Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:34 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times

Advertisements

One word answer - Yes. The sports, drama and fine arts programs (not to shortchange academics AT ALL) are the best reasons to have kids attend Heritage....you can always find a magnet school for a single area, but Heritage has them all covered.

Will you pay extra? My kids were active in drama till high school and there were never any extra fees other than Drama Camp in the summer (which they loved). We did pay a lab fee for my daughter's photography classes - $175 (she was able to take SEVEN), but it paid off in the end with her acceptance into a highly competitive biomedical photography program at RIT.

Momma Bear who also has kids at Heritage and are very active in sports can answer that question better than me for sure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 11:43 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
There are costs associated with the sports programs.

Usually you have to buy team apparel for each team. When the wrestling team travels to places like Naples for 2 day tournaments there is not a budget for a hotel. Sometimes the kids finish on Friday at 9 and have to weigh in the next morning at 8 in Naples so it is not practical to travel back to school and then meet the bus at school early enough in the morning to get there for an 8 AM weigh in. The parents wind up paying for that.

Football does a few fundraisers also.

I wouldn't move a 1st grader for sports.

Old 10-07-2022, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 1,012 times
which school is better academically, socio-emotional American Heritage or Pinecrest? How are the students in each of them? Do you have a lot of bullying or do you respect friends from different socioeconomic, racial, etc. Can you help me? What is the difference between an A grade public school and a private school? Are all extracurricular activities like arts, sports, music included in tuition or are they paid separately? I come from Brazil and the teaching system is different? I would like to learn how it works around here. My daughter attends an A - 4th grade public school on the advanced learn (gifted program), but we are considering Pinecrest and American Heritage for her to study. What you can share your experiences would help me a lot thank you!!!

Old 10-08-2022, 06:51 AM

835 posts, read 476,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My friend pulled her daughter out of NBP after two years. She didn't like the overall emphasis on material possessions that her daughter developed. Each kid is different, but her daughter quickly fell into the group where it was all about what you wore, drove, etc.
The above post was written in 2009, but it has still holds true today for schools like North Broward Prep, Pinecrest School, Westminister Academy, and the like. The instructional quality is good, but it comes at a social price.

Old 10-08-2022, 06:54 AM

835 posts, read 476,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy Bear View Post
which school is better academically, socio-emotional American Heritage or Pinecrest? How are the students in each of them? Do you have a lot of bullying or do you respect friends from different socioeconomic, racial, etc. Can you help me? What is the difference between an A grade public school and a private school? Are all extracurricular activities like arts, sports, music included in tuition or are they paid separately? I come from Brazil and the teaching system is different? I would like to learn how it works around here. My daughter attends an A - 4th grade public school on the advanced learn (gifted program), but we are considering Pinecrest and American Heritage for her to study. What you can share your experiences would help me a lot thank you!!!
I think you may be in for a bit of sticker shock by the way you’re speaking, none of the above mentioned schools are remotely cheap in regards to tuition, not that the poster said that, but it’s not uncommon for the “elite” private schools in south Florida to run you $15,000-$27,000 a year.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:55 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy Bear View Post
Welcome to South Florida, no stranger to inflation. Is money no object? Cost of grades 1-5 is $33000 a year at Pinecrest.

https://www.pinecrest.edu/admissions...ition-and-fees

Cost of American Heritage is comparable. It’s $32,500 a year for grades 1-5.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FrHUU6Xi91PiQF

Both schools have stellar reputations. Good luck with your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area