Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:03 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,768,637 times

Advertisements

I thought it was beautiful, but I'm sure there is more than meets the eye. Please tell me everything you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 12:41 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Pembroke Crimes?

I'm no expert of the area but I think it is rather pricey. I do not like the areas closer to Hollywood with the older homes. When I was less familiar with the area, I saw a girl getting robbed close to the Miami Dade campus so it wasn't a good first impression. I have never seen a robbery in the almost 20 years I have lived in Miami.

That area has everything though, and it's very close to Miami, I go there at least once a month for job purposes. but I don't know if I would live there because of my personal experiences.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Pembroke Crimes?

I'm no expert of the area but I think it is rather pricey. I do not like the areas closer to Hollywood with the older homes. When I was less familiar with the area, I saw a girl getting robbed close to the Miami Dade campus so it wasn't a good first impression. I have never seen a robbery in the almost 20 years I have lived in Miami.

That area has everything though, and it's very close to Miami, I go there at least once a month for job purposes. but I don't know if I would live there because of my personal experiences.
Really LOL - the area you are talking about is the old Pembroke - the are I'm talking about is right next to Weston - but has everything like you said - I really liked it but I was only there for a few hours - I'm trying to imagine the getting robbed scenario. How could that happen, everything is gated and there is really no place to walk to. That is awful all the same.

I liked the diversity of the area! I loved Weston but there is nothing there. Where in Miami do you Live Princess? I liked that it was pretty central 25 minutes from Ft. Lauderdale and 30 minutes from Miami - the schools in the area that I was looking at were all rated very well. I'm hoping to get there to see what element comes out of the schools.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:35 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,712,467 times
The idea with Pembroke Pines is to try to stay west of 75 and get your kids in the lottery program. My husband taught in the charter middle school the first year it was opened and not impressed, but it was their first year. Ive never heard another negative thing about the place.

We lived in Grand Palms for 5 years. You get a LOT more house for the money and similar surroundings to Weston Hills Country Club in GP, and this is how we ended up there. We moved FROM Weston in the Ridges. Ironically, the people who bought our house were also from the Ridges.

Both areas are heavily Hispanic, but I would say that Pembroke Pines very generally speaking is Hispanic from Dade County (2nd generation middle class Cubans) and Weston is Hispanic from South America (primarily Venezuela) and probably more upper class. GP was somewhat of an exception to this rule, as it seemed more Anglo (Jewish) and South American on whole. Older areas of Weston and the new Pembroke Pines (like GP and Chapel Trail) have more of an Anglo presence due to the large shift from Dade County in the early 90's following Hurricane Andrew.

I would highly recommend Grand Palms because of one simple reason - it is right next to 75 and the commute from the western reaches to 75 can be a nightmare in the morning. If you do end up in downtown Miami, Pembroke Pines will shave ten minutes from your commute as opposed to Weston and you would save at least another ten to fifteen minutes by living in GP. I commuted there and it took me 45 minutes, though this was before P Pines was fully built out.

Last thought. House-price wise, Western Miramar must be a buyer's paradise right now. It is also another exit closer to Miami... Western Miramar would definitely be 2nd generation Cuban on whole.

Last edited by fauve; 03-15-2010 at 05:12 PM..

Old 03-15-2010, 02:40 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Pembroke Pines is just south of Weston. It is nice as long as you stay west. The eastern areas of PP are not as upscale as the western areas. Schools are better in the west also. PP is less expensive than Weston, even in the more upscale western parts of PP.

IMO Weston makes an easier commute to Fort Lauderdale, but PP makes an easier commute to Miami. For couples that have one person working in each location PP is pretty nice. It is heavily Hispanic in the western areas (as is Weston).

I don't like PP because it is very congested. However, for those looking for a little bit more house for the same money the western area of PP might make a nice home. It's also closer to Miami if that matters. There are some nice developments in the western parts of PP. The eastern part is pretty icky.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:13 PM

Well the part of PP that I am speaking of is definitely the western part - I thought it was beautiful and I love the convenience of it. Funny that you said Ft. lauderdale is easier from Weston, because my thought was that Weston was closer because the exit for weston was before the exit for PP - I'm still investigating areas and all of this is new to me. My girlfriend lives in Cobblestone and it was gorgeous, definitely no icky parts. There are some beautiful homes in Towns Gate - if anyone is familiar with that development. Nothing is set in stone but need good ideas.

I thought Weston was gorgeous, but the idea of going to other places to shop was a bit annoying. I am not looking into Mirimar - I like PP and that is as far south I will go.

Fauve I sent you a personal email - did you get it?

Old 03-15-2010, 03:28 PM

Chelsa, I spilled coffee on my keyboard and cant access my gmail right now because the password contains the numeral one, which wont work on this keyboard (argh). I'll check it later when I get my hands on my daughter's netbook.

Cobblestone & Towngate are terrific location-wise - across and adjacent to Grand Palms. If you thought they were beautiful, you really need to get into Grand Palms. The housing in GP is everything from apt vlllas, townhouses, etc all the way to million-plus homes. The landscapng is very Weston-esque and there is a golf course in the middle. There is also a hotel, fitness center and restaurant on the grounds along with a few small parks.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Chelsa, I spilled coffee on my keyboard and cant access my gmail right now because the password contains the numeral one, which wont work on this keyboard (argh). I'll check it later when I get my hands on my daughter's netbook.

Cobblestone & Towngate are terrific location-wise - across and adjacent to Grand Palms. If you thought they were beautiful, you really need to get into Grand Palms. The housing in GP is everything from apt vlllas, townhouses, etc all the way to million-plus homes. The landscapng is very Weston-esque and there is a golf course in the middle. There is also a hotel, fitness center and restaurant on the grounds along with a few small parks.

I love that you have lived everywhere lol - I'm looking it up now!!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I love that you have lived everywhere lol - I'm looking it up now!!

haha, glad it's good for something

Old 03-15-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
haha, glad it's good for something
Love gp - very reasonably priced - no can I ask what the hoa is - am I going to get sticker shock?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area