U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 14,349 times

Advertisements

I am moving to South Florida in a few months. Probly the Ft. Lauderdale area. I have a pitbull for a pet so I need to find a place that I can rent that will allow him. He has been professionally trained in obidence and has been a great dog. I have found several nice places online but they have breed restrictions etc.. Please help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 03:01 PM

19 posts, read 81,499 times
I am not sure what places are pittbull friendly but, in ft lauderdale homeowners insurance (or at least mine) is higher if you own a pitt bull or doberman. I believe that is why they have breed restrictions.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:41 PM

876 posts, read 3,608,111 times
i know Sunrise makes you register the dogs with the city, otherwise its an arrestable offense.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:54 PM

621 posts, read 1,552,545 times
Ask around when you find a place youre interested in.. We have a german shepherd and a siberian husky, and although shepherds are almost always on the no no list, we asked the owner of our new home (and our current) if they would allow her to be an exception. She went through all her training as well, and is a certified companion dog. they are both super sweet and just the most amazing pets.

If you ask and can provide documentation or prove that your dog is friendly and/or not a threat, you have a good chance at getting in or being an exception. Good luck!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 02:03 PM

14 posts, read 54,293 times
I heard if you just tell different apartment places your pitt is mixed they allow them...

Old 03-21-2010, 01:53 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,181,711 times
I live in a nice new upscale townhouse in Davie. We're moving to North Carolina in September. When are you moving? We moved in saying we had a mixed breed with no problem, and then purchased my 2nd Pit and asked our landlord previously, she said it was fine. I actually see a few pits here in Davie. I think its a little less frowned upon here as this city is very animal friendly. Our complex is small (8 townhouses all together- 2 sets of four). and our unit is going to be avail in Sept, all others are either owned or already rented. But we received a letter saying there is another 13 going in shortly.
Also, a private landlord has a bigger chance of allowing a breed specific pass so to speak, rather than a rental community.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 13,858 times
shorty 4 lyfe: where is your townhome complex in davie?! we're trying to find a townhome to move into this summer and we're having the worst time finding somewhere that will welcome out sweet pit! my bf is graduating from NOVA and i am beginning there. could you email me possibly with the complex name or something!!! so excited to hear they let you have you dog! i would wait till sept it i had to lol thank you Moderator cut: please use dm...there are users who troll this site looking for personal email addresses

Last edited by fauve; 05-13-2010 at 12:47 PM..

Old 05-13-2010, 06:51 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,181,711 times
Nka08, i sent you a DM

Old 05-16-2010, 07:26 AM

27 posts, read 96,238 times
So, I'm a realtor up in MA, will be moving down to FL in July... but here's my 2 cents on the Pit...

1) Dog in general are difficult, I have a marshmallow of a Chocolate lab and fully grown runt of the litter is 60lbs and most places wont take dogs over 25lbs.

2) Most home insurance polices don't go up for Pitt Bulls, the simply wont cover them... If a claim comes in against a property for a pet they don't cover the LL is liable and will most likely have their insurance canceled.

It will be difficult but be honest with the LL and find a place that will allow the dog, offer to bring the dog along and let the person meet them, let them see how the dog acts when strangers walk by etc...

If you say they're "mixed breed" and something happens your fully liable and not a place you want to be.

Oh, and yes while not all LL are aware, insurance companies are fully aware that a "American Terrior" is most likely a Pit.

That said on a personal note, I know 2 Pits and they are the sweetest things you have ever met... it's a lot about how a dog is raised and broken and even a "friendly dog" raised incorrectly can be dangerous!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:43 AM
vr2

224 posts, read 753,943 times
These discussions always make me laugh.

I have NEVER met a Pit owner who swears their dog is the meanest, nastiest thing on the planet. Every pitbull is magically the sweetest dog, would never bite, raised properly, blah blah blah.

Then one day sweet Brutus finishes giving you kisses, then bolts out the door and tears apart the neighbors child. "But he's a sweet dog".

Dogs have triggers, EVERY dog has it. Pits are well known for it, and they go from sweet to brutal in a split second... but they are all sooo sweet. Bleh. Foolishness. Ignorance.

I'd say don't move down here at all, Moderator cut: offensive

Last edited by fauve; 05-18-2010 at 11:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area