Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:59 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,690,944 times

Advertisements

I appreciate all the responses. I def want to check out South Beach because of all your reviews.

We will be on Norwegian Cruises. Does anybody know where this port is? I'd like to be able to search it on a map to get an idea on hotels near the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 07:55 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,392 times
Talking Port Of Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I appreciate all the responses. I def want to check out South Beach because of all your reviews.

We will be on Norwegian Cruises. Does anybody know where this port is? I'd like to be able to search it on a map to get an idea on hotels near the area.
Just Google "Port Of Miami" and you will get more information than you need...lists hotels...parking...restaurants...things to do...etc...have fun

Old 02-01-2010, 07:30 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,080 times
Statz>

Hotels near the Port of Miami are going to be expensive, because that is downtown Miami. If money is not a factor, then you've got the Hyatt Regency (downtown), the Intercontinental, the Marriott, and several other choices. You also have in Brickell (near downtown) the 4 Seasons, JW Marriott, and the Conrad.

Now if you are on a budget, one hotel I'd highly recommend is the Hampton Inn in Coconut Grove. It is about a 2 mile drive from the port, located on US1 at the intersection of SW 27th Avenue. If you are renting a car, this is a very easy drive to South Beach and to the Port of Miami. You only need to take 3 roads to get to/from South Beach.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:45 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,120 times
Also Mandarin hotel on Brickel.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:04 AM

470 posts, read 1,193,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
If you take away the night life of both Miami and Ft Lauderdale which is nicer to visit? We really don't care about the night life too much because we'll get enough of that on the cruise. We'd just like to have somewhere nice to hang out during the day and maybe at night that is safe enough to walk around.
Still Miami. There's nothing to see in Ft. Lauderdale. You can have your pick between Miami, Miami Beach, or any must-go-to place in the Miami area (Dade County). Ft. Lauderdale is the least boring place in the Ft. Lauderdale area (Broward County) and it's still an only wants quite, boring, old person's paradise.

Between any place in Florida, especially South Florida, Miami is always the obvious choice.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:22 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,080 times
Statz>

You said you have to check out of the hotel by 12PM and be at the ship by 3PM latest. That is not very much time. I do not see how you even have any time to see Fort Lauderdale, since commuting back and forth would take 1.5-2 hours, maybe more depending on traffic. DO NOT underestimate traffic and commuting. I-95 can be murder between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. I would strongly advise staying in Miami. You've got everything you want to see right there. Commuting between hotel/port will be minimal. That way you can maximize your time before the cruise.

I would forget about Fort Lauderdale. Like the other poster said, there is nothing to see there really. It is a large suburbia with a small downtown and a bunch of high-rise condos on the beach. Miami is much more interesting. You do not need to go to bars and clubs to have fun. Take a walk on Collins Avenue, Ocean Avenue, Washington Avenue, and especially Lincoln Road. There is lots to see there. You can walk for a few hours, eat lunch, and then leave for the ship.

Also, are you renting a car? You probably don't need one if you are only going to be in Miami several hours. You can simply take a Yellowcab from the airport to Miami Beach for about $15-20, and then take one back to the port later on. I do not see the need for you to rent a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area