U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 05:44 PM

3 posts, read 10,310 times

Advertisements

I'm 24 and ideally, I would like to be able to live in a house/cottage/condo in a downtown area where I could at least walk to the grocery store and Walgreens and bars, restaurants, and cultural events. By walkable, I mean less than 20 minutes and not through any overly dangerous areas.

Victoria Park seems really nice, as well as Colee Hammock. I've seen that a lot of posters say that Sailboat Bend is pretty dicey in some parts.

Basically, I'm wondering if these areas would make sense to move to or if it would be too dangerous since I plan to live alone and would like to be able to get around on foot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 10:46 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,308,088 times
I don't know much about downtown FLL itself, but Hollywood has a nice, walkable downtown with some newer high-rise condos. Bike lanes to the beach along Hollywood Blvd also.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:39 AM

6,993 posts, read 15,948,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg03002 View Post
I'm 24 and ideally, I would like to be able to live in a house/cottage/condo in a downtown area where I could at least walk to the grocery store and Walgreens and bars, restaurants, and cultural events. By walkable, I mean less than 20 minutes and not through any overly dangerous areas.

Victoria Park seems really nice, as well as Colee Hammock. I've seen that a lot of posters say that Sailboat Bend is pretty dicey in some parts.

Basically, I'm wondering if these areas would make sense to move to or if it would be too dangerous since I plan to live alone and would like to be able to get around on foot.
I live downtown so let me take a crack at this

Flagler village which is the area where the city hall is (this is north of Broward Blvd). You have a grocery store just a few blocks north on the east side of federal and a gym there. You can get to the grocery in 10 to 20 minutes on foot. You also have a CVS and Einstein Bagel. Depending on where you live thats a 5 to 10 minute walk. Also to get to Las Olas its about 10 minutes from Flagler on foot depending on where you are. Place is pretty nice. There is a abundance of homeless near the bus station in that area on the days the community groups bring food out for them. But they dont generally bother anyone. They are generally concentrated on the south west side of flagler village.

Sailboat Bend not bad, has a police station there. Government housing projects in that area, but over all not to bad. Would rank it below flagler though. The buildings in S.B. are much older for the most part than Flagler so you won't get the same amenities. But you can still walk downtown, would have a further walk to a grocery than you would in flagler though. I would say maybe 20 to 30 minute walk. 20 minute walk to Las Olas. You have a walgreens in this area and a burger king right across the street as well.

Colee hammock, quiet, older buildings, little bit further walk to the grocery BUT your right off of las olas and a 10 minute walk to the beach. Also mostly older buildings. One was renovated recently.

Victoria Park not bad, north side has a decent sized homosexual community. South Side, less so. Can walk to the grocery a little faster than you could from Colee Hammock. Also there is a HUGE park over there on the N. Side where people go play soccer and what not. So not a bad choice either depending on what you are looking for. Also they have a nice green space along the inter-coastal waterway in there as well. Nice spot to chill/hangout. The buildings here range from old to new so you have a nice pick.

Downtown Fort Lauderdale itself has some newer buildings. A little bit more lively. There is a "park" if you want to call it that downtown on Las Olas, actually one on Las Olas and then one just south of it on the river. Both are nothing more than just open field of grass with some benches. You would be able to walk to the shops on Las Olas, and depending on where you are you could walk to the grocery on Andrews in downtown. That area on a Sunday where the Publix is a a bit deserted though and the bums take up real-estate on the bus benches. They don't seem to bother anyone but you never know. Some of them are a bit nuts (as are many homeless).

Then there is riverside and tarpin river. They are more along the lines of Sailboat bend and they are the communities just south of the new river which separates Sailboat bend from these two communities. If you are in riverside you could walk to the publix downtown a bit quicker than you could from Sailboat Bend. Also the apartments are older and you would probably be stuck renting a home or duplex. No big deal but if they get foreclosed on then you have to vacate once your lease is up or 90 days after the new owner decides they want to move in. So thats something to think about. Happened to a friend of mine.

There is also rio vista which is south of the new river and east of federal. they have mostly older buildings and further south in rio vista you have a few newer buildings. On the South Side of rio vista is a publix and a bunch of other shops you can walk to if you live on the south side. But that would mean a bit longer walk to downtown fort lauderdale. You are young so you probably don't have kids but if you stay there I think the elementary school back up in there is a A school.

Lastly there is Wilton Manors and there is a area just east of wilton manors. I don't know the name of it but they have some places to rent. It is just behind the publix on Sunrise across from Victoria Park. My friend likes it but he said the rents are way to high given the quality of the area. Also there is this HUGE brand new, 60% empty apartment complex on Sunrise in this area I am talking about. You might be able to catch a deal there as well. You can walk to the publix on Sunrise from this place.

None of the above mentioned places are really dangerous mind you. I see women jogging along dimly lit streets downtown and the surrounding areas all the time. Some nut job could decide to harm them but given the cops are out patrolling ALL the time I don't think that would go over so well. I would still rather see beat cops or cops on horse back. Let them get the know the people in the neighborhoods and vice versa. But still Ft Lauderdale PD does a decent job.

I don't come here much so if you have any questions feel free to send me a DM.

Happy hunting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area