Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:41 PM

182 posts, read 502,434 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

After 2 and a half years we have finally made the decision to move over from Australia hopefully in August.

My husbands work will be in Ft Lauderdale.

I have kids 10, 8 and 7 (I have no idea what grade that is there, here it is Gr1, 4 and 5).

Could anyone help me with:
1) good area to raise kids
2) good public school (preferably primary and high school)
3) are there hidden costs in renting?
4) is it a bad time to buy a house?
5) where are more people moving to at the moment in Broward county (actually how do you even say that is it bro-ward, or broad, or brow -ard???).

I really appreciate all your help.
FF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 12:23 AM

actually I have just looked at a website for public and private schools and there are 100's! How on earth do you know where to start? Feeling a tad overwhelmed.

Thanks for your help

Old 04-10-2010, 12:26 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,918,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerfire View Post
Hi all,

After 2 and a half years we have finally made the decision to move over from Australia hopefully in August.

My husbands work will be in Ft Lauderdale.

I have kids 10, 8 and 7 (I have no idea what grade that is there, here it is Gr1, 4 and 5).

Could anyone help me with:
1) good area to raise kids - Weston, Parkland, Davie (west), Cooper City, parts of Coral Springs, Pembroke Pines (west), Miramar (west)
2) good public school (preferably primary and high school)- See above
3) are there hidden costs in renting?- Tax exemptions
4) is it a bad time to buy a house?- Yes
5) where are more people moving to at the moment in Broward county - The only areas that I have seen any noticable amount of new housing being built are Cocnut Creek and Miramar. I don't think this has as much to do with desirability as it does with both of these areas having some of the only significant amounts of empty land in Broward County. Coconut Creek is a decent area, but the schools are merely "average". The sections of Miramar that I see a lot of new construction in are towards the center, sandwiched between the well-manicured west and blue-collar east. This in between area is actually kind of dicey, if improving.(actually how do you even say that is it bro-ward, or broad, or brow -ard???).- "Brow-ard"

I really appreciate all your help.
FF

Old 04-10-2010, 05:02 PM

Thanks for that info - you have given me a lot to go on. Miramar sounds like it has land etc for development, but does that mean people are actually moving there, or just its the only land still left. Here in Aus those kind of outlying areas are being converted from empty rural land to new suburbs with a whole new community development. Here it is due to a lack of housing, is that the same there, or is it just land available not actually a lack of housing.

Thanks again

Old 04-10-2010, 07:09 PM

995 posts, read 3,931,175 times
What's your budget?

Old 04-10-2010, 10:20 PM

I don't really have one yet. Here we pay $2500/month on our mortgage so if we can get it for less that would be great.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:20 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,835,827 times
Too bad they no longer sell Holden Commodore (Pontiac G8) here, or you would fell right at home.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:31 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,056,440 times
Miramar has only a few large lots left in Country Club Ranches that you can purchase and build on. Everything else has already been bought or is commercially zoned only. Cooper City has a development with some nice houses...pre-construction....that they just started to sell. It looks very promising....and Cooper City is a great place to live in. Here is the site : Monterra | Cooper City, FL - Single Family, Estate & Townhomes, New Homes

Old 04-12-2010, 02:22 AM

Default West Davie, Miramar ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post

I am checking out a map of Broward county, when you say West Davie, West Miramar and West Pembroke Pines, do you mean West of the 441?

How far would these cities be from Ft Lauderdale in distance and time?

Is it common for people to live here and work in Ft Lauderdale or are they quite separate cities.

Thanks again

Old 04-12-2010, 09:23 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,715,358 times
Generally, they mean west of University Drive, or in the case of Pembroke Pines and Miramar, west of I75. If your husband will be working in Fort Lauderdale, your best bet will be to live in Cooper City, Davie or Weston. That would make it around a 30-45 minute commute. P pines & Miramar are best for commutes into Miami.

Last edited by fauve; 04-12-2010 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area