lose your OT. Now each employer is different, but you will find most operate this way. The plus to Florida, is easier commutes. Great weather, easier lifestyle, less traffic, and overall it is cheaper to live versus up north. You will find the Holidays strange, since there is no cold weather. People hang lights on their palm trees. I hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:34 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchsouthfloridahomes View Post
There are many pros and cons to moving to Fl. I have been here for 14 years and the first year I hated it. One of the main differences you will find is that in the north east you have generations of families and a sense of community. You will find Fl has low salaries, no state labor laws only federal. You can be fired on the spot, no 3 write ups before dismissal. Employer not required to give you a lunch hour, so they can demand that you work thru lunch. Overtime is after 40 hours, and if there is a holiday in that week, or you take a sick day you lose your OT. Now each employer is different, but you will find most operate this way. The plus to Florida, is easier commutes. Great weather, easier lifestyle, less traffic, and overall it is cheaper to live versus up north. You will find the Holidays strange, since there is no cold weather. People hang lights on their palm trees. I hope this helps.
I have to disagree about easy commutes/less traffic. It depends on where you work and live, just like any big city.

Great weather is subjective. I'm not fond of the hot summers, or the lack of seasons we have here, but love the "winters" here. I quote winters, because they barely qualify as that. While everyone is complaining about the "cold" (we're talking only 50-65 degrees for the most part ), most Northerners are the ones with their t-shirts calling it heaven. There are times when you'll experience low 40s- high 30s, not all the time. I like it cause I can do without having to shovel snow before going to work in the morning or the salt rusting the undercarriage of my cars.

Another thing I have to disagree with: Easy lifestyle? That's vague, but if you're saying there seems to be less of hustle and bustle lifestyle, I could agree. It's no NYC or Boston in terms of being so clustered and high level of pedestrian activity, but it's not slow either. It's ok.

Coming from up North, you'll realize that South Florida is not "Southern" in terms of culture, just geographically. There are plenty of transplants here. With an open mind, you can do fine. Liking or hating it is another story. You have to live here to know. Good Luck!!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:00 PM

29 posts, read 94,175 times
Default About to

Hi Raven,

I am in the process of moving this July. I went on an extended vaca this spring and loved the feel and space in Florida.

I am looking in the Miami/ Aventura/ Hollywood area.

Saving money first.. I'm aiming for 4 months of cash to get me by. I plan on getting a waitress job until I find something more permanent. There are lots of studios and small one bedrooms in that area of Florida for cheap, compared to North Jersey.

I'll try to remember to come back to this site in a few months when I'm settled in and I'll let you know how I like it. But my expectations are easy to meet.... sun, lush greenery, less congestion, and less winter.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 6,364 times
I moved from Ohio to S Florida in the mid '90's (for 3 years) then moved to Delaware/ Philly and now moved back. It is a culture shock, particularly with Hispanic / Haitian / Jamaican populations. When I moved here in the '90's the office I was in was owned by a very sweet Cuban couple but the majority of the office spoke Spanish primarily, so I dived in a started to learn, and it worked. If you are accepting of all races and cultures makes it much easier. Also speaking Spanish can move mountains.

Definitely you need to have a job established. If possible you should try to move with an employer that you had up north. Some Florida employers are very hesitant to hire northern workers if they don't have some tie to Florida (family in the area, etc). All too often the employer goes through an exhaustive search to find the right person only to lose them if a year or so because Florida isn't for them.

Would I move back to the north? I miss being able to jump on NJT and go to Broadway to see a show, but I appreciate it more when I visit and public transportation in general. But, I don't miss the cold an iota and the pace is not quite so "push, push, push". It's still a faster pace than the midwest, but not to the level of the northeast. I still go through the holiday blaahs (Christmas, Thanksgiving) so I normally take time during the winter for a few days to see the snow. I quickly return and appreciate the warmth.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:45 AM

28 posts, read 151,946 times
I moved from Jersey City to Sunrise in 2004 and I am still adjusting. It is a very different lifestyle. I am a teacher so I do have a great job and I make an alright salary. I have worked for the school system since I have been down here.

My sister on the other hand left her great corporate job to move down here and it is very difficult for her to find a decent job. She has worked many different places not making anymore than $12 an hour. She tells me that because FL is so transient the jobs are really shady. It's hard to make ends meet.

A job is not my issue. My issue is the people. The weather is so beautiful in the winter and no one ever comes out of their houses. I am used to seeing people out and having fun. I have no real friends down here and it is really hard to meet true people.

I have moved from apartment to apartment for the past 5 years because I can not afford to buy a house. A condo is an apartment so to me it does not count as a house. I have 2 children and I am single. The houses have no land and their backyards are very small.

I miss my friends from home and I miss my roots. I don't miss the cold weather at all. But NJ is always going to be home to me.

Florida is nothing like Jersey. You either like it or you don't. I am just passing through until the good lord tells where to go next. If it wasn't for my 13 year old daughter and my family that moved down here with me, I would have been gone from FL a long time ago.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 13,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklestoo View Post
I moved from Jersey City to Sunrise in 2004 and I am still adjusting. It is a very different lifestyle. I am a teacher so I do have a great job and I make an alright salary. I have worked for the school system since I have been down here.

My sister on the other hand left her great corporate job to move down here and it is very difficult for her to find a decent job. She has worked many different places not making anymore than $12 an hour. She tells me that because FL is so transient the jobs are really shady. It's hard to make ends meet.

A job is not my issue. My issue is the people. The weather is so beautiful in the winter and no one ever comes out of their houses. I am used to seeing people out and having fun. I have no real friends down here and it is really hard to meet true people.

I have moved from apartment to apartment for the past 5 years because I can not afford to buy a house. A condo is an apartment so to me it does not count as a house. I have 2 children and I am single. The houses have no land and their backyards are very small.

I miss my friends from home and I miss my roots. I don't miss the cold weather at all. But NJ is always going to be home to me.

Florida is nothing like Jersey. You either like it or you don't. I am just passing through until the good lord tells where to go next. If it wasn't for my 13 year old daughter and my family that moved down here with me, I would have been gone from FL a long time ago.

WOW I almost feel the same about everything you said there except for houses with no yards like anywhere you may go in the states you have cluttered cities with economical dwellings and areas with mansion type expanses. I too lived in jersey, union city to be exact and came to miami florida in the late 70's and I still have a hard time getting use to not seeing fall and winters like the ones from my home town, but I traveled quite extensively in florida over 20 years and I have never seen a property anywhere in north jersey with the type of land available that you will find here in florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area