U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:26 AM

245 posts, read 1,132,698 times

Advertisements

Where U.S. Homes Are Most Overpriced - Yahoo! Real Estate

not surprised at all. Any thoughts?
Wow and people still want to come to South Florida.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 12:14 PM

157 posts, read 462,921 times
Interesting. I wonder what the median price of my home is? I`m assuming that is the price it will most likely sell for and not what I would like it to sell for.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:28 PM

8,963 posts, read 7,972,196 times
^^^ Try "zillow.com" if you're curious what you're home could sell for...

Old 12-16-2009, 12:46 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,042,023 times
Why am I not surprised?

With homes still overpriced (imho), high insurance rates, high property taxes, and low job prospects (also a non-diverse economy), I too, wonder why the demographics I listed below would want to move here?

* Young families (people just starting out w/kids and their professions)
* College grads/trying to establish themselves
* Retirees (not speaking of well off Canadian snow birds)
* People who are underpaid in professions down here, (that could do better elsewhere).

Homes on zillow.com don't seem to pop up on other sites, for the price ranges I put. I also see many of those are short sales. Those are PITA's for most. I know a few people that gave up on short sales. Too many issues with the banks.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:51 AM

2,113 posts, read 4,826,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
Where U.S. Homes Are Most Overpriced - Yahoo! Real Estate

not surprised at all. Any thoughts?
Wow and people still want to come to South Florida.
This is really old news .... who did not know this ?

Old 12-19-2009, 12:43 PM

3,911 posts, read 8,922,817 times
I fall into the category of "young people trying to establish themselves". I can tell you that despite the disadvantages mentioned, South FL is just a really attractive place for young people to move. There are tons of young people down here, and there are tons of things for young people to do. The weather is warm and it is just more fun to live here than other places. For instance, people on this board always rave about Raleigh, NC. I have been to Raleigh and it is beautiful. But I would much rather live down here. It just comes down to entertainment, the beach, and things to do. I am willing to live at a higher cost of living to enjoy such luxuries.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:30 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,042,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I fall into the category of "young people trying to establish themselves". I can tell you that despite the disadvantages mentioned, South FL is just a really attractive place for young people to move. There are tons of young people down here, and there are tons of things for young people to do. The weather is warm and it is just more fun to live here than other places. For instance, people on this board always rave about Raleigh, NC. I have been to Raleigh and it is beautiful. But I would much rather live down here. It just comes down to entertainment, the beach, and things to do. I am willing to live at a higher cost of living to enjoy such luxuries.

Speak for yourself. I'll agree that the weather makes it attractive for some to live here, but many young professionals opt for other cities when you compare cost of living, especially when establishing families.
And entertainment is a subjective thing. Some people will rave over the beach, others rave over Broadway (or many things to do in Manhattan), while others raves over activities for them and their kids.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:10 PM

17,288 posts, read 28,054,770 times
Wow, people still not comprehending the difference between "overpriced homes" and actual home sales?

People ARE buying homes up like crazy in South Florida right now.... WHEN THE HOMES ARE PRICED RIGHT! Meaning that just because homes are LISTED for high prices, does NOT mean that the houses SELL for that much. Let people list their condos for a million dollars. Right now, the housing market is ripe for the picking for qualified buyers, and new buyers.

I know at least four young professionals/couples that have bought in the past couple years, now that prices have come down. One couple from NY (our firm is about 1/4th NY transplants), one couple from elsewhere in Florida, and two that grew up in the general area.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 AM

8,963 posts, read 7,972,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Speak for yourself. I'll agree that the weather makes it attractive for some to live here, but many young professionals opt for other cities when you compare cost of living, especially when establishing families.
And entertainment is a subjective thing. Some people will rave over the beach, others rave over Broadway (or many things to do in Manhattan), while others raves over activities for them and their kids.

I was thinking the SAME thing. Many young professionals actually leave S FL for a place like Raleigh, especially when they want to start a family. Its unreal the amount of Floridians I've met in NC. Have good friends in Raleigh and they really like it. Now for me, although I like Raleigh and it's a nice place to live, I'd rather be in the mountains, but for people looking to leave S FL, Raleigh is an excellent option.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:59 AM

3,911 posts, read 8,922,817 times
It also depends on what your meaning of "young professional" is. I am specifically referring to young people in their 20's. And the fact is that most young people love South FL, despite the cost of living. In fact, the cost of living has gone way done the past 2 years here. You can actually rent places that are nice for about 800-900 bucks.

The weather is a big part, as is the beach. But South FL is just a cool place for younger people to live. It is cooler than Raleigh, NC. Hard to believe, right? But I guess you cannot win on this board with so many negative posters. Yes there are problems in S. FL, and yes the cost of living is higher than Raleigh or other places. But it is not as expensive as NY or Cali, not even close.

And there is a reason why the prices got so high to begin with. South FL was a very desireable place to live! That is why so many people wanted to move here! You people complaining are the same ones who wanted to move here en mass when the real estate bubble began. Now you'll tell everyone to move to Raleigh, NC and the same thing will happen there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area