Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,704 times

Advertisements

I would love to move to Florida from Ohio, but my husband says that being that close to the ocean for him he may feel his aches and pains in his knees. I personally think that its diet related and stress that he feels pains anyway. Can anyone tell me about their experience in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 10:21 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
Everyone's experience is different. If you have aches and pains now, they probably won't get any better moving to a high humidity climate which is what we have in south Florida. Diet may play into that to a degree. I can assure you that there are a great many arthritus sufferers down here.

The benefits of living in a sub-tropical climate is that you can remain outdoors and active year round which is not the case in northern climates.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:55 AM

157 posts, read 487,718 times
My father had arthritis. He loved the beach and he would take us kids with him. He enjoyed swimming or just wallowing in the warm, salt water. He felt the salt water was soothing. He said it was great to get off his feet and float around on his back. After we all came back from the beach, he looked happy and perky. When ever my dad was cross at us, we suggest going to the beach. We knew that would make him happy.
The closer to the ocean the more moderate is the weather, because the gulfstream is near the coast and the gulfstream breeze makes it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:12 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
That's funny because I think the heat/humidity actually helps people with aches and pains. Every time I go into a colder/dryer climate I feel every ache and pain in my body. Maybe I'm just not used to it, but I feel like the cold air shrivels up your body and makes you feel miserable. The hot/humid air tends to loosen up your muscles.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:04 PM

I agree with Nolefan34.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:11 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
It depends on what the pain is from and also on the person. I have nerve conditions and cold for me equals back to crying pain. It is not a fluke. My friend who also has nerve pain but different gets so stiff in the heat/humidity. I used to be able to tell you when it would rain by the pins and needles feelings. I think as someone who has moved a lot through my conditions and also traveled for hospitals to other states it is key to spend a good month and see how your body responds. For ex FL summer is very different then winter so if he does better in the summer he will do good probably in the winter. All things contribute to pain though for me weather is huge one but I am finally on a good combo of meds to help so that is another factor. Things like diet,activity etc also contribute. Along with stress and anxiety. If I can help in any way I am here. Also one last thing just moving is not always the solution it can help but getting the right treatment is key as well.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:18 AM

Hi DaniellaG, I have a peripheral neuropathy of unknown etymology. The doctors don`t know why my right foot, right knee,right hip,right hand are numb and in pain. Any advice or referrals you could DM to me? I`d like to know about your situation and how you resolved it by DM.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:39 PM

I will email you. Oh don't get me wrong I am still in very high pain but before I could barely walk for months from my pain and now I am able. One day at a time and trying to be hopeful. Some days are better then others with that.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:04 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwings2 View Post
I would love to move to Florida from Ohio, but my husband says that being that close to the ocean for him he may feel his aches and pains in his knees. I personally think that its diet related and stress that he feels pains anyway. Can anyone tell me about their experience in this area.
Who knows...

I never lived up north as an adult but the 2 or 4 weeks or cold weather we get are here a living hell for me. The air conditioner at home also bother me when it's set too low and the one in my car I can't stand at all.

Also sometimes when the humidity level is too high I can feel it too(it reminds me of the 'Golden Girls" ), I don't think it's as bad as the cold weather though... for me.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:23 PM

Prince you sound hypersensitive like I am. When the wind blows it goes right to my pain area. Some days I can't tolerate a sock. I forgot to mention to the original poster and moves sometimes it takes time for a body to adjust and changes regardless of good or bad in weather can cause flares. Something with the pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area