Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:51 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Say what you want about South Florida and even Orlando ... it is rarely ever boring down here ... I think NC is beautiful and would love to go to Cary , Raleigh , Ashville or even Charlotte every year during the spring ... but I would not want to live in any of those cities .. they are nice ... but to slow for my taste . Again to each his own .... personally I am a Florida , California , Arizona and even Texas kind of person

Charlotte is slow? Hahaha. You obviously havent been there in quite some time I would guess.

I'm not sure what a "FL, CA, AZ, TX person" is.

PS- I'm glad some folks prefer S FL over Asheville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 01:18 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Charlotte is slow? Hahaha. You obviously havent been there in quite some time I would guess.

I'm not sure what a "FL, CA, AZ, TX person" is.

PS- I'm glad some folks prefer S FL over Asheville.
FL,CA,AZ,TX = heat , palm trees , spanish architecture , diversity , ( I like some latin or spanish influence ) golf courses , night life ( Los Angeles , Miami , Dallas/Houston ) and with the exception of Arizona .. ocean and beaches .

Again the Carolinas are lovely ... I just feel out of place there ... they are not for me unless I am on vacation .

I would choose San Diego or Austin , Texas in fact .. hands down over any city in the promised lands of the Carolinas , Georgia or Tennessee .

Old 02-07-2010, 01:43 PM

Arent you trying to move to Northern FL? So it's pretty obvious you apprecaite what North FL has to offer. I cant blame you, if I were to stay in FL, I'd be in North FL too.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:30 PM

622 posts, read 1,665,333 times
^ to each their own...... Im tired of being negative about WNC but you seem to go around with this holier than thou attitude.. how grateful you are that people want to leave NC and go BACK to FL... that you dont want those kind of people in NC anyway (your location says Orlando... in need of updating? Or are you just really happy that Floridians are leaving NC?)

FWIW, our business grew like crazy in the short time we lived here (internet-based, so it can operate anywhere) and provided several full time jobs to people in AVL.. yet so many AVL people are quick to tell Floridians to go back.. Amusing when they hear that a big, successful company like ours is LEAVING and taking full time, good paying jobs with them.. they dont have much to say afterwards.

Anyway, WNC is a great place to visit, but once we move back to FL, I'll never live anywhere else again.

and yes... the craziness of Florida.. I CANT WAIT to be a part of it again!

Old 02-07-2010, 04:37 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Say what you want about South Florida and even Orlando ... it is rarely ever boring down here ... I think NC is beautiful and would love to go to Cary , Raleigh , Ashville or even Charlotte every year during the spring ... but I would not want to live in any of those cities .. they are nice ... but to slow for my taste . Again to each his own .... personally I am a Florida , California , Arizona and even Texas kind of person
Not a NYC type of person? ....(j/k)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
but once we move back to FL, I'll never live anywhere else again.
Watch what you say. These are the same words that'll have you leave Florida again. Never say never, has never been truer (no pun intended).

Old 02-07-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Not a NYC type of person? ....(j/k)

Watch what you say. These are the same words that'll have you leave Florida again. Never say never, has never been truer (no pun intended).

Man aint that the truth! I'm a native Floridian and lived in Asheville for some time. Couldnt wait to get back to FL and moved to Orlando, and now, cant wait to get back to Asheville. Never say never. Believe me. We have had great memories here and we both have family here, so we still got love for FL, just not where we want to live anymore. I like North FL, like I said in my above post. But the things I like so much about Northern FL (not as hot, friendlier people, not having to deal with so many crazy idiots on the roads, etc) are even better (for what I like) in Asheville.

PS - a good friend of mine, originally from Tampa, moved back to FL after graduating with me in NC. He couldnt take it anymore either (not sure of all his reasons), but he left within 4-6 months of being back in FL and went back to NC.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Well being from NYC and living in Charlotte for 2 years by the way charlotte is SLOW...but that is what we wanted, we didnt want the hussle and bussel..but anyhow living in florida for 9 months and always visiting, I can tell you im DONE...I really dont understand why people leave anyhow, as a few of my friends and I are discussing my friend is here now 5 years and cant understand people fleeing but to each is own is what they say...We have moved alot but since this is where we planned to Retire we are here to stay

Last edited by Swimmom32; 02-07-2010 at 08:27 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Well being from NYC and living in Charlotte for 2 years by the way charlotte is SLOW...but anyhow living in florida for 9 months and always visiting, I can tell you im DONE...I really dont understand why people leave anyhow, as a few of my friends and I are discussing my friend is here now 5 years and cant understand people fleeing but to each is own is what they say...We have moved alot but since this is where we planned to Retire we are here to stay

There are many reasons why people leave SFL, berryjuice4life. I think you know that, so I dont have to give reasons as to why someone would opt for another place - but if you and your family like it, that's what matters. I have to disagree with you about Charlotte being slow, but you're from NYC, and I'm a native Floridian, so we obviously see things differently.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:44 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
There are many reasons why people leave SFL, berryjuice4life. I think you know that, so I dont have to give reasons as to why someone would opt for another place - but if you and your family like it, that's what matters. I have to disagree with you about Charlotte being slow, but you're from NYC, and I'm a native Floridian, so we obviously see things differently.
Very True..I will say my dh found it slow as well he is in corporate america however he also worked on wall street for a long time

No I know the reasons I was just saying that so many of the complaints after living here for 9 months my point was it really isnt any better anywhere else so to speak...and Your right people like different things, We were very unhappy in NC and although it wasnt for our family people just need to know that the grass isnt greener on the other side, and things dont always appear to be the way they are...and by running they will eventually see its no different than where they came from...obviously people transfer and not everyone is fortunate enough to pick where they think they want to live and for those people I can understand but always try and make the best out of it...I get FL isnt for certain people...I was just pointing out that there are alot of people that are very happy here who have come from other places, and I also have found alot of people from GA and NC that are coming back here...

Old 02-07-2010, 09:23 PM

Charlotte is 2nd to NYC in banking. Many folks from NYC chose to move to Charlotte for the quality of life (Clt is called "mini NYC", especially with all the folks from NY that have moved down there). But you lived there, so I'm sure you already knew all that stuff.

Back to what we were saying... yes, everyone has to find the place that makes them happy. FL isnt for everyone, nor is NC. Many of the folks that have moved to FL are from up north, it's like it's in their blood or something. I only know like 3 or 4 people that have moved from NC to FL (excluding my wife and I), and they have all been folks here on C-D, and they've all been from up north. those folks from NY or NJ (I find) are more inclined to choose a place like S FL over NC. Folks move to NC to get away from the S FL life, and I think that NY/NJ folks like the S FL lifestyle instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area