Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:59 PM

41 posts, read 108,888 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to relocate either to the Jacaranda area of Plantation or to Weston. Can anyone tell me how long a commute it is on Broward Blvd. to to downtown Ft. Lauderdale during rush hour from either of these areas? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 06:38 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
hope for the best, plan for the worst. 1 hour during rush hour, give or take.

I avoid rush hour by working from home until 9:30 am, then it only takes me 30 minutes or even less to get from my house in Weston to my office at I95 and Cypress Creek (this is Not downtown, although I think going to downtown will be similar in terms of time).

PS where in Westchester are you? I lived in Yonkers (Sprain parkway and Jackson avenue) for 4 years back in the 90's.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Plantation about 35-45 minutes depending, Weston about 45-60 minutes depending. Plan for the pessimistic estimate.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:36 AM

99 posts, read 304,131 times
The key is to find the "sweet spot" for the commute - literally, you will be able to get downtown in 1/2 an hour, if you leave at the right time. Any later or sooner and the timeframe is different. As for using Broward vs. 595, I think you would be better finding your specific commuting time on 595 and use alternates like Broward if it backs up due to an accident (www.traffic.com will give you up-to-date traffic info). Just so you know, Broward Blvd could be slow because of the number of lights that have to be traversed.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:10 PM

Broward Blvd usually flows pretty nicely because its traffic lights are usually nicely synchronized. A lot of cops know this and use Broward Blvd instead of 595.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:13 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Broward Blvd usually flows pretty nicely because its traffic lights are usually nicely synchronized. A lot of cops know this and use Broward Blvd instead of 595.
When we lived in Plantation my husband used Broward Blvd. It took him around half an hour to get to his office downtown in the morning. From Weston it takes him around 45 minutes in the morning, half an hour at night (he leaves after the rush).

Old 02-15-2010, 06:22 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
Broward Blvd has a million stoplights between West Plantation and downtown. I've done that drive at night and it is a pain let along during rush hour. Your best bet is to take 595 until you get to Marina Mile/SR-84. Exit there and take 84 all the way to Andrews Avenue. 84 flows very quickly as there is less traffic than Broward Blvd.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:41 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
I sort of agree with nolefan, but you might as well just go all the way to 95 because that stretch usually moves full speed. Broward Blvd can be ok, but your ride will be something like this...

From Nob Hill eastward the traffic flow is usually okay and light synchronization is usually okay until about Pine Island. Between Pine Island and University, you will get stuck at the FULL CYCLE of EVERY SINGLE light, including University, and it often takes a good 15 minutes just go move past that half mile. The issue isn't the traffic, but the lights are timed about as badly as they possibly could be timed. East of University, the lights are actually timed really well and you can get a pretty good ride. Like ruski said, the cops know about it, and they like to pull people over there sometimes too, so observe the 45 MPH speed limit. East of 95, the lights are timed pretty well but there is so much traffic that it can be kind of ridiculous getting into downtown. It can take 15 minutes just to get downtown from 95.

Anyway, I would actually go up Sunrise Blvd or better yet, Cleary Blvd to University, then take Broward Blvd from there, because the lights are timed better (also fewer of them) and that stretch of University isn't bad.

And coming from Weston, I would actually take Griffin Rd, and then do something like Nolefan did (maybe get on the turnpike from Griffin?) and head up Andrews Ave.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:46 PM

Now that Griffin got widened, I guess it would be a decent ride. Although I imagine it gets pretty busy near the turnpike.

Usually if I take local streets going East/West, I pick the ones that don't have entrances/exits with the Turnpike.

This is another reason I like Broward Blvd.

If going from Weston, stay on 595 until Hiatus, then drive north on Hiatus to Broward Blvd (no lights on Hiatus). Then you have a nice stretch all the way to University where you will get tied up a little bit as compelled to reply pointed out.

Also I think Peters Rd is not bad, it turns into Davie Rd and runs right into downtown.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:49 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
Griffin is the worst. The worst mistake I ever made was taking Griffin from Flamingo east to 95 during morning rush hour. You get caught at every major light. It is not efficient at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area