Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:40 PM

103 posts, read 461,582 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is a bit forward, but I've just been offered a job to work in downtown Miami. It's the culmination of many years of trying, but I finally landed the job I wanted. And while I'm not exactly crazy about the idea of picking up and leaving from a community in which I'm very comfortable (near Washington, DC), I can sense a lot of positive opportunities from living in South Florida.

Here's what we'd like to have, and I would ask that all of you who are familiar with the area tell me where we should look or if we're being completely unrealistic:

As mentioned, my work is in downtown Miami. I've been told that Broward County is a good place to live for families. The price range I'm looking at is $300k to $450k. I'm looking for a minimum of 4 bedrooms and 2 baths. I would like some land, but it's not a deal breaker. However, from what I've seen on Realtor.com, I could get a 1/2 acre + for the price range I'm looking at.

I'm willing to commute up to 1 hour away. 45 minutes in DC is nothing. I plan on leaving from home at 6:30 AM.

Some of the communities we've seen that we've liked have been Pembroke Pines, Miramar, Southwest Ranches, etc.

We don't mind the old school ranch style homes. In fact, we kind of like them as long as they come with sufficient land.

Anyway, if anyone can recommend some good areas to live, please let me know. I have 2 kids now and am willing to trade a short trip to the Target or Wal-Mart for some land and privacy for my family.

Much obliged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 08:52 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,815,406 times
Southwest Ranches,parts of Davie (Flamingo Rd area), and Country Club Ranches in Miramar. Surprised you liked Pembroke Pines which is generally small plots.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:55 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,022,572 times
stay away from MIRAMAR whatever you do. Southwest ranches like compelled said. Peepee pines does not have much opportunity as far as land goes. You will like southwest ranches very much.

welcome to South Florida

Old 10-18-2009, 05:23 AM

Now that I've looked a bit more, Davie and Southwest Ranches seem like what we're looking for.

A couple of extra questions:

What about Cooper City? What's it's reputation?

As someone who sweats A LOT, is a home swimming pool pretty much essential to living in South Florida?

From Google Maps, it looks like the commute from these areas is about 35 minutes to downtown Miami. Is that correct or wildly optimistic?

Much obliged.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:36 AM

Your talking about 1 hour each way depending on traffic. Cooper City also has an excellent reputation and is often considered a "hidden gem" in Broward County. I just can't think of any 1/2 acre lots in Cooper City. West Davie is also very nice and is extremely convenient as far as highway access goes since it's in the southeast corner of 595 and I-75...perfect for commuting. I live in West Davie by the way and love it.

Pleasure is mine.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:23 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,434,589 times
I would stick with southern Broward County like Cooper City, Southwest Ranches, Pembroke Pines, and Davie. Avoid Miramar. The commute from Southwest Ranches in rush hour is closer to 1.5 hours. Davie might be a little easier to commute to/from. I would not rule out Plantation, which is a little further to the north of Davie, but is easy access to 595, FL Turnpike, and 95.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:49 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,815,406 times
Again, there is nothing wrong with Miramar that isn't wrong with Plantation, Country Club Ranches should by no means be "avoided" and you can pick up acreage there with a shorter commute and better middle and high schools. You will see people jogging on Miramar Parkway at night alone right on the other side of the neighborhood, and I'm sure not all of them are going to get mugged. Still, the top choices should be SW Ranches and Davie, which have schools that are better yet and are less prone to property crime. Not as busy once you leave the "ranch" areas, as well, and because the supply is large some of the homes are affordable. I wouldn't look any further, and definitely not at Pembroke Pines. There are also pockets of Cooper City here and there where you might find half acre lots, and the quality of the neighborhood is tops. Keep in mind that in all of these areas, the land would probably come with one of those "old school ranch houses", however. The commute from SW Ranches or Davie is also closer to 45 minutes than 1.5 hours, but could take up to an hour and 15 minutes if there are accidents. So on average, an hour. A possible way to go instead of taking 75/Palmetto/Dolphin is to take Griffin Rd to the turnpike and head south from there, the ride down Griffin is not as bad as it sounds and 95 moves better than the Dolphin/Palmetto through Miami, ESPECIALLY if you take I-95 express in the afternoon, also they are soon opening I-95 express southbound as well.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 10-18-2009 at 10:06 AM..

Old 10-18-2009, 09:50 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,060,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_astro View Post
Now that I've looked a bit more, Davie and Southwest Ranches seem like what we're looking for.

A couple of extra questions:

What about Cooper City? What's it's reputation?

As someone who sweats A LOT, is a home swimming pool pretty much essential to living in South Florida?

From Google Maps, it looks like the commute from these areas is about 35 minutes to downtown Miami. Is that correct or wildly optimistic?

Much obliged.
Cooper City is excellent a clean , safe community with good schools and parks as well as some upscale areas with nice homes and yes a sense of community and friendly people . It is along with Parkland , Davie and Weston among my favorite communities in Broward .

Old 10-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Thanks to all for this great information. A lot to think about for sure.

I've been looking obsessively on Realtor.com and found a beautiful ranch out in Plantation with almost an acre of land. Definitely what I'm looking for, though we need to sell our house here in Fairfax first.

Can I assume that Plantation would be about an hour to Miami as well?

Also, here's a thought - DC seems to have a big commuter culture. We have Metro, and it's not unusual for people to get up at 4AM in order to beat the traffic into the city.

Is it any advantage if I were to leave my house in, say, Davie or Southwest Ranches or Plantation, around 6:30 in the morning? Would that help knock some time off my commute? That's what time I'm used to leaving at here in NOVA. Thanks again.

J.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:56 PM

Of course. Sometimes as little as 1/2 hour can make a HUGE difference in traffic congestion or the lack of it. Plantation is nice, Plantation Acres is divine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area