Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,878 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for all the info. I am thinking i may just stay here and try to get into the program at OIT a highly respected school here that has a sonography program. I loved Hawaii and am thinking south flordia is going to be waaaayyyyy different all ive heard is negatives pretty much, might just have to wait a few years and bring the kiddos for disneyworld and call it good LOL gosh i cant beleive how negative everyone is about it, is it cause your all ex new yorkers?? i heard they are negative about anything lol anyways really, thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 11:01 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times
actually, I think you're right, we're just a bunch of negative ex-nyers - why dont you move your family across the country based on your sight unseen premise that south florida is just like hawaii...it'll be great, just like on Lost. Only instead of The Others, there'll be Us. lol, anyways you're welcome!

Last edited by fauve; 12-30-2009 at 09:48 AM..

Old 12-30-2009, 12:20 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
That was such a stupid thing to say! I don't think she is going to find much in the way of help that way - as a ny'er I wonder if all people from Oregon say dumb things???

Old 12-30-2009, 11:15 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiew77 View Post
Thanks everyone for all the info. I am thinking i may just stay here and try to get into the program at OIT a highly respected school here that has a sonography program. I loved Hawaii and am thinking south flordia is going to be waaaayyyyy different all ive heard is negatives pretty much, might just have to wait a few years and bring the kiddos for disneyworld and call it good LOL gosh i cant beleive how negative everyone is about it, is it cause your all ex new yorkers?? i heard they are negative about anything lol anyways really, thanks for the help!
lex, you need to personally get the feel of the place and determine for yourself. There are pros and cons everywhere, doomsayers as well as daydreamers, people who see a glass as half-empty while others sip from a half-full one.

Things are pretty tough right now almost all over the good old USA. I've been on the path you are on, dreaming of living in sunny South Florida. I visited, did my research, talked to folks, used this forum...and decided for myself that as much as I absolutely hate winter, cold, dreary days, snow and slush, I'm better off staying up North in NYC in Queens and Manhattan.

That decision in no way means that Florida is not good for anyone...each individual circumstance can be different. Even amidst a struggling economy there in S. Florida, heat, humidity, bugs, hurricane threats, and traffic nightmares, others have moved and continue to move...some regret it and some feel that their move was the best thing since sliced bread!

Go on down, take a peek, talk to people in person, see with your own eyes...then decide how to proceed.

Best to you and family. Happy New Year!

Miles.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:24 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiew77 View Post
Seems you have relied and based your relocation on a few opinions of a forum, just when you think you've heard it all . . .

Old 12-30-2009, 07:18 PM

19 posts, read 50,408 times
Well ! I am moving. it is 19 degrees in MA now and it will be anything around 10 degrees after midnight, and yes going out is impossible and it is just the beginning. As for jobs, if you don't have certain skills it gets hard anywhere, you have to wait the cycle or take the down time acquirer new skill, and prepare for the next down.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:25 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
lexiew77>

I am not from New York, and I do enjoy living in S. FL. It is hard for me to imagine living anywhere else but here. But I would be lying if I told you things were wonderful here. This is not Hawaii. It is not a paradise here. We are in an economic depression right now and the job market is on standstill. This area has been hit harder than most of the country in the latest economic downturn. South FL is a major metropolis with many of the same problems as Detroit, Atlanta, L.A., and New Orleans. It is very built up and spread out here. It is not the Pleasantville beachtown you envision.

That said, we do have many overly-negative posters. Some of the negativity is warranted, and some is not. Many of them don't even live here. They live in places like North Carolina and Tennessee, but they love to come on these boards and hate on S. FL.

As I mentioned previously, the best thing you can do is take a trip here to S. FL. to see if you like it. There are many things to like here despite all of the problems. It is hot and sunny here most of the year, and you can donate all of your sweaters and jackets if you move here. You are never more than 30 minutes from the beach. Home prices have dropped about 50% the past few years, so housing is more affordable than in the past.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:41 AM

Nolefan - didn't you know that you must be from NYC if you are stating anything negative about the area - and what you said wasn't negative but the truth - you are a nyer alright - how dare you tell the truth about he place you live! It is awful that this is what the forum has come to - if you state the obvious you are considered as being a downer - nolefan, we don't always agree but I think your posts are objective and informative - they paint a pretty accurate picture of both sides - at the end of the day - I am glad that you like florida and probably wouldn't live anywhere else - good news to me!!

Old 12-31-2009, 11:09 AM

16 posts, read 70,149 times
Ft lauderdale sucks too many people, and dont even look at someone wrong when your driving road rage. Then the price of houses with zero lot line, no winter might get one day it reaches 35.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:31 PM

Tung, what???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area