U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 10:09 AM

21 posts, read 98,760 times

Advertisements

Have family coming in from upstate NY today and they want to do something that really is reflective of Florida and fun, no museums, just fun type things and not the Orlando scene. Was thinking of the Billie Swamp Safari, does anyone know anything about this, good, bad, or otherwise.
Thanks for your help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 11:28 AM

1,245 posts, read 4,432,547 times
My daughter's school went there for a 2 day field trip (from Tampa). It is very rustic. No heat or electricity. If it is really cold outside, it is freezing inside and you need to bring your own blankets. The kids brought sleeping bags and were still cold. The food is so-so. My daughter and a few of her friends said they weren't too crazy about the trip. It was kind of boring.

A friend of mine took her son there and had a nice time. I think it would be nice for a 2 day trip or even an overnight adventure. He was on this school field trip and did not like it.

If you want me to ask my daughter more about it, and give you mor information, let me know.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:55 PM

3,848 posts, read 8,803,901 times
The Real Housewives of OC went on a airboat and swamp buggy tour with Billie's. Looked like fun. I don't think anything is more Floridian than Mickey and an airboat ride!

Old 02-27-2010, 09:58 PM

65 posts, read 227,661 times
I also went with my daughter on a field trip.

I would recommend this on a nice sunny day, lately our weather has not been great. I went during the summer months and like the previous poster stated, the food was Ok and the overnight accommodations we saw, were extremely rustic (tents on the dirt floor with cots).

We stayed a couple of hours and had a great time. The museum is fantastic, you learn so much but the best thing was the ride on the Swamp Buggy we saw so many different animals and it was just plain fun.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:47 AM

157 posts, read 462,952 times
The swamp buggy ride is a lot of fun. It goes through some woodlands(hammocks). The driver tells you how the indians would live on the dry hammocks when most of the area was swamp. You see a menagerie of animals, native and African.Near the end of the ride you go to an alligator pond teaming with gators. By the edge of the pond is the largest alligator in the world. The indian guide said it was almost 20 feet long and over a 1000 pounds. Even the guide said this large alligator would never exist in the wild because it would not have the protected environment from rivals nor the ample food it is fed here in the enclosed pond. He said alligators continuously grow during their life if they get enough food.
Once back from the swamp ride you can look at the thatched huts the indians built and lived in.In one of the huts is a snake exhibition and other exhibits. you can rent one of these huts for an overnight stay. Very rustic. I like just spending a full day there with a picnic basket full of sandwiches, chips and drinks.
Needless to say, I would recommend this fun and informative jaunt.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:07 AM

6 posts, read 31,135 times
Visting relatives a few years ago, we took the kids there. We did the swamp buggy too and saw some interesting things, including the huge alligator. I think its name was Superman.

I found the Seminole story a very interesting one. Recommended.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:54 AM

157 posts, read 462,952 times
Default The beach too!

From Billie swamp safari drive east to Ft. Lauderdale beach and go to Burch State Park on Ft. Lauderdale beach(Sunrise Blvd close to A1A.). It is a neat little state park with barbecues, shelters , canoes, bicycles, etc. One can go swimming in the ocean from the park. You walk through a tunnel under A1A which takes you right on the beach. Then drive south on A1A to see the sights,shops, restaurants, go fishing on a charter boat, etc. This would be a stunning contrast from the Everglades. Also lots of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area