Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 11:51 AM

76 posts, read 298,945 times

Advertisements

According to a new Forbes Magazine study, young professionals rank Fort Lauderdale ranks SECOND in the nation as a city in which they are happy! Check out the link below. The #1 ranked city, Redmond WA, is somewhat of a special case as the home of Microsoft, so Fort Lauderdale effectively ranks first among normal cities.

The ranking is quite surprising, in my view, since we often think that Fort Lauderdale does not have many well-paying, corporate jobs. One would expect Atlanta or Seattle to rank much higher, but they don't. It cannot all be a matter of weather. Does anyone have an explanation?

The Happiest Cities for Young Professionals - Yahoo! Real Estate
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 04:23 PM

149 posts, read 465,765 times
This makes me laugh since people always say how Fort Lauderdale sucks on here and there are no jobs. Proves my point. Don't listen to a lot of the people on here!

**Great find retiree1

Old 09-15-2011, 09:07 PM

328 posts, read 1,396,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree1 View Post
According to a new Forbes Magazine study, young professionals rank Fort Lauderdale ranks SECOND in the nation as a city in which they are happy! Check out the link below. The #1 ranked city, Redmond WA, is somewhat of a special case as the home of Microsoft, so Fort Lauderdale effectively ranks first among normal cities.

The ranking is quite surprising, in my view, since we often think that Fort Lauderdale does not have many well-paying, corporate jobs. One would expect Atlanta or Seattle to rank much higher, but they don't. It cannot all be a matter of weather. Does anyone have an explanation?

The Happiest Cities for Young Professionals - Yahoo! Real Estate
I don't really agree with this. I'm a young professional who just relocated from Fort Lauderdale to Chicago. Fort Lauderdale has a few well-paying corporate jobs with a few major employers (Kaplan University, Citrix Systems, etc.), but the problem is that it's only a few.

I was stuck in a situation where I would not be promoted at work and there were few larger employers within Broward County to work for.

I know of young professionals who live there, but Atlanta, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco would rank higher on my list then Fort Lauderdale would.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:15 AM

76 posts, read 298,945 times
Below is a post that I found on the San Francisco forum that sheds light on the ranking. The young professional who did the posting apparently liked the life style of Fort Lauderdale but did not find the area rich enough in career opportunities.

I'm a few years out of college and currently live in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I decided a while ago that I wanted to move to an area that has more professional opportunities where I can make more $$$. I interviewed for a job last week in Emeryville and got the it. I'm stoked, but am still trying to get more information on the area.

Money isn't too much of an object as I would just be renting a 1 bedroom apt. I'm hoping to get a place under $1500/month. The big question is where should I live?

Since I'm moving out there solo, I would like to live in an area where there are a lot of cool, laid back blonde California girls. Here in Fort Lauderdale, there are certain neighborhoods where good looking people hang out (beach, downtown). Where would be the equivelant be in the Bay Area. I'm not interested in living around cosmopolitian, liberal elitist type of girls. Nor do I care to meet Asian girls (no offense to anyone, but I heard that is popular on the west coast ). Just looking for a neighborhood where there are down to earth, pretty girls that like to go to bars, football games, etc. How is Emeryville itself to live in? Any other recomendations?

Old 09-17-2011, 06:47 PM

438 posts, read 653,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree1 View Post

Money isn't too much of an object as I would just be renting a 1 bedroom apt. I'm hoping to get a place under $1500/month. The big question is where should I live?

Since I'm moving out there solo, I would like to live in an area where there are a lot of cool, laid back blonde California girls. Here in Fort Lauderdale, there are certain neighborhoods where good looking people hang out (beach, downtown). Where would be the equivelant be in the Bay Area. I'm not interested in living around cosmopolitian, liberal elitist type of girls. Nor do I care to meet Asian girls (no offense to anyone, but I heard that is popular on the west coast ). Just looking for a neighborhood where there are down to earth, pretty girls that like to go to bars, football games, etc. How is Emeryville itself to live in? Any other recomendations?
Emeryville is just south of Berkeley, which as you know is a college town, so there will be opportunities for you to meet women close to your age out there. A few things to consider though...

There's nothing (at all) about Fort Lauderdale that compares to the San Francisco Bay Area. Over there, the climate is cooler and so are the people and the scene. There's a reason why a lot of people who live over there don't want to leave---despite the earthquakes. Its spread out over a larger area than Fort Lauderdale and there are many more places to go and things to do. One drawback though is that Bay Area traffic can be a bear. Emeryville is on the water right across the bay...so you'll be living and working in a small-ish city and the big city is just a few miles away across the bridge.

Whhaaaat!!!!! You don't want to be near "cosmopolitan, liberal elitist girls"...and you're moving next door to UC Berkeley??? As far as the women go, you'd probably have better success at finding the the pretty, blonde valley girl types in more suburban communities much further south in the state (i.e. San Diego, or LA) where its sunnier and the people are a bit 'prettier'---especially if you're a pretty white dude and you're looking for a pretty white girl---a la Hollywood celebrity caliber of 'good looking'. The Asian-American community in California is huge, and you will find that to be moreso in the part of northern California where you are moving to than in the southern part of the state. Overall though, you will find that California girls (the native ones) are very different, and I mean that in a good way.

I'm assuming you've done your homework about living in the Bay Area and that you've planned accordingly in terms of the amount of income you'll need to be earning to have a decent standard of living over there. Also, unlike Florida, there is a state income tax in California so it is more expensive to live over there than it is to live in Fort Lauderdale. You need to be earning significantly more $$$ over there. I noticed you said you are looking for a place that costs under $1500/month. A small studio...maybe...but I'm not so sure you're going to find that level of rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in Emeryville. I was in the Bay Area for a while a few years ago, and when I was up there rents were $1600/month and up. The Bay Area is one of the most expensive places in the country to live. Rent is typically high, and so is the cost of groceries, gas, and pretty much everything else. You may be able to find a reasonably priced 1 bedroom in one of the outlying suburbs. Just make sure you don't go to Oakland.

As a young professional you're going to love it over there. Good luck with your move!

Last edited by JohnD_fla; 09-17-2011 at 07:02 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 08:07 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
This has got to be a joke. I love Fort Lauderdale, but it is NOT a top city for young professionals. I suppose if you wall off Las Olas from the rest of Fort Lauderdale perhaps. But not when you include the entire city or suburbs.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 AM

351 posts, read 1,126,905 times
I found this bizarre myself. I *am* the definition of a young professional so I feel qualified to speak to the issue. Yes, the entertainment and outdoors activities are wonderful, but the "professional" part is lacking due to the weak market for white collar jobs.

Of course, I am thankful to the magazine for this report, because it may generate an interest in business locating here and creating some professional jobs. Any attention is good attention, right?

Old 09-19-2011, 09:29 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,556 times
wow, forbes is way way off base with this article. i am shocked. i know so many frustrated young professionals who have left the area to pursue careers elsewhere. most smart people who grow up in broward county leave. the article is titled Happiest city and not Best city so it almost insinuates its a great place to visit and not live long term. there are many other warm weather cities with much better job markets (san diego, LA, SF, Houston, Austin) and mildish weather cities like atlanta, charlotte, raleigh, dallas also blow lauderdale away in terms of career options. Lauderdale is a great place for a young professional to spend 5 days in febuary or march. or a decent place for a young person not overly concerned with their career to party for a few years

Old 09-19-2011, 05:05 PM

And I guess if you find a good job in the area then everything is golden since a few of you make it sound like there are literally zero companies in the area and a young professional would be better off in North Dakota.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:11 PM

So is Forbes magazine lying or something? I mean, they are a highly thought of magazine. They wouldn't print this if it isn't true. My bachelors degree is in Communications (centered around marketing and/or advertising) and I have had no problem getting interviews with entry level marketing firms in Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, and Miami. It's not like my degree is something special. You just need to be on the lookout for which firms are legit and which aren't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area