Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:34 AM

2,763 posts, read 6,736,695 times

Advertisements

Good morning guys, I haven't been around in a while and see that not much has changed. I got an email from my sister-n-law this morning saying that the job market is picking up and when am I moving. So, of course I come to city data, to see what is going on out there and it is the same stuff still!

I value everyone's opinion, but a valid opinion. Why is it that people feel it necessary to put such a sour spin on everything. Yes, I completely understand that you may think that the rude outnumber the nice, but seriously there has to be some good along with bad. I feel like there is only one extreme. Either really nice or really rude. The nice has to be overly nice to compensate for those who hate the place people are questioning.

Can I have objective answers on the job market and housing market there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 01:14 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,757,818 times
There are some amazing housing deals - the job market depends on your industry and your profession - but generally is pretty bleak.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:18 PM

Thanks Still - I figured as much - this really frustrating! I wish I could make my bills disappear - LOL.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:26 AM

245 posts, read 1,167,839 times
i believe there is rudeness wherever you go, so that's not a major problem for me. The only major problem for me would be is the cost of living here and the schools. It's good to see you back on the board

Old 12-09-2009, 09:01 AM

330 posts, read 1,081,404 times
I always wonder myself, is it rudeness or reality??

I know the three times I have been to florida in the past year it always looks like a thriving economy from a tourists point of view, but that has nothing to do with the job market.

I am sure the comments on here have saved some people from making a big mistake, but they have also kept some people from realizing there dreams.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:14 AM

I agree DNC - I think the whole premise of this forum is a great idea if, and only if, you can give an objective opinion. For instance, I really dislike the place I spent my teenage years (a small town in MD). But I only disliked it as an adult - I loved it as a kid and had I continued my life there I'm sure I would have learned to deal with it. Life is what you make of it anywhere you live, if you are miserable in Florida, chances are you will be miserable in the next state you pick to live. Once I realized I couldn't pick up and move to move to Florida, I searched for the best in what I had available to me in NYC. Doesn't mean my opinion has changed about either place. I still think that there are more things for kids to do in Florida and I still think that it is way too expensive to live here and be normal, but I also still think that Florida wants to pay piddlins for good work. I just have to find my way. I enjoy small town suburbia so, personally, I believe I will like florida a lot - I will have to adjust to the heat, but I'll take that over the cold weather. I will miss my Falls and Springs, but I will get over that eventually. So, you see, I see the negatives too - just to say that Florida is the worst is just too much for me!

Old 12-09-2009, 03:17 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,822,565 times
I would think the housing market would be good for a buyer right now. Not ure about the job market, but I would probably suspect that it is mediocre, at best, for now. It will turn around its just a matter of time. What profession are you in again Chelsa?

Old 12-09-2009, 04:04 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,157,141 times
In my area, the job market seems to be nonexistent. Housing is starting to get back to realistic prices but insurance is still costly and will get costlier if this deregulation legislation passes ( I predict it will).
I don't agree that if you're miserable in Florida you'll be miserable elsewhere-Florida is unique in many, many ways and I've found that if your not comfortable with it's uniqueness (weather, politics, choices of careers and compensation) , you won't be happy here. For example, I loathe hot, humid weather-always have and always will. I've stayed here all these years because of family and a pretty good job, but in a few years I can retire and will. I've spent some time in the Pacific Northwest (born there, actually) and find the weather and lifestyle WAY more to my liking and I'll return there.
But, I know many people who think Florida's a paradise-they either overlook Florida's foibles or they love the state because of them. Good for them. Seriously.
To say that if your miserable in Florida then you'll be miserable elsewhere is incorrect. I think someone is nuts to stay in a place they don't like.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:07 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,330,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Good morning guys, I haven't been around in a while and see that not much has changed. I got an email from my sister-n-law this morning saying that the job market is picking up and when am I moving. So, of course I come to city data, to see what is going on out there and it is the same stuff still!

I value everyone's opinion, but a valid opinion. Why is it that people feel it necessary to put such a sour spin on everything. Yes, I completely understand that you may think that the rude outnumber the nice, but seriously there has to be some good along with bad. I feel like there is only one extreme. Either really nice or really rude. The nice has to be overly nice to compensate for those who hate the place people are questioning.

Can I have objective answers on the job market and housing market there?

I can put you in touch with a great real estate agent here in Weston and she can send you some houses just so you can get a general idea. In her opinion, this is an excellent time to buy, and next year there will be even more foreclosures. I was just looking at a such a cute house in Country Isles in Weston for 200K. A nice backyard with a pool, 3 bedrooms, not a big house, but very cozy and cute.

It is true that the job market is still bleek, I found a part-time job in a field that has nothing to do with my profession. Time-share and resort business is big here. So there are jobs availabe in the vacation business. Also, keep in mind that Florida is very "seasonal". For example, it's easier to find a job during the "busy" season that starts from Christmas and lasts until about June, especially in sales. In a summer, sales and vacation business is dead.

The weather...well, as a former New Yorker, I love the weather here. I moved in august and it was bloody HOT, but I didn't mind. Today, it was 85 degress, clear blue sky, sunny and most days are sunny here.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,757,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
I always wonder myself, is it rudeness or reality??
Its rudeness. That's the reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area