Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times

Advertisements

This is the area in Delray Beach that I once drove into by accident. How? I worked in Delray, ways West of I-95 and occasionally took Atlantic Avenue to downtown Delray for lunch. One time on the way back from lunch I wanted to find another road to go back west, across I-95. Took a wrong turn somewhere. There was not such thing as GPS back then.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=26.456...,0.053644&z=14

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 02:50 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
compelled>

I have been to all of these places numerous times. Boynton is very nice. I cannot imagine a bad area in boynton. It is all gated retirement communities. A bunch of old white people living there driving Cadillacs and using walkers to get around. Can you specify which part of Boynton you're talking about? If there is a bad area, it is a drop in the bucket.

Lake worth is very "sketchy", but there are no ghetto's. There is a difference between sketchy and ghetto. Sketchy just means some wierd people, some bums, lower-income housing areas, some crime, and old run down buildings. Ghetto means you don't wanna walk through the neighborhood alone, especially at night.

Delray has one bad area near downtown and that's it. The majority of Delray is similar to Boynton. Gated housing communities and retirees. Not living in Delray because of that one bad area is like not living in Boca because of one bad neighborhood. Makes no sense.

Miramar- I am talking about East Miramar. Not your precious west miramar that is all new gated housing communities. And the area just south of Miramar is very bad once you cross into Dade County.

Downtown West Palm Beach (north side) and Riveria Beach are both worse than anywhere in all of Broward County. Aside from those 2 areas, there is not another area of PBC I am afraid to walk alone in. The county is very safe overall. It does have crime, but a lot of it is young punks. There is a young thug mentality in PBC that rivals that of Broward County's youth. I grew up and went to school there so I can tell you all about it.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:41 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
compelled>

I have been to all of these places numerous times. Boynton is very nice. I cannot imagine a bad area in boynton. It is all gated retirement communities. A bunch of old white people living there driving Cadillacs and using walkers to get around. Can you specify which part of Boynton you're talking about? If there is a bad area, it is a drop in the bucket.

Pretty much the entire area east of Congress Ave to US1 is bad, not exactly what I would call a "drop in the bucket". That area in Boca is a drop in the bucket, while pretty much half of Boynton is bad. Just drive up Boynton Beach Blvd from US1 or Seacrest Blvd and you will see. I saw some dudes covered in MS-13 tattoos at the Wendy's by 95, and will say that the crime rate is really high in Boynton until you get well west of Military Trail or east of the Intercoastal. Pretty much the entire area in between is either downright sketchy or, at best, in decline. Even some of the pretty communities out west like Lake Charleston get plagued by HUGE waves of burglaries, obviously a spillover from the east side.

boynton beach fl - Google Maps This is a typical street in Boynton between Congress and US1. Even the best areas pretty much look like a "good part" of Miami Gardens.

Lake worth is very "sketchy", but there are no ghetto's. There is a difference between sketchy and ghetto. Sketchy just means some wierd people, some bums, lower-income housing areas, some crime, and old run down buildings. Ghetto means you don't wanna walk through the neighborhood alone, especially at night.

Your description sounds like Hollywood. Lake Worth is LOADED with crime worse than any area in Broward and almost as bad as the areas north of downtown WPB. You definitely don't want to walk through Lake Worth at night, ANY part of it.

Delray has one bad area near downtown and that's it. The majority of Delray is similar to Boynton. Gated housing communities and retirees. Not living in Delray because of that one bad area is like not living in Boca because of one bad neighborhood. Makes no sense.

west Boynton is actually home to a lot of younger families, while Delray has the old people. I would tend to agree that west of Congress Ave they are fairly similar, though. I'm not saying that the bad area is a deal breaker, but it's also a lot bigger than you might think, as it pretty much expands the entire city of Delray between Swinton and 95.

Miramar- I am talking about East Miramar. Not your precious west miramar that is all new gated housing communities. And the area just south of Miramar is very bad once you cross into Dade County.

No. I'm referring to east Miramar. The whole area has seen better days but once you get more than two blocks from Pembroke Rd or State Road 7, there really isn't that much crime. Yes, a lot of black people live there and there are some lower income people, but that doesn't make it bad. See your description of "sketchy" and that describes east Miramar at worst. Most of the worst crime is actually towards the center, due to the close proximity of the areas in Miami you were talking about, and west Miramar just borders on Miami Lakes/nothing. It really isn't any worse overall than Sunrise or Plantation or any other city around here, it's pretty average and I don't understand the bad rap.

miramar fl - Google Maps

That's a typical street in east Miramar. You are mostly talking about decent, working to middle class people who aren't affluent but own their homes and take care of them. These neighborhoods are also dead quiet, day or night.

miramar fl - Google Maps

Here is the most absolutely subpar area I can think of in Miramar, and literally right on the county line off of State Road 7. It's also about the size of that bad neighborhood in Boca, and the rest of the area pretty much looks like what I showed you in the first link, except for Sherman Circle which is another small area out by Pembroke and Douglas that looks a little like Lauderhill.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:31 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Good post Compelled. That was well laid out, and I do agree with your description of said neighborhoods.

If we could only agree on Ocoee.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:31 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post

Why don't we go do a search again, and enter the same exact parameters? (Max price of $250k, 4br/2.5+baths). I could not find one, neither could you. Both our findings spoke truths, that you cannot find anything with space in Weston for $250k or less. Prove me wrong, if you can.
875 Garnet Cir Weston, FL 33326 : RealEstateBook.com

Homes for Sale in Savanna, Weston, Florida $249,000

134 GABLES BL, WESTON, FL 33326 (http://listings.listhub.net/pages/RAMDCFL/D1376092/?channel=gbase - broken link)

Miami, Miami Beach and Coconut Grove Florida real estate listings, home buying, selling and relocation information - NUMBER1EXPERT(tm) (http://www.1inamillionfillion.com/MyHomeDtl.asp?HomeID=926792&P=2000 - broken link)

There's more... just sayin.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post

134 GABLES BL, WESTON, FL 33326 (http://listings.listhub.net/pages/RAMDCFL/D1376092/?channel=gbase - broken link)

Miami, Miami Beach and Coconut Grove Florida real estate listings, home buying, selling and relocation information - NUMBER1EXPERT(tm) (http://www.1inamillionfillion.com/MyHomeDtl.asp?HomeID=926792&P=2000 - broken link)

The one in Savanna Weston looks decent for the price.

This model is concrete on the bottom and wood/plywood on top. Some other models in Savanna are concrete on both first and second floors, but more expensive.

Doesn't look like they opted for too many upgrades when the house was built (kitchen cabinets, counters, lights).

Although the paved driveway is an upgrade.

And laminate floors is an upgrade too, must have been done after the house was built.

Looks like a pretty big backyard, and decent distance from neighbor houses. Which is a plus. Not all backyards in Savanna are large.

The price is about what this house would have sold for 10 years ago. Maybe a tad higher than the starting price.

The hurricane shutters in the garage are not neatly stacked... might be some missing ones.

Roof seems to have been roughed up a little by hurricane Wilma (2005).

Old 02-06-2010, 09:26 PM

Check this out. I know this place and the owner very well. Was just walking my dog and saw for sale sign. Very nice house.

806 Hawthorn Ter, Weston, FL 33327 - Zillow

Old 02-06-2010, 10:34 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Check this out. I know this place and the owner very well. Was just walking my dog and saw for sale sign. Very nice house.

806 Hawthorn Ter, Weston, FL 33327 - Zillow

That looks like a good deal...especially if all is well inside...

Old 02-07-2010, 04:12 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post

These ("FEW") houses are nice. While they're nice, they're only a few compared to other markets. The houses advertised may sell fast, since they're aren't many. If that were the norm, it would be nice.

Affordability, lower taxes and insurance. Win win for every young professional couple, house shopping. (Even the greedy R.E Agents and bankers would benefit right now, if everything was priced right to begin with...speaking of years ago. 2000-2005).

Old 02-07-2010, 06:29 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
These ("FEW") houses are nice. While they're nice, they're only a few compared to other markets. The houses advertised may sell fast, since they're aren't many. If that were the norm, it would be nice.

Affordability, lower taxes and insurance. Win win for every young professional couple, house shopping. (Even the greedy R.E Agents and bankers would benefit right now, if everything was priced right to begin with...speaking of years ago. 2000-2005).
There are quite a few more, not just a handful.

People don't seem to understand that housing in South Florida IS quite affordable. I don't think many venture outside of the market down there and if they are, they're only going to small, cheap towns.

I can find something much better down there for the same price then I can up here in the Norfolk, VA area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area