Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:33 AM

3 posts, read 16,394 times

Advertisements

Hello,I'm trying to figure out if I should move to Weston or Miramar Fl.
Cypress Bay High in Weston is in a more upscale area and this school is an 'A' school but Miramar high is a "C' school but offers the IB program which is more advance. Cypress high does not offer his program.
I'm so confused, My son is an honor student presently and do not want to
mess him up.
Anyone knows about the IB program? Is it worth checking out?

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 07:43 AM

894 posts, read 4,348,998 times
I lived in Fla for 20+ years and not to far from either high school in Cooper City. I would have to say that Miramar High School is in an area that is not as desirable as Cypress Bay. I remember hearing all kinds of problems going on at Miramar. Not to say that Cypress doesn't have it's issues, but If I had a choice, it would definately be Cypress.

Good luck!

Old 05-08-2007, 08:08 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,188 times
I can't imagine Cypress Bay not having an advanced program. I would check that out with the school. They do have a National Honor Society there. I have heard about major overcrowding issues with Cypress Bay. Regarding Miramar High, I would not send my children to that school. While, there is no perfect school, Miramar High is in a semi-depressed area and I believe is predominently Black (forgive me). But many Magnet-type schools are not in the greatest of areas, but do have some fabulous offerings. It can be a hard choice. You would have to see both schools in person to get a better view of what they have to offer and a sense of campus-life. I would personally send my kids to Cypress Bay.

Here is the link to Cypress Bay... http://www.cypressbayhighschool.com/
(freshman orientation sign-ups by May 21st)

Here is the link to Miramar high...http://www.broward.k12.fl.us/miramarhigh/

Good luck,

Laura

Old 05-08-2007, 10:15 AM

286 posts, read 1,082,049 times
I agree with Lauralei2.
My vote is with Cypress Bay. I did a lot of research and it was either that school or Palmetto Senior, both of which are A schools.
In the end we decided on Palmetto as it would be closer to my work.
I was not looking forward to commuting all the way from Weston, Miami traffic being what it is.
I have also heard comments about the crime/shootings in Miramar.
Another great school is Coral Reef in South Miami. Have you considered it as well.
Induhvidual
ps I will be moving to Miami in June, thanks all CD members that gave me so much valuable info. See you there---

Old 05-08-2007, 10:22 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
Coral Reef High School does not serve the surrounding neighborhoods, but instead takes applications from middle school students all over the county as it is a Charter/Magnet School. Selection is done via a lottery system for all magnet programs except for Visual & Performing Arts, for which acceptance is based ability; students must audition for this program. Students living around the Coral Reef area attend Miami Palmetto Senior High School or Miami Killian Senior High School.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:21 PM

159 posts, read 803,770 times
Definitely Weston.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:31 PM

7 posts, read 30,834 times
Smile Cypress Bay High or Miramar High

I definitely have to agree with everyone else and say Cypress Bay in Weston. I live in Weston and my daughter attends Cypress. The school is large (about 5,300) but makes up for it with quality teachers, environment and an extensive curriculum. I would have to say the size of it reminds me of what it would be like to send your child to a small junior college. If your child is coming from a very small school it might be a little intimidating at first. One thing that's good is that the freshmen class is on a separate campus in Weston called the Annex. The reason for this is because of crowding, however a lot of parents with incoming freshmen like this because it eases the kids into attending such a large high school. I personally liked having my daughter separated from the older classmen. There is a big maturity difference from freshmen to senior kids. One exception to this is if your freshman student takes a class that is not offered at the Annex then they have to take the bus over to the main campus. My daughter had to do this when she took Latin as a freshman, but it was no big deal. It's all organized and scheduled very well. Also, if they have to go to meetings, practices, etc they are bussed over for that as well.

40 schools in Florida offer the IB program and I am almost positive Cypress Bay is not one of them, but double check with them to be sure. Cypress does offer a large amount of advanced classes and curriculums to prepare any student for university.

On another note, if your looking to buy a house, in my opinion Weston is definitely the nicer area. It is almost completely residential and hardly any traffic ! There are some trendy stores, eateries, and a nice town center. The town is very pristine and the landscaping throughout the town is beautiful. Good luck !

Old 05-08-2007, 08:55 PM

Thank you all,I appreciate all of the information. I will call cypress bay and inquire about the AP program. I want to make sure that my son is challenged and prepared for university.
Thanks Again

Old 05-08-2007, 09:24 PM

oh! Coral reef is an "A" school and they offer the IB program too!
I'm so excited, I'll call this school also tomorrow.
Thank You All.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:07 AM

286 posts, read 1,082,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEBECFLORIDA1971 View Post
oh! Coral reef is an "A" school and they offer the IB program too!
I'm so excited, I'll call this school also tomorrow.
Thank You All.
Last year (May 8th 2006) Newsweek did a report on the top 100 America's best schools. (you can probably access the archives online)
Coral Reef was #29, and yes, it is a magnet school.
Applications are accepted this October thru Jan 2008 for the next school year.
Here is the link, good luck

http://coralreef.dadeschools.net/portal/wps/aboutcrhs/admissions.htm (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area