U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2007, 06:13 PM

975 posts, read 3,520,770 times

Advertisements

Apologize if this has already been discussed but is it common for people to commute to jobs in Miami from these other counties, or does one need to live in Dade to be close enough to work? thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 06:26 PM

6,853 posts, read 20,617,917 times
Many people live in Broward and commute to Miami-Dade for sure.

But not many live in PBC and commute to Miami-Dade. I knew a guy that lived in Miami and commuted to PBC, he eventually got an aptartment in PBC were he spent 4 nights at. He finally moved his family up to PBC. I also worked with a guy that lived in Coral Springs and commuted to Miami Beach each day. Another guy I knew, worked nights on Miami Beach, and lived in Naples.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:31 PM

122 posts, read 139,091 times
It depends. In brief, I would say people do regularly commute from Broward to Dade (and vice versa), but much, much less so from PBC to Dade. If you lived in Fort Lauderdale, Pembroke Pines, Miramar, Hallandale Beach, and other close by areas and commuted to Dade, you'd be fairly typical. In fact, it would be more feasible to commute to downtown Miami from some of those areas than it would be to commute from Homestead, in far southern Dade!

So. Fla's long north-south axis makes commuting a bit different than in lots of other places. In general though, we don't have (in my opinion at least, having lived in Atlanta for some time) the same types of congestion as you see in sprawling, low-density environments like Atlanta and Houston. I would take Interstate 95 in Broward/Dade Counties over Interstate 75 in Fulton/Cobb Counties, GA any day of the week! The busiest stretch of I-95 actually lies in Broward between Sunrise Blvd and I-595 (an interstate that services many of Broward's western suburbs.) With the explosion of population in western Broward, I-595 is now a mess as well most of the time, so be advised. In Dade County, the section of I-95 from the Golden Glades interchange into downtown is jammed from above 7AM forward in the morning and from 4PM forward in the evening; that's a distance of about 16 miles or so. If you were taking the Turnpike from Broward, this is the interchange where you would merge into traffic heading downtown (north of there, a "Homestead Extension" splits off of the Turnpike, leading to the far southern area of Dade.) In my opinion, 836 (the Dolphin) is the absolute worst highway in the metro area - lots of people living in western Dade use it to commute to and around downtown, and it also services Miami Int'l. If you're considering western Broward, you'd probably end up taking the Turnpike into Dade, which is generally less congested than I-95. I do actually have a friend who lives in Weston and commutes to Dade each day...not a drive I would like to deal with myself, but it doesn't seem to bother him

I would definitely not advise planning on living in PBC and commuting to Dade. I imagine some people do this, however, if they don't mind very long commutes. From Boca Raton in far southern PBC to downtown Miami is about 45 miles - you would be spending likely 1 to 1.5 hours, or more, in traffic each way every day. Add in a few of our torrential South Florida thunderstorms to your afternoon commute and the corresponding wrecks, and that commute would become nightmarish.

Last edited by florida_guy1234; 05-27-2007 at 06:46 PM..

Old 05-27-2007, 06:57 PM

1,770 posts, read 7,707,431 times
You' don't typically hear about it too often. One of my friends lives both here in PBC and in Little Havana though...

It's mostly from south Broward to Dade.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:33 PM

975 posts, read 3,520,770 times
thanks everyone

Old 05-28-2007, 02:54 PM

358 posts, read 1,747,339 times
would not commute from PBC to MDC

Old 05-29-2007, 07:54 PM

355 posts, read 1,489,107 times
I think some people take Tri-Rail, but for the most part, it is a headache of a commute.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:34 PM

1,770 posts, read 7,707,431 times
Actually, now that I think of it, I know someone that lives in Lake Worth (PBC) and commutes to Dade. But it's not something I'd recommend.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:32 PM

8,376 posts, read 28,686,643 times
From Broward to Dade is pretty much the norm south of I-595 in Broward County. I would pretty much say the area from Davie down southward would be the most common commuter suburbs for Dade. The traffic is not exactly INSANE in Broward as some people would lead you to believe on this website. I-75 never seems to have delays at any hour, which is your gateway to the Palmetto Expressway, a true hell!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or