Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I agree with Nikki, I am a FL native, born in S FL. Still have family there. I have spent a lot of time in Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, etc... and have found folks in S FL to be far more rude. Perhaps if you're from NY (just guessing), it may not seem that way b/c you are used to it. Go to NC, TN, etc... other places throughout the South (the REAL south), even north FL and you'll see a BIG difference.
I am not disputing that what you say is true. What I would like is a specific example of what you are talking about. For example the OP asked about objective statements on the job/housing markets. I gave her examples:

The unemployment rate is over 11%. That is an example of how things are bad.

So HOW are people more rude here than anywhere else? I have been many places in my life and have encountered nice and rude people in most places. Can you give me an example of how people are more rude here than anywhere else? I am not saying you are wrong, I would just like a specific example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Wow I agree with you again ... yes there is a noticeable difference in how people act and comport themselves in South and North Florida .. although I like many aspects of South Florida , you do feel like you are in a different state as soon as you get past the Ocala area and everywhere north , east or west of there is very southern and for the most part very friendly ... I particularly like that you do get some semblance of the four seasons in North Florida ... I have seen leaves change color in Jacksonville , Gainesville and our capital and have been in 30 degree weather in Jan / Feb up there many times .
How are people different? What do they do?

Old 12-15-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Chelsa - there is no nice way to say it - in SFL people are rude, self-centered and selfish. Its difficult to articulate - but spend just an hour shopping in a mall; 1/2 hour trying to find a parking space and an hour driving on any of the major roads and you will know EXACTLY what I mean. Its insane and once you arent aggravated by it - its actually quite comical. If you come to SFL - in short order you too will have to be curt and selfish - if only to survive.
What did you actually experience that was rude? Again, I don't dispute that people are rude, but people on this board are very big on general statements like "people are rude, self-centered and selfish" without giving specific examples.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:08 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What did you actually experience that was rude? Again, I don't dispute that people are rude, but people on this board are very big on general statements like "people are rude, self-centered and selfish" without giving specific examples.

Lets see:
  • in line at the deli at Publix - you are waiting with your number - the deli assistant mistakenly looks at someone else - either you get someone loudly interrupting or cutting in line ahead of those waiting;
  • At the mall - waiting on a parking space and permitting someone to back out - I cannot tell you how many times people on the other side - seeing me waiting with my indicator on have pulled in - and looked at me like - whatever;
  • getting assistance from anyone in "customer service" - you get a yea, no hello - no how may I help you;
  • at the airport coming back from a recent trip I was almost run over by a cab driver crossing the street;
  • pull into Pembroke Gardens and watch how many people double park - seemingly oblivious to the people who they are blocking to speak with friends; let people out etc.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:11 PM

Oh yeah and get on 826/836 and try to put your indicator on to switch lanes - good luck with that!
I was at a party and attempting to explan this phenomena to someone from the MidWest who looked at me and said "but they have to let you in - its the law."
Uh huh.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:49 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Lets see:
  • in line at the deli at Publix - you are waiting with your number - the deli assistant mistakenly looks at someone else - either you get someone loudly interrupting or cutting in line ahead of those waiting;
  • At the mall - waiting on a parking space and permitting someone to back out - I cannot tell you how many times people on the other side - seeing me waiting with my indicator on have pulled in - and looked at me like - whatever;
  • getting assistance from anyone in "customer service" - you get a yea, no hello - no how may I help you;
  • at the airport coming back from a recent trip I was almost run over by a cab driver crossing the street;
  • pull into Pembroke Gardens and watch how many people double park - seemingly oblivious to the people who they are blocking to speak with friends; let people out etc.
Stillthesame, although this is all examples of rudeness, but you will see this EVERYWHERE. Honestly. I don't know, maybe I'm just used to seeing double-parked cars in Brooklyn, but these examples are very mild in comparison.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:01 PM

259 posts, read 840,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I am not disputing that what you say is true. What I would like is a specific example of what you are talking about. For example the OP asked about objective statements on the job/housing markets. I gave her examples:

The unemployment rate is over 11%. That is an example of how things are bad.

So HOW are people more rude here than anywhere else? I have been many places in my life and have encountered nice and rude people in most places. Can you give me an example of how people are more rude here than anywhere else? I am not saying you are wrong, I would just like a specific example.
I would have to say that on a daily basis I probably encounter at least 1 rude person/event per day. It usually begins with the sh*ty drivers on the way to work and ends with some sort of awkward impolite behavior like someone bumping into me without saying excuse me, a stealing of a parking space, a non greeting at a cash register, a really snooty rich person, a general a**hole, and now that's it's Christmas the rudeness is even worse. It's a daily grinding type of atmosphere and anything goes down here. I understand what you are saying about there being rude people everywhere and yes I actually agree with that. And honestly, maybe it's just me, who knows? I also do understand that in other countries outside of America, this attitude may seem very mild. BUT in comparison to the rest of the US, it seems like the rudeness/aggression/take advantage type of attitude is just VERY concentrated down here (except for maybe in NYC). It's very agitating and it makes you wonder where in the hell that attitude comes from. Unfortunately, it's so noticeable that it outshines the normal/nice people.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:07 PM

Max's mama - I agree there are rude people everywhere, but:
1. Someone asked for examples - I gave them. I havent lived in SFl for almost a year and it took me 2 minutes to think of examples. Those were without any effort of thought whatsover. Just another afternoon in SFL; and
2. With all due respect - comparing SFL to Brooklyn as a barometer of rudeness isnt exactly representative of the norm. Or perhaps it is - for SFl.

SFL works for some and its an amazingly beautiful place - but generally the people are rude, self centered and inconsiderate.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Hey guys - how about meeting half way - let's say that the people in the northern parts of Florida are FRIENDLIER. This way it allows the opinion of nice in SFL as well. I think what one person's interpretation of rude is differs from anothers. Kind of like beauty in the eye of the beholder deal. for instance, I may think someone is an ass for playing music so loud that you can hear it 4 blocks over, but I don't necessarily think it is rude, as I don't think they are intentionally trying to bug people. They just like to hear their music really loud. I wouldn't necessarily think that someone who doesn't speak english is being rude, but not saying thank you or what ever the conversation calls for, because they don't know the language, I would be a little annoyed that they can't communicate, but don't think that I would perceive them as rude. Anyway, I think you get my point. What one sees as rude another may not. Obviously, there are something that are just across the board rude, but there are some things people can blow a little bit out of proportion. IMHO.

I know what you're saying, and you being from NYC, I think you'll be fine in S FL. You're already used it. My point is, or what I cant seem to grasp, is why deal with that kind of crap? All those things I highlighted above are definitely things you have to consider when moving to S FL, so my point of view is, why even bother? I'd much rather go elsewhere where I can at least decrease the chances of that BS happening. To me, warm weather just isnt worth it, but to a lot of people, I guess it is.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Com is it fair to say that he was completely rude for asking that question?

I'm sorry, what question are you referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area