Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 02:32 PM

123 posts, read 253,032 times

Advertisements

Looking for the best way on how to deal with a tenant issue, before I approach a lawyer.

I was renting a condo in Sunrise, and the lease expired at the end of April. I have no deposit on hand anymore (long story). The lease was to an older gentleman who required a caregiver, who lived with him, as well as her child. The lease is only in the gentleman's name, but all my dealings have been with the caregiver, who has been very difficult to deal with.

At this point, the lease ended at the end of April, and I'm not sure if anyone is still in there. A few days before the end of April, there was some emergency with the caregiver's child and police came over, and called me to get access. The caregiver's friend eventually came over to open the place up, and I found out that they had not packed anything up, and sometime in May there were lights on in the condo.

I've sent letters asking for the key to the lock and the mailbox key, but they've ignored my letters. I don't live in S. Florida, so it has been tough for me to find out what is going on. I had a realtor go by but she could not get in, because the tenant apparently changed the locks.

I am avoiding throwing more money at a lawyer to deal with this, until I know it really is an eviction situation, because I have contacted eviction lawyers and they don't want to even listen to what's going on, just anxious to do an eviction for $500. I don't know where to find info on my rights -- can I switch electricity in my name? Can I get a locksmith to open the property for me? If so, what if I find stuff (furniture, clothes, etc) in there? Do I dump that stuff in the trash? Is this something that I can call the police for to come over with me while I get the locksmith?

I want to make sure I follow the law, but don't want to waste more money on this place. I know I should not expect legal advice from here, but wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 07:12 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
You should ask in the Real estate section, most likely in the renting section, since someone is renting the place from you
//www.city-data.com/forum/renting/

Old 05-26-2015, 04:41 PM

351 posts, read 461,188 times
Your only option is to follow the eviction process and as soon as you start the better. Don't change anything, don't trash anything 'cause If you choose to ignore the law, you'll make things worse for yourself.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:09 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
$500 is cheap for a fix. Just do it.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:38 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
They are not supposed to change the locks, so you have to deal with it and find out the laws to change locks again so you have the keys.

As far as furniture left you might have to store it for a month. Look into the laws, like I said before this is not a Florida forum issue and I provided the link for you to get better answers.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:37 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,747,090 times
Send them a notice to vacate to be served to tenant personally or posted on the the door with a picture of it. It is a I think a seven or 15 day notice after that go through the eviction process which 500.00 if cheap to do and the sheriff will eventually remove them and thier property to the curb at which time you can change the locks.

I have to do the same process with a tenant with similar issues so count on at least a thirty to fifty day process from start to finish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: