Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2010, 07:28 PM

6 posts, read 52,127 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to a family friendly neighborhood in Ft. Lauderdale due to a new job near downtown. We have 3 children- all boys ages 1, 3, and 7. My wife and I, through our own childhood, value neighborhoods where other kids are around to play with safely outside. We do not currently have this where we live now due to mostly older folks living around us.

We particularly liked the Coral Ridge area (Bayview elem school district) due to its proximity to downtown, the beach, etc.

Have some concerns, however, on the density of young families with small kids with which they can play outside.

Is Coral Ridge a good area for us, or should we focus on neighborhoods further west- Weston, Plantation, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 09:01 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
My sis-n-law lives in coral ridge - while she loves it her only objection is the middle and highschool part of things - I don't think - they are rated very well.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:32 PM

7 posts, read 30,017 times
We're in Coral Ridge - living in a Condo at the moment trying to decide the same thing. Bayview Elementary is supposed to be a great school. There are a few kids/families in our Condo Building which is nice. We like the proximity to the beach so that's why Coral Ridge worked for us.

Weston is pretty nice too with good schools and a good amount of Families but it's far from the Beach (20-30 min inland). They also have more gated communities there which is where I think you'll get the type of Neighborhood feel your looking for...

Old 01-03-2010, 09:46 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Lighthouse Point and Cooper City.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:07 AM

Crisp, I agree Cooper City is great - top of my list - Lighthouse is very nice as well, the schools are just a bit questionable. That being said, I believe all of that has to be taken with a grain of salt - most of the advice giving on schools do not come first hand. It usually is a friend of a friend or in my experience through reading great schools.net - I am not sure if this is the best way to go, but it is the only option for me since I still live out of state.

Good luck on your search and congratulations on the move!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:09 PM

9 posts, read 29,367 times
I agree with Cooper City. Weston has a lot more gated whole sections within it and mid Towncenter is growing.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:05 PM

6 posts, read 52,127 times
We appreciate all of your input. Sounds like we're gonna have to do our homework- and look into Cooper City and Lighthouse point. Both seem like they are a pretty easy commute to the job in downtown Ft. Lauderdale. Cooper City, in particular, has a great set of schools in its vicinity. My wife and I favor the older style (post WWII built era) homes, which these areas tend to have some in its stock.
Once again, thanks.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:34 AM

Del - remember school - lighthouse point schools well - just look a little harder at Cooper city, Weston, davie - I think they will serve you a little better!

Old 01-06-2010, 01:17 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,177 times
Default Sunrise, FL voted as one of the best place to live!!!

I live in West Sunrise and really enjoy raising my family here!

If you like an active life with all the amenities (hockey, baseball, football, basketball, the beach, shopping, etc.) it is all here. You can be as busy as you want or just sit in the sun and enjoy the beautiful weather. The convenience to all the cultural events is a great plus and if you are a sports buff, you will have enough to keep busy.

There are restaurants galore in the area. Miami and Palm Beach are both close and many people commute to both cities. It is an ideal place to get out of the cold and enjoy life.

In addition, Sunrise taxes are less than several other cities in the area with tons of extras for city residents (ie: city trams, fireworks for 4th of July, parks, activities, senior center, children activities, good schools, close to colleges, and many more). Also, the Sawgrass Mills Mall and the ice hockey stadium are located in the city with many activities available at both places.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:12 PM

99 posts, read 304,031 times
I have friends who work in downtown, but commute from Weston - as long as you pick the right time to hit the road, you can get there in 30 minutes. The difference may be your preference for post-WWII era homes - most of Weston is fairly "new" or just not old construction. And that has a look about it... If you have a school in mind - then just follow the maps provided by Broward School Board, and keep your home search within the map of the chosen school's zone.

Most areas have lots to offer for children - I would begin with what you know and like about South Florida living and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area