Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:43 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times

Advertisements

this is out of 100 school rankings

No. 15: Design and Architecture Senior High School, Miami
No. 57: Alexander W. Dreyfoos Jr. School of the Arts, West Palm Beach
No. 60: Suncoast Community High School, Riviera Beach
No. 66: Maritime and Science Technology High School, Key Biscayne
No. 82: New World School of the Arts, Miami
No. 95: Coral Reef Senior High School, Miami

Some fort lauderdale schools received honorable mentions. They gave out bronze, silver and gold medals to some schools:

Atlantic Technical Center, Margate (silver)
Fort Lauderdale High School, Fort Lauderdale (silver)
Mater Academy Charter Middle/High School, Hialeah Gardens (silver)
Nova High School, Davie (silver)
Pompano Beach High School (silver)
William T. McFatter Technical High School, Davie (silver)
William Turner Technical Arts High School, Miami (bronze)

The entire report is here link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 06:41 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
this is out of 100 school rankings

No. 15: Design and Architecture Senior High School, Miami
No. 57: Alexander W. Dreyfoos Jr. School of the Arts, West Palm Beach
No. 60: Suncoast Community High School, Riviera Beach
No. 66: Maritime and Science Technology High School, Key Biscayne
No. 82: New World School of the Arts, Miami
No. 95: Coral Reef Senior High School, Miami

Some fort lauderdale schools received honorable mentions. They gave out bronze, silver and gold medals to some schools:

Atlantic Technical Center, Margate (silver)
Fort Lauderdale High School, Fort Lauderdale (silver)
Mater Academy Charter Middle/High School, Hialeah Gardens (silver)
Nova High School, Davie (silver)
Pompano Beach High School (silver)
William T. McFatter Technical High School, Davie (silver)
William Turner Technical Arts High School, Miami (bronze)

The entire report is here link
Interesting. None of the top 100 are in Broward and all of the schools landing in the top 100 are magnet schools except for Mater Academy, which is a charter school. I see this as support for my opinion that the public high schools here are very poor.

This is a very densely populated area, you would think that there would be at least ONE regular high school that would make the top 100 in the nation. IMO none of the regular high schools in Broward are even decent, although the magnets have some decent programs.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:03 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
Riviera Beach ?!?!?

Old 12-19-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Riviera Beach ?!?!?
I'm pretty sure Suncoast is a magnet.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:39 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Yes Suncoast is a magnet school. Is Coral Reef a magnet school? I thought that was public. If it is public, it is located in a nicer area of Miami/Kendall so that makes sense that it would be better than average.

This also supports the fact that schools in nicer areas, or ones that draw from students coming from families with money, are naturally going to be better schools due to funding. Funding is also the main reason why schools in the rest of FL suck. People do not want to pay taxes to fund schools. That's really what it comes down to.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Yes Suncoast is a magnet school. Is Coral Reef a magnet school? I thought that was public. If it is public, it is located in a nicer area of Miami/Kendall so that makes sense that it would be better than average.

This also supports the fact that schools in nicer areas, or ones that draw from students coming from families with money, are naturally going to be better schools due to funding. Funding is also the main reason why schools in the rest of FL suck. People do not want to pay taxes to fund schools. That's really what it comes down to.
Coral Reef has something like 6 magnet programs.

There are plenty of schools around here (Broward County) that draw kids with money (Cypress Bay and Douglas come to mind) that are not that great.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:38 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Coral Reef has something like 6 magnet programs.

There are plenty of schools around here (Broward County) that draw kids with money (Cypress Bay and Douglas come to mind) that are not that great.
That might be true. But of the 6 schools mentioned, all of them are magnet schools or schools drawing from wealthier crowds. None are a poor, minority school. That was my point.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
That might be true. But of the 6 schools mentioned, all of them are magnet schools or schools drawing from wealthier crowds. None are a poor, minority school. That was my point.
Aren't all of the six magnets?

My point is that even in wealthier areas the schools here in South Florida are pretty stinky.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:09 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
It's not even just funding, it's the curriculum. Also, Fort Lauderdale could be considered a "poor, minority" school despite it's magnet programs that pull in a few students. Nova High is also predominantly black and nearly 40% free/reduced lunch. Overall I agree that school ratings are demographic driven, and more socioeconomically than ethnically at that, but I still believe the biggest factor in quality of education is the curriculum that the schools use, regardless of how the school is "rated".

Old 12-20-2009, 07:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Coral Reef is a magnet school. Also, it's in Richmond Heights, which is a working-class black area that while safe, is not known to be desirable. Most of its students, however, come from Kendall, South Miami, and other suburban areas south of Miami. Some kids even come from Pinecrest, which is a bit surprising given that Palmetto High (the school for which that area is zoned) has an excellent reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area