Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:08 AM

157 posts, read 598,954 times

Advertisements

Chelsa
I love your idea od an audit! I was talking to a teacher yesterday and we've decided that the best thing to do is to demmand one is done by an independent company of our choice (parents and teachers) we have the legal right to request that. She was telling me about this $280k check that was written to some construction company (by the school board) to do work that was never done and now nobody can tell where the money is...corruption written all over it! and here we are trying to maintain a proper education for our kids while the administrators at the school board get rich, it's sickening!!!!!
So....
I say we start a movement collecting signatures from parents and teachers requesting an audit, what do you think?
I can type up the petition and e mail to you guys if you send me a direct mail, and each one of you can work on your area while I work on mine.
Let me know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 11:26 AM

2,763 posts, read 6,736,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granitelady View Post
Chelsa
I love your idea od an audit! I was talking to a teacher yesterday and we've decided that the best thing to do is to demmand one is done by an independent company of our choice (parents and teachers) we have the legal right to request that. She was telling me about this $280k check that was written to some construction company (by the school board) to do work that was never done and now nobody can tell where the money is...corruption written all over it! and here we are trying to maintain a proper education for our kids while the administrators at the school board get rich, it's sickening!!!!!
So....
I say we start a movement collecting signatures from parents and teachers requesting an audit, what do you think?
I can type up the petition and e mail to you guys if you send me a direct mail, and each one of you can work on your area while I work on mine.
Let me know
That is a wonderful idea! A lot of adminstrators would have to worry about their jobs, because that is where the break down is and it is horrendous that the teachers and kids are paying for it. I heard all about the story where they wrote the check and the company doesn't know if they really received it or what - um hello call the bank see who cashed it and when - VERY SIMPLE - that is how every day people do it and guess what, it isn't done any differen't for big money! I hate that they think we are stupid! I will DM you!

Old 03-25-2010, 03:20 PM

157 posts, read 598,954 times
Update:
the teachers can't sign the petition in fear of losing their jobs! I guess the almighty school board if mafia and we're just starting to see the tip of the iceberg here!
But the parents can...so let's keep pushing this!
I'm not technically inclined (give me a break I'm 45 y/o) so anyone knows how to put something on the internet that we can provide a link for people to sing the petition online?
we might be able to get more signatures that way and I can ask the sunsentinel to publish the link.
thanks!

Old 04-16-2010, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,170 times
They need to shut down the smaller schools and move the kids to the bigger schools. They'll save money on personnel. If we don't write to the district offices, mayor, and governor, then they'll just go on with it. The teachers did a strike about their pay and the governor vetoed the bill. We need to do something for our children. Any thoughts?

Old 04-16-2010, 04:54 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,330,244 times
Momma_Bear, how much do you charge for music lessons??? I need to start saving for private lessons if I can't afford a private school!

Old 04-17-2010, 08:48 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,803,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Momma_Bear, how much do you charge for music lessons??? I need to start saving for private lessons if I can't afford a private school!
I charge $40 per hour. My son's piano and drum teacher charge the same. That is pretty standard for private music instruction for children. Some teachers charge $25 for half hour lessons.

Your son is much to young for private voice lessons. If your son likes to sing I would encourage you to join a church with a children's choir. That is the best place for little ones to sing. Private voice instruction comes later (middle school aged).

Piano is a great first instrument. It is so versatile and helps you with learning any other instrument. Kids can start piano at around age 6 or 7, younger if you can find a teacher who will teach really little ones. I can teach beginning piano but once the kids progress a bit I have to hand them off to a more proficient pianist (I am not that great on piano).

Is your son interested in music? My most successful students are led to music on their own, not by a parent.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:00 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,330,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I charge $40 per hour. My son's piano and drum teacher charge the same. That is pretty standard for private music instruction for children. Some teachers charge $25 for half hour lessons.

Your son is much to young for private voice lessons. If your son likes to sing I would encourage you to join a church with a children's choir. That is the best place for little ones to sing. Private voice instruction comes later (middle school aged).

Piano is a great first instrument. It is so versatile and helps you with learning any other instrument. Kids can start piano at around age 6 or 7, younger if you can find a teacher who will teach really little ones. I can teach beginning piano but once the kids progress a bit I have to hand them off to a more proficient pianist (I am not that great on piano).

Is your son interested in music? My most successful students are led to music on their own, not by a parent.
To be honest, he is not expressing much interest in music just yet, I just think it's a big disadvantage not to have weekly music lessons at his age, but I will follow your suggestion and for now try to get him to join some kind of choir and maybe eventually he will be ready for instruments lessons.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:18 PM

469 posts, read 1,323,132 times
My daughter does guitar at Jammin' Kids (she's 9) however, they do have a "little mozarts" program for piano. From talking to parents, piano is possibly the best way to start (FYI- we decided to follow my daughter's personal interest in guitar so that's why we went that route). Anyways- Italk to adad who has his kids in that little mozarts program (his kids are 4 and 5 I believe) and he is happy with the piano teacher- I don't know her name but I know she is from South America and is very pleasent when I see her interacting with kids. It is the same price mommabear quoted small discount if you pay for a bigger "package." My 6 year old has expressed an interest in drums so I am doing research on that now~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area